Skip to content

Feature request: per-tileset overrides for global shaders

LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
While testing in EE some tileset I started developing in 1.69, I stumbled on an issue that is caused by a combination of global shaders and tileset mesh/texture characteristics.

To illustrate it,

1.74 screenshot, all shaders disabled:

1.74 screenshot, using a tuned-down AO shader courtesy of @Soren (the effect is still too strong and creates artifacts though):

1.74 screenshot, with the high contrast shader enabled on top of the AO shader (artifacts are less visible, but just because contrast flattens all dark areas to pitch black):

The AO artifacts can be considered a feature, and the geometry adjusted to a degree, to generate more artifacts and smoother/more curved. But it still enforces restrictions on the volume of the meshes, and the HC shader tends to trash all dark textures regardless.

So I'm proposing a few changes on the way global shaders are handled, which should be easy to implement (according to @Sherincall ) and which would not only fix the issue, but also extend the range of options for tileset artists.

Right now, global shaders are toggled on/off by UI settings, and can be overridden globally by dropping the edited files in the override/haks, but both options lack granularity. While retaining this mechanism, I'm proposing a cascading system, that has at the top level the ability to specify alternative shaders to override the global ones - it would be implemented either/both by extending the .are and .git file formats to store the area-specific overrides, and/or by using the (incoming?) NWScript shader API, which would allow us to modify it dynamically (which incidentally would allow for global "area effects" on the fly according to any parameter).
Just under the area overrides, there'd be the tileset level, in which the author could specify such global shader overrides (the same way as we can specify a different 3d grass texture) in order to avoid the issue I've illustrated above, but also as a new tool to globally affect the overall looks of the tileset.
At the bottom of the cascading system, the user would still be able to disable all global shaders for performance reasons - sacrificing some of the artistic effects and features.

So, to summarize: can we have support for global shaders overrides in the .set file format, and in the .are or .git file formats?
Post edited by LaputianBird on

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Even though this is tagged as "Feature request" and this is the Trello discussion forum, this is directly related to: https://trello.com/c/J2dEDD8o/8-improve-shader-support-for-content-creators

And also indirectly related to https://trello.com/c/ZXE8CSow/60-improve-shader-communication

Extending the GFF to store the custom shader info shouldn't be a problem. Same with the .set. It could also be added to the environment presets.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    How does these areas look/react to lighting? Just curious.
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    I didn't add tile lights yet, but I can show you with a torch

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Thanks, I was wondering too how it look with the different shaders, like the total black one. Do it basically look like a black textured wall?
    With the High Contrast shader and a light source

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

Even though this is tagged as "Feature request" and this is the Trello discussion forum, this is directly related to: https://trello.com/c/J2dEDD8o/8-improve-shader-support-for-content-creators

And also indirectly related to https://trello.com/c/ZXE8CSow/60-improve-shader-communication

Extending the GFF to store the custom shader info shouldn't be a problem. Same with the .set. It could also be added to the environment presets.

Added the link to this thread to those two cards, thank you!

Added the link to this thread to those two cards, thank you!

Cheers, @JuliusBorisov

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    That flying bird was bugging me then I realised who and where from it reminded me of. It should have a female warrior called Taarna from "Heavy Metal the Movie", riding on its back.

TR
    She'd need to be some extremely tiny woman. Speaking of which, when are we getting the character rescaling feature, @beamdog ?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

She'd need to be some extremely tiny woman. Speaking of which, when are we getting the character rescaling feature, @beamdog ?

Such questions are best suited for livestreams!

Only if that grants me an EE t-shirt.

I was joking!

Only if that grants me an EE t-shirt.

I was joking!
    An EE t-shirt :) A t-shirt enhanced for +5 Charisma.
  • murdrkittenmurdrkitten Member Posts: 3
    murdrkitten casts Animate Dead.

I was told there was happy fun times here, and lo and behold, I found a very good suggestion. Showing my support!

*unapologetic necromancer*