Skip to content

Help! Game Crashes When Trying to Save or Load Games

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
For BG2, heavily modded game.

Here is my dmp file (I think this helps you guys figure out what's wrong, right?)

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    HALP PLEASE

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @booinyoureyes, unfortunately I don't have anything that can read the dump file...

A couple of Qs that may help with fault finding:
    - Does the game always crach when saving/loading files?
    - Is this with current games; have you tried starting a new game to see what happens?
    - Are you running Windows 10 and did you receive an update recently (may have overwritten some drivers or added a)?
    - Is the game able to start? If so, when does it crash?
    - Have you installed/updated any new mods?
    - When did it start crashing? Only recently or from a certain point in the game
    - Can you provide your 'WeiDU.log' and a saved game?

That's a starter, once we get an idea of the config, there is likely to be more...
    Gus
    Thanks so much @Gusinda !

I just installed all the mods I wanted, and it was working fine. It stopped all of the sudden.
    It crashes when saving/loading (always)
    I'm able to start a new game, but not load existing games.

Here is my weidu log and my saved game:
    No probs, we can only but try...

When you said that you are able to start a new game, are you also able to save and load that game?

Is the crash occurring on all of your saved games, or do you just quicksave and therefore only have a limited selection of saves? It might be that the crashing is due to the latest area or interaction, and a saved game prior to that might load. If so, do you remember what it was that happened prior to the last save?

The saved game you uploaded is actually only the .BMP. Unless you have a compression tool like WinRAR or 7Zip, you will need to .zip the game by right clicking on the folder, select 'Send to... Compressed (zipped) Folder', then upload the .zip.

Having a quick look at your WeiDU.log, I am thinking this is for BG1 and the game with the prob is BG2 or does it happen with both?

BTW, the Tweaks Anthology being used for your BG1 is out of date. The version installed is Beta 4, but the latest version is v4.0.

Gus

Thanks @Gusinda

Here is my saved game

The crash occurs when trying to load any game. I don't even get to the screent hat shows my saved games.

It does not happen in BG1, only BG2... and here's the weirdest part: it only happens in Shaodws of Amn. Throne of Bhaal and Black Pits work fine!
    edited March 2018
    Hi @booinyoureyes, can you also post your WeiDU.log for BG2?

Thanks
    Gus

Edit: Also are you running the 2.5.x beta version or v2.3.67.3?
    Here you go @Gusinda
    I'm running v2.3.67.3

Thanks for being the best
    Hi @booinyoureyes, after I stripped out a couple of items and spells (due to not having the mods on my current install), I was able to load your saved game which seemed to run smoothly.

You indicated earlier that the crash happened when trying to get to the load game screen and only in SoA. This could indicate a problem with one or more of the saved games (maybe a corruption). Could you try the following:

- Go to your ..'Documents/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition' folder and rename 'save' to 'save.old'.
    - Create a new folder called 'save'.
    - Start the game and attempt to open your load game screen (there should be no saved games to load).
    - If you are able to get to the load game screen, quit from the game and copy '000000079-Gnome Cleric Ranger' folder from 'save.old' to 'save', start the game again and try to load the saved game.
    - If it doesn't work, delete the saved game and try another one (earlier save) and see how that goes.

Let me know the results...

Is 000000079-Gnome Cleric Ranger the latest save? If it isn't and the above works, try copying the latest saved game to the 'save' folder and loading that (after trying with 000000079). This is a known good one for me at least.

If it does work and you are able to load the game, you could copy each of the saved games one at a time and try to load each one. If the program crashes, then it is a likely canditate, remove it and try the others.

If none of this works, then let me know and we can then look at something else.

Also, from your WeiDU.log, your are also running an outdated version of Tweaks Anthology in BG2EE. You might want to look at replacing it for v4.0.

Thanks
    Gus

@Gusinda You saved me!

I deleted all the quicksaves then loaded it up. Completely worked! Thanks so much