Skip to content

(Dragon+) An interview with Trent Oster and Jonathan Hill

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
Dragon+'s new issue is out.

Mark Bonnington chat with Jonathan Hill and Trent Oster about vibrant communities and modern-day mods.

Don't miss it here.

Comments

• BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    edited February 2018
    EDIT: Nevermind. I forgot about the trolls.
    Post edited by Balanor on
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    It doesnt say anything new and it doesn’t say anything about “no fpc”
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    Grrr,
    Trying to check this out on my phone but keep getting nagged/ blotted by annoying app download request. Will have to wait till I get home *sob*
    MrDamage said:

Grrr,
    Trying to check this out on my phone but keep getting nagged/ blotted by annoying app download request. Will have to wait till I get home *sob*

Worst site I have ever seen for mobile. You need a pc
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Staran said:

But it says the same thing we have heard but to a new audience.

They already have our money and our interest.

:)
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Always cool to hear about my favorite game! Nice to see the project getting good exposure with interviews like this. Thanks for sharing!

-JFK

Staran said:

Yeah it does guys kinda as @Balanor I think picked up on too.

Quote:
    "Neverwinter Nights was always about the philosophy of 'When I play D&D I don't run the party, I run my character,'" agrees Oster.

To me that is infact kinda sayin no FPC

MrDamage said:

Staran said:

Quote:
    "Neverwinter Nights was always about the philosophy of 'When I play D&D I don't run the party, I run my character,'" agrees Oster.

My philosophy was always to drink eat and play as much video games as I could. Then I hit my 40’s and all of a sudden I needed to change my philosophy to accommodate the change in the enviroment.

No amount of AI in the world will get the henchmen to work the way you want so you need to allow them to be controlled in some way. Either by creating an entire new power command interface or allow character switching.
    If not, I can’t see this product flying in this gaming environment.
    Staran said:

MrDamage said:

Staran said:

Quote:

My philosophy was always to drink eat and play as much video games as I could. Then I hit my 40’s and all of a sudden I needed to change my philosophy to accommodate the change in the enviroment.

No amount of AI in the world will get the henchmen to work the way you want so you need to allow them to be controlled in some way. Either by creating an entire new power command interface or allow character switching.
    If not, I can’t see this product flying in this gaming environment.
    Hmmm yeah, my mid 40’s is around about the time my social filters started to go. You start to see things differently once you’ve been around the merry go round enough times I reckon. Not the kind of person I want to be so
    I keep an eye on it but I still slip up sometimes.

The FPC debate has got to be the biggest one on this forum since ‘add 4th multiclass’ died down. I’m sure the other thread for it is longer then a toilet roll. Your view is shared by many more Who’s gameplay style is more impacted by it then others who preside more in the multiplayer side of it I guess. It doesn’t look good for it at the moment but you never know.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Unfortunately I can't read the article on my PC. It appears to link to some kind of phone app, and there are no scroll controls on my browser window. Clicking on the article header does nothing. So I can't even find the text.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @BelgarathMTH use your mouse's scroll wheel. I just used my browser (Opera) without any extra app and was able to read it perfectly. As to the interview... All about pws and multi-player again. Being a dyed in the sp guy I am getting fed up of this lack of acknowledgement for that side of things.

TR
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Sorry I missed it. What is this fpc you speak of?
    Full player control.
    Basically since AI will never be able to be effective, the ability to switch to the other characters in your party to “right” them.
    Like in bg, nwn2, iwd....
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    I actually believe NWN will get FPC after a while. But you can't really fault people for wanting a focus on the stuff they personally like best. Trent says he likes the DM-ed party (so do I) best. However, that doesn't mean he won't be for implementing party control at some point. Everyone's tastes vary. I play a lot of SP, but I never really care to have henchman with me when I do. Personal preference. I don't want to concentrate on them, I want to concentrate on ME (my single PC). Others love full party control.

The article isn't about excluding party control, I don't think. It's an excitement the devs feel about the DM Client and replicating traditional D&D on NWN. This excitement happens to match mine. ;)

Cheers all,

-JFK
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    I have never played a persistent world or a multiplayer game, these are not my thing and no matter what improvements are made I won't play them. So for me Full Party Control is a feature that will make my game playing more enjoyable. But I won't begrudge any improvements that make multiplayer games better for other players.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    I thought they weren't my thing, I was so wrong. It's what NWN was made for.
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    I certainly think that persistent worlds are a backbone of the vibrancy and longevity of NwN. Many of the "big names" of the custom content scene are associated in some way with persistent worlds (Lord of Worms, The Amethyst Dragon, to name a few). It's just the particular road that the game has gone down. Certainly we will see all sorts of QoL improvements, some that we cheer and some that we boo. I think there's room enough for all of us in Neverwinter, yes?
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129

I thought they weren't my thing, I was so wrong. It's what NWN was made for.

I loved both back in the day... but let’s be honest, both DMed games and any meaningful interactions in PWs are significantly more time consuming than single player, where you can play whenever you want and put it down for a week or two if you find yourself short on time.

To me, the resistance to FPC is a resistance to the single player experience. And like TarotRedHand I too find it somewhat disenheartening to be told I’m plsying the game wrong.

I imagine the same can be said not only for more players like me, but for builders who spent time crafting story driven modules with fleshed out companions.
    All good advice Voidofopinion. I keep oscillating between ramping up my enthusiasm and just letting it go.

Maybe the game’s development focus takes it in a direction that’s not for me. Doesn’t mean it’s not a good game, and doesn’t mean I won’t support beamdog in general.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    @cherryzero

I have had to do the same about a number of features.

However, I find solace for now in the knowledge Beamdog seem determined to keep as much of the original game as is. The only thing I really wanted was 4K support and I got it. So I can't complain too much about everything else so long as it seems to be opt in.

For what it's worth I hope that you and others get the full party support you want, or the show of interest convinces some inventive content creator to take on the project.

Thanks!