Skip to content

Regenerated CDKey

A little mistake has happened to a player on my server, nothing so serious as not to be solved, but I think it is appropriate to report it.
After playing with the head start he passed (like many others on the server) to the steam version, but the CDkey has changed! This obviously did not allow him to immediately login with the characters he was playing earlier and i had to move the files to the new folder created inside the servervault to solve the problem.
We tried to understand if he had followed a different procedure from the other players, and apart from some minor differences the only detail that seemed relevant was that at the time of steam installation, the head start version was not installed (the user had just reinstalled the operating system)

I hope to have been of help in case it happened to some other Admin, Ali

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited February 2018
    It might have happened because when the user had reinstalled his OS the CDkey from the Beamdog Head Start version was changed to the new CDkey from the Steam version.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • AlibertoAliberto Member Posts: 80
    It just happened ...
    A user on discord warned me that he no longer saw his characters and I verified that he could not because he was simply using a different cd-key .... how is that possible?

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Steam and BD client versions use different CDKeys, so that could be a reason.
  • AlibertoAliberto Member Posts: 80
    are you sure? I have several users who have switched to steam and have not changed cd-key, imo depending on the type of procedure that is followed
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Steam and BD do have different keys. What might have happened is that they share the user directory (Documents/Neverwinter Nights) where cdkey.ini is placed. So if the person already had the BD version when they installed steam, it wouldn't overwrite it and it would keep the old CDKey. But if you install steam freshly (or uninstall BD version), it will add the steam CDKey.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Correct. Steam and BD client versions use different CDKeys, but the (new) Steam key appears only if the player doesn't have the cdkey.ini in the Documents folder (for example, because of deleting the folder).