Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been announced! Visit to pre-order, apply for the Head Start and check for details. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Need help with Dragon's Eye!

I am currently on the second level of Dragon's Eye, and am located at the lower left hand corner of the map. I approach a room where there is a pyramid, guarded by trolls and Talonite shaman priests. Every time I enter that room, the priests cast HOLD on my characters, and I cannot defeat them all without my characters dying quickly. Any help is appreciated!

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 2,141
    That is one of the toughest fight of the game IMO.

You need to use the corridor on your favor as a choke point.

But to build an strategy I'll need to know about your party. Classes and levels minimal.

• Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 537
    Some summonings of cannon fodder usually help a lot. Say, Animate Dead and the like. In the choke point, as stated above. They'll hopefully help bear the brunt of any disabling spells aimed at your party. Then a healthy dose of damaging spells usually gets the job done, combined with various helpings of missile weapons from behind the cover. If your summonings are of a weakly sort, keep up their numbers to hold off the melee attackers from your party. Trolls usually pack a punch, so you'll most likely have to summon more meat. Even more so, if you hit some of your own summons with spells, which you probably will as well.

Now, you'll want to apply some buffs as well (Chant/Bless etc.), because some spells still might get through and affect your party. Whatever helps you make the saves, at least, or Freedom of Action, if the Hold spell gives you much grief. I've never had much trouble picking off anyone left standing after that amount of punishment myself. Trolls might be a bit of a hassle, if you're low on acid- or fire-based spells, ammo or potions. At one time I had 2 potions left to fry the Trolls, and I had to time it just right, so they were knocked out right besides one another to scorch 3-4 of them in one shot.

But that's just a standard approach, I suppose.

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 450
    Yes, that chokepoint is essential, I think. I've won that fight by casting Web and Grease into the chokepoint and have a wall of summons (Animate dead) between the trolls and my party. And then weaken them with any missile weapons and mass-damage spells I have available. Damn trolls and their regeneration though...

You don't have access to Cloudkill at that point in the game, right?

• Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 537
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 708
    Use Lysan's cloak or a Potion of Freedom on somebody and make all the priests target said somebody

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 8,675
    I was gonna say:

Get your party near the choke point, cast Web and Entangle below it, just far enough away tgat it doesn't affect you. Then summon something into the middle of the web and/or use an exploding potion (buy every one Fiddlebender will sell you).

Now as all thevtrolls and priests stream toward you, they will be slowed down a lot. Have two tanks ready to melee any trolls to approach, and your four other party members should be using missile weapons against any priests who make their saves and try to cast spells. Take the priests down first, then mop up the trolls.

BUT: hot darn, I forgot about Lysan's cloak. You can walk your best tank around in your own web, fighting freely. :smiley: