Skip to content

Did the Jester get a buff?

2»

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

@Oxford_Guy Since Overhaul were under contract with Wizards of the coast not being allowed to change original game content, I seriously doubt that it has changed. I wish i knew where the game file was for it so I could check, alas I do not.

Changing game mechanics is not the same as changing game content, and Overhaul have certainly changed some of the game mechanics in BGEE (e.g. neither throwing axes nor throwing daggers add the strength bonus to damage currently, though am not sure if this is a bug that will be fixed)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    @MurrayConfederacy Wow a PC with lower CON score than Xan. We don't see them often enough. :D
    elminster said:

@oxford_guy, having looked at the abilities in Near infinity with the help of @elminster (thanks! btw) I can confirm that the jester does follow what Volothamp's Comeuppance details.

I've modified my jester save throws to be "-9" in near infinity (under confusion) and I've found that I now never fail regardless of the enemy (I don't actually use the ability much regardless). So I think the "2" originally listed is actually a +2 for the enemies rolls (beneficial for them).
    Okay so in relation to my original question, it looks like:

1) The save "bonus" is beneficial to the enemies (makes it easier for them to save)

2) The save "bonus" is actually only +2, not the +4 reported in-game and in the manual.

Have the discrepancies in the descriptions been bug reported yet!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317

elminster said:

@oxford_guy, having looked at the abilities in Near infinity with the help of @elminster (thanks! btw) I can confirm that the jester does follow what Volothamp's Comeuppance details.

I've modified my jester save throws to be "-9" in near infinity (under confusion) and I've found that I now never fail regardless of the enemy (I don't actually use the ability much regardless). So I think the "2" originally listed is actually a +2 for the enemies rolls (beneficial for them).
    Okay so in relation to my original question, it looks like:

1) The save "bonus" is beneficial to the enemies (makes it easier for them to save)

2) The save "bonus" is actually only +2, not the +4 reported in-game and in the manual.

Have the discrepancies in the descriptions been bug reported yet!
    Yes but i don't think this information was brought up if it was. I know this came up in another thread though.
    Okay, so Jesters look "okay", at least the "penalty" to enemy saves is only +2 not +4, but I think I'm going to play a Skald for my parallel bard run-through
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    It still doesn't change the fact that the confusion effect is still garbage because they have to fail twice in a row to even have a chance of acting different (the first failure happens too late in the round to effect their action). If the confusion effected lasted 2-3 rounds, it would make it much more likely to be useful.

Until you get slow or above, the Jester song is a waste of time. You can literally be more effective shooting something at the enemy then singing.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    edited December 2012
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jester song:

level 1:
    confusion every round (7s), save vs. spell at +2

level 15:
    confusion every round (7s), save vs. spell at +2
    slow every round (7s), save vs. spell

level 20:
    confusion ever round (7s), save vs. spell at +2
    slow every round (7s), save vs. spell
    sleep every round (7s), save vs. spell at +2

There is no maximum HD limit for sleep (unconscious) effect, unlike some wizard spells. Magically sleeping opponents can be attacked with substantial bonuses. Attacking unconscious character will cancel the effect of sleep.

Jester song bypasses magic resistance and is not dispellable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jester song is essentially free, instant casting of Confusion with +2 save, Slow (level 15), Sleep (level 20) with +2 save every round that ignore MR and are not affected by enemies' HD.

There is one BIG advantage of Jester song... Effects of Jester song bypass magic resistance and are not dispellable (confirmed Loup Garou being affected). So characters with high magic resistance like Sarevok and Loup Garou are not immune to Jester song. Combined Sleep and Slow effect also imposes some serious AC penalties and can make some tough battles quite easy. But of course one has to use level cap remover (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover) to get level 15 and 20 Jester songs.

So get your jester boots of speed, cast buffs such as spirit armor/mirror image/stone skin, start singing, start running around and watch your slowed/unconscious/confused enemies making futile attempt to hit Jester while your party members pelt them with spells and weapons. Cast Greater Malison for even more lulz. Fun time!

I agree that Jester may not be as powerful as Skald or Blade, but more fun to play, IMHO.
    Post edited by leeho730 on
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    @leeho730 I think that using invisibility would be more effective than all those buffs you mentioned, especially when combined with non-detection. The jester can still sing whilst being invisible and enemies can't touch him because they unrealistically don't know he's there.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    edited December 2012
    Been playing as Jester. Jester is actually better than I thought in BGEE.

I am now in Chapter 3 and I've met two Assassin groups. Casting invisibility, singing and confusion enemies works wonders. Made those two battles piece of cake. And the best thing about confusion is that confused spellcasters don't seem to cast any spells while confused. (nah, wrong, they still do)
    And in BGEE enemies don't have good saves due to low level setting so around 2 out of 4 enemies seem to get affected on average -more than enough to drastically lower the difficulty of a battle.

I agree that Skald is quite powerful, basically Luck x2 for all party members indefinitely. But Jester is fun, too, in BGEE where enemies have low save vs. spell.
    Post edited by leeho730 on