Skip to content

I understood what NWN really lacks, from an immersion perspective

Neverwinter lacks a "Codex" part of the journal. I had to reinstall Dragon age to test Ninja Ripper, and I noticed how much I missed that from NWN.

D&D lore is rich. It would make a superb addition to any future adventures, especially if there is the possibility of making it modular and/or module-dependent.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Oh goodness me. Officially on the roll. Thanks!
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    I've never played Dragon Age. What do you mean by a codex? Is this something similar to the lore system used in The Witcher? Which is sort of like an in-game monster manual (without the game stats).
    edited February 2018
    Grymlorde said:

I've never played Dragon Age. What do you mean by a codex? Is this something similar to the lore system used in The Witcher? Which is sort of like an in-game monster manual (without the game stats).

That and more: you collect small pieces of lore, such as letters or books? they appear there, multiplied in terms of text and immersion.

Have a look here, be careful of spoilers however: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Codex:_Magic_And_Religion
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Oh a codex. When I read it on trello I thought you meant a coda i.e. a postscript that is added to the end of the journal as the last thing to be read before exiting a module.

As someone who has released three modules, I would support this only if it is generated by the game itself. Otherwise think of the grind of adding this level of detail by hand...

TR

Oh a codex. When I read it on trello I thought you meant a coda i.e. a postscript that is added to the end of the journal as the last thing to be read before exiting a module.

As someone who has released three modules, I would support this only if it is generated by the game itself. Otherwise think of the grind of adding this level of detail by hand...

TR

The framework? of course. But then you have to fill it.
    Surely it should be possible to automate at least a part of that. For the creatures at least. Otherwise it adds a lot of work to creating your module.

TR

Surely it should be possible to automate at least a part of that. For the creatures at least. Otherwise it adds a lot of work to creating your module.

TR

Not just for creatures I assume. I think journal, books, notes etc.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Sounds cool. I think you could make adding stuff your character comes across an option:
    You read (examine) a book about the Great Shambling Mound of Frithen Firth. When you close it, you get a message:
    Do you wish to add this information to your Codex? Yes/No

When you defeat a monster, the descriptive text could be added if you choose that option.

That sort of thing?

-JFK
    JFK said:

Sounds cool. I think you could make adding stuff your character comes across an option:
    You read (examine) a book about the Great Shambling Mound of Frithen Firth. When you close it, you get a message:
    Do you wish to add this information to your Codex? Yes/No

When you defeat a monster, the descriptive text could be added if you choose that option.

That sort of thing?

-JFK

Yes, but usually without the choice LOL
    Farewell Freedom of Choice, Hello Freedom From Choice... B)

TR
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    ;)
    Which is strange because my memory used to think NWN as deeper than Dragon Age.
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    It sounds like the DA codex is quite similar to the system in The Witcher. As such, a builder could implement something similar today. For example, reading a book or hearing Grandma tell a story could add a journal entry. But you would need a separate "quest" for each monster, race, etc.

What we really need is the OnDeath script bug fix. Today, it is very difficult to get scripts to fire reliably when a creature dies. Once that bug is fixed, then it is a simple matter to add or update a journal entry on the death of that creature.

So that leaves me wondering, do we really need a codex when we have a journal?
    Grymlorde said:

It sounds like the DA codex is quite similar to the system in The Witcher. As such, a builder could implement something similar today. For example, reading a book or hearing Grandma tell a story could add a journal entry. But you would need a separate "quest" for each monster, race, etc.

What we really need is the OnDeath script bug fix. Today, it is very difficult to get scripts to fire reliably when a creature dies. Once that bug is fixed, then it is a simple matter to add or update a journal entry on the death of that creature.

So that leaves me wondering, do we really need a codex when we have a journal?

We need both.