Skip to content

The redeeming of the terrible, horrible, no-good NWN Original Campaign for the EE

Playing a bit through the Original Campaign, it occurred to me the daunting challenge that will be to sell NWN:EE to a new generation:

The Original Campaign (which every new buyer will try first) sucks terribly!

The DLCs are excellent compared, but now I remember why I played the OC exactly once in my lifetime, though I played the DLCs (or NWN2) multiple times (or the BG series countless times):

The OC is clunky, badly balanced, unchallenging, so very... rectangular, and poorly written.

All but the last two are redeemable in a new EE rendition!

Now, I imagine that Beamdog is contractually obliged to leave the OC content untouched and is better off developing a new campaign....

... BUT ...

... what if Beamdog released an Original Campaign-plus at no-charge:

NOT a complete re-do of the OC (would take too many resources for too little return), but a minor tweak of the broken systems in the OC:

1. Fix the rest system (**TOP PRIORITY**).
This would render dungeon-delving to have consequences, rather than squatting to refill spellbook every other minute. Relatedly, remove or redo the Stone of Recall thing. (Even SoU replaces it with a more dignified version.)

2. Fix the clunky Henchmen (Already mods do this partially.)

3. Incorporate some merits of other DLC contents (Feats and skills added after the OC; maybe toss in mount or so.)

4. Fix the annoyances. (e.g. at tutorial, laziness is rewarded by giving you XP to level to exactly to 1000 and 3000 XP, so you may as well skip fights)

---

.... and 5.:

(and this can only be done beyond the scope of such a simple OC overhaul)

FIX THE DAMN AI!

After playing BG with SCS, NWN is a joke. I don't imagine ever revisiting it more than once ever again unless it gets better AI.

Now, this may not be easy. Personally, I am happy to pay $20 just for an AI-overhaul DLC. (This remains true today also for IWD:EE and PST:EE.) Come on, Beamdog...

Comments

• Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Beamdog said that they won't be touching the original modules. But they have given 100% permission to authors to redo them as they see fit. Isn't that right, @TrentOster ?

Personally, I wish theya allowed us the editing and datamining of premium modules. I didn't dislike the OC, but the PM were just great.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    I didn't come here to rain on your post but I love the OC and all the PMs. HotU is not one of my favorites though.
  • NWN_TömlNWN_Töml Member Posts: 90
    To rework such a huge module/ campaign is a no go imo. The workhours they could probably put into a complete new exciting adventure instead.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    That is why exactly I argued:

Don't re-work the whole module. Just fix some blatant issues. (e.g. rest system)

I also would have them rather do an original module.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    On one thing the op is right: the OC is boring as hell
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    How can this be if the Russian community says the OC is the best thing about NWN and the primary focus for the game?

After all they made so many votes just to add more stuff to the OC and made it very clear that reworking, adding more side quests and extending the OC is how to make NWN EE a success. It's the most voted on thing of all now.

What should Beamdog do?

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm against rest restrictions, because it's unfairly prejudicial against spell casters. NWN is not Baldur's Gate. There is no party team where each member fills a specific role, and the wizard has a specific job to do, such as identifying items or conserving his spells for crowd control, anti-mage spells, or occasional nuking.

In NWN, the poor wizard has to handle combat mostly by himself. He gets his familiar and a summons to help tank for him at lower levels, but they become increasingly ineffective as levels increase. He can take a fighter companion, but lose out on rogue functions. If he takes rogue levels himself, he gimps his spell progression. If he takes a rogue companion, he loses a fighter companion. If he takes the pixie familiar, he loses an effective combat familiar.

Frequent recharging of the spell book is the only way a wizard, and to some extent the other spellcasting classes, can keep going through the game.

Fighters, on the other hand, can go for as long as they have potions. A fighter could theoretically complete an entire game without resting a single time.

The NWN OC in many ways is more like Diablo than it is like BG.

Lots of mod-makers agree with the OP, and really have it in for casters. They restrict rest through their mod-settings. And a lot of them just flat out state in their mod notes that players are better off playing a melee class. I generally won't play mods like that.

@Savant1974 has mild rest restrictions in "The Saga of Aielund", (about every 4 game hours), but he compensates by making wands, staves, and even crossbows that cast Magic Missiles readily available throughout his campaign. He also gives casters the ability to cast buffs on both themselves and a familiar or animal companion with a single cast. He does take away 24 hour creature summoning, though.

What I am very much for is improved AI in the OC, because the companions are of very limited value in combat due to stupidity and horrible gear. Just being able to access their inventory and give them better gear would be a huge improvement.
  • NWN_TömlNWN_Töml Member Posts: 90
    Improving the AI would be great yes. For every kind of combatant!
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited February 2018

How can this be if the Russian community says the OC is the best thing about NWN and the primary focus for the game?

After all they made so many votes just to add more stuff to the OC and made it very clear that reworking, adding more side quests and extending the OC is how to make NWN EE a success. It's the most voted on thing of all now.

What should Beamdog do?

"A good upbringing means not that you wont spill sauce on the tablecloth, but that you wont notice it when someone else does" - Anton Chekhov
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    speaking about the rest feature, how about it doesnt take a million years to do so, holy crap is it arduous, i think it takes at least 15 seconds to rest. Why? that is 100% pointless and makes the game drag on for no reason, slowing down the pacing to a crawl, and ALSO speaking about rest this "you cannot rest because there are enemies nearby" get out of here with that garbage, it should be changed so if an enemy is not in sight you can do so, i remember playing the one dungeon that was filled with the mino-something er rathers ( the stunning minotaur golem things ) and i wanted to rest but i couldnt because there was one on the opposite side of a solid 10 thick wall with the closest door being a mile away *sigh* stuff like that is annoying, so i definitely agree that the rest mechanic needs an overhaul, because what we have no is crap

thankfully i was a fighter/monk/weapon master so as soon as i found a ring of regeneration, i never rested again, but people who like playing spell casters, woof, that would be terrible

and i agree with @BelgarathMTH that NWN is more like diablo than BG

but i also agree with @Ygramul that NWN is clunky, especially at low levels, oi is it painful, but i think the main reason for that is because you don't have an actual party, and only having 1 attack per round really hurts

• JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    I like the OC, even with its warts. There are some stellar bits of dialogue, for one thing. For another, the scope of it is pretty big, and it does cover a lot of ground. It is perfect? Heck no. Is it the worst thing ever made? Heck no.

It seems like some of the stuff people want fixed could be accomplished by modders, enabled or disabled with a setting, etc. It's a matter of taste, of course, but to me saying rest takes too long, for example, is only short of saying "why have rest at all? Why can't everyone just insta-heal as soon as they take damage? In fact, why take damage?" ;) Just kidding, but still, limits and such are what makes a game fun, to me. Everyone has different tastes though.

-JFK

• SaintPhillipSaintPhillip Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2018
    Ive always wondered why resting wasnt actually expanded upon-

For instance have the potential for wandering monsters , perhaps assigning watch and setting traps to allow for more potential safety- Must rest to scribe scrolls etc..etc...

This is one thing that always bugged me about nwn- Resting was just there to recharge spells and it could have been so much more- Even other classes should have to rest when afflicted by certain debuffs or if injured in specific ways.

That aside- nerfing rest would be detrimental to the wizard (especially at early levels) for reasons already explained. In multiplayer this would be negated by other toons to deal with trash mobs and such but in single player it would just be frustrating beyond belief... If its about 'difficulty' then nerf saving to disallow save scumming or autosaving every 10 steps.

edit- As far as the time it takes to rest I think its fine and wouldnt even mind it being longer- But I like a bit of downtime between major fights so thats a personal thing.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited February 2018
    There is no redeeming the fact that the OC main plot is a never ending series of fetch quests. Look only to the side quests for salvation.
    Keep in mind the system it is based on, heal skill typically only heals a small amount per rest not per use, clerics regain spells once per day and pray at a holy time not per rest, divine scrolls can't be used if you don't have access to the spell normally. Some spells don't even exist and some spells work differently like greater restoration which isn't a full heal. When you rest your hitpoints are also not necessarily restored but follow the same rules as the heal skill which simply increases the multiplicative amount for each tick of time, depending on 8 hours or 24 hours. Resting also helps you recover from fatigue and exhaustion effects.

The default rest system is more action orientated whereas the original system isn't. There are very good reasons that a martial character has to rest in a d&d game but by default NWN leans heavily towards a light and easy mode design. None of that is really present in NWN by default. I don't think it's really a needed feature unless you're actually going to do something with it, like some mods and servers have had custom rest systems.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    JFK said:

I like the OC, even with its warts. There are some stellar bits of dialogue, for one thing. For another, the scope of it is pretty big, and it does cover a lot of ground. It is perfect? Heck no. Is it the worst thing ever made? Heck no.

It seems like some of the stuff people want fixed could be accomplished by modders, enabled or disabled with a setting, etc. It's a matter of taste, of course, but to me saying rest takes too long, for example, is only short of saying "why have rest at all? Why can't everyone just insta-heal as soon as they take damage? In fact, why take damage?" ;) Just kidding, but still, limits and such are what makes a game fun, to me. Everyone has different tastes though.

-JFK

I don’t mind the OC either. If you consider that it has to encompass the abilities/ play styles of every available class in the game or the bleaters will be out in force complaining they’ve been short changed then I think it goes ok. For myself I found SOU the least enjoyable of them all. Even though some really clever things were showcased in it. If you don’t have resting as a penalty then what’s the alternative I’m wondering. An endless fireball spamming wizard. Would be fun but it’s getting toward the realms of platform games IMO. The only option then would be to use a ‘mana’ bar which I dunno, same thing in a different dress.
    As @fardragon said,
    Resting should take 8 hours lol
    It all comes down to taste, and people's tastes differ. I can respect anyone's ideas on any of it, but I think sometimes we wish only for what we THINK we wish for, and not for what will really make us happy. No restrictions might make some folks happy, and if so, cool. But I think it'd turn boring quickly, myself.
    Sure, in D&D resting is resting: You can't sleep wearing plate mail, for Pete's sake. You gotta eat something or you'll tip over! You need expensive components for some of those spells, fella. HOW much are you carrying around with you?
    So, yeah. Pretty easy restrictions compared to D&D, but that's okay too. ;)

-JFK
    Off topic but one other thing I remember is wizard spell books.
    Weren’t the old rules like a wizard needed their spell book. If lost or stolen they are basically powerless? Obviously this was never fully implemented in nwn.
    I think the latest version of D&D they can cast but can’t learn or stuff. Wizards relying on a hallowed spell book for their power that they have to carry around would of made for some awesome RP shenanigans!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    MrDamage said:

Off topic but one other thing I remember is wizard spell books.
    Weren’t the old rules like a wizard needed their spell book. If lost or stolen they are basically powerless? Obviously this was never fully implemented in nwn.
    I think the latest version of D&D they can cast but can’t learn or stuff. Wizards relying on a hallowed spell book for their power that they have to carry around would of made for some awesome RP shenanigans!

in the pen and paper 3.x edition of dnd that is true, if a wizard does not have their spell book(s) they are completely powerless unless they take that feat that allows them to cast INT+ ( some arbitrary number ) of spells without their spell book
    Define old rules, they require a physical spell book at least as far as 3.0 and 3.5 is concerned, the main difference with AD&D is the price per spell or total spell capacity I believe.

A wizard spell book is only needed to memorize spells. It is however not inherently magical so it can burn or be ruined. The wizard still knows the spells and can scribe a new one but requires it for memorization. Reading another wizard's spell book is difficult and requires study and various checks.

The main problem with spell books is that they're heavy but typically magic items don't count towards max weight when worn so you also have more carrying capacity.

A priest is also required to have a holy symbol for many spells.

Typically most problems are "solved" but not necessarily implemented.

Define old rules, they require a physical spell book at least as far as 3.0 and 3.5 is concerned, the main difference with AD&D is the price per spell or total spell capacity I believe.

A wizard spell book is only needed to memorize spells. It is however not inherently magical so it can burn or be ruined. The wizard still knows the spells and can scribe a new one but requires it for memorization. Reading another wizard's spell book is difficult and requires study and various checks.

The main problem with spell books is that they're heavy but typically magic items don't count towards max weight when worn so you also have more carrying capacity.

A priest is also required to have a holy symbol for many spells.

Typically most problems are "solved" but not necessarily implemented.

The version 3 rules such as at @sarevok57 points out. They need the book to prepare their spells thus if it’s lost/ stolen so are their spells. I might just be having a moment but maybe in the original rules, I’m sure wizards actually had to read from their books while Casting. Not sure, doesn’t matter, could be completely wrong.
    No, I believe they're stored in their mind and fade when they are used, one of the editions references this as a magical energy structure of some kind stored in their mind. The 1976 (reprinted in 1980) article "The Dungeons & Dragons Magic System" by Gary Gygax also explains the reasoned structure of required spell components. It references the spellbook as required for re-memorization of the spell once the psychic mnemonic thereby the spell fades from their mind, spell activation itself is verbal and sometimes somatic, rarely material.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Spellbooks are only required for memorising spells, even in the earliest editions. If your spellbook was lost you could scribe any spells you currently had memorised into a new book, for a cost.

As far as I know, 5e is the only edition that allows some casting (rituals) straight from the book.
    Commonly referred to as 'Vancian' magic (After author Jack Vance's magic system), the system is a wizard has a spell book that contains every spell he or she knows. They get a book when they become a wizard, with a small number of spells and some blank pages to add spells to later. In order to cast a spell they have to memorize it first: they need to be rested, have peace and quiet, and study the spell from their book. This impresses the spell onto their mind, preparing them to cast it. In addition, if a spell requires a material component (a bit of cloth, a feather, whatever), they need to have that too. Then, at any time, they can actually cast the spell. Casting the spell releases the magic, and their mind is wiped clean of the earlier preparation. To cast it again, they need to again memorize it, which requires their spellbook, a quiet place, being rested . . . on it goes. They can choose to memorize the same spell more than once, for example they might memorize Magic Missile twice, and be able to cast it twice before having to memorize it again.

They have a limited number of 'slots' to fill each time they memorize, based on level, Intelligence, and perhaps a few other things.

They can choose to scribe a memorized spell into a spellbook instead of casting it.

Anyway . . . . ;)

-JFK
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    Ah the good ole days of memorizing magic from spell books. Rolling with a percentage that you could even learn the spell in the first place. Could only learn so many spells based upon your intelligence. You even had to learn your cantrips. Get up every morning to learn your spells for the day, and only if you got a good nights sleep the day before.

A wizard with no spells is a man with a knife and a pointy hat. :p
    There's always wands, staves, scrolls, potions, and other magic gear. Plus, he's a really, really, smart man with a knife and a pointy hat. ;)

-JFK
    some advice for wizards who have lost their spell book.

(Explicit language)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited February 2018
    In my experience there were an awful lot of dead 1st level guys in pointy hats on their very first adventure... Ah, 1ed and 2ed (slips into monty python yorkshire man voice)... Eeee, but tell the kids today and they baint be believin' yers...

TR
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Regarding resting, "Harp and Chrisantenum" (a very good quality mod for NWN 2) had a good system for resting. You could rest as usual (as long as there werent enemies around) BUT, if you did that, you lose an XP bonus given at theend of the chapter. They could make mini chapters and give us a bonus if we dont rest out of "legal" areas like taverns and so on. That would give a good incentive to be careful about what you do
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Good point.

I think rest control is the singularly most important issue here.

After getting bored to hell with NWN1 OC, I am currently trying the NWN2 OC -- but with a mod that makes Storms of Zehir kind rest and death restrictions:

- you can only rest once per 8 hours (about half an hour of game time) and
    - if you die (bleed out at -10 HP), you are dead! There are a handful of "coins" to restore you: they are finite in number and not cheap.

Basically, you must prepare with potions and healing kits for a dungeon romp and use your spells sparingly

The difference is like night and day.

*** Suddenly, NWN2 campaign is worth playing as a no-reload, i.e. it is worth playing at all! ***

This is the one simple fix that the OC in NWN1 needs to go from a for 4/10 chore to a respectable 7/10 experience. (On a scale where B2/TOB clock at a 9/10.)
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I don't want to shock anyone but I enjoyed the OC and thought that the rest system was OK. I along with a lot of other people absolutely hate resting restrictions. For casual gamers and those who play mainly for the exploration aspects of the game, such restrictions are a definite turn off. Instead of calling for them to be incorporated (as you appear to be doing) into the normal difficulty setting why not ask BD to create a new hard core difficulty setting that has them?

TR