Skip to content

The Enjoyment of Making the "Non-Power" Party

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
The more I play each of these games, the more I realize that having all maxed stats isn't the end all. Now, in my eyes a bit of leeway is given in Baldur's Gate, where your main character is the bastion of your party and admittedly
the spawn of a deity.

Still, I think something can be said about making stat adjustments that make sense for what you feel a character is. In a game like Icewind Dale, where you build a full party of six, I think being balanced rings even more true.

I suppose this might be more prevalent the more you get into the character(s) - writing biographies, portrait hunting, etc. - really fleshing them out as individuals (if you go that route). Why would your Gnome have such a high strength? Does your lean, charismatic mage really need x3 18s in his physical stats? Wouldn't your strong, bulky half-orc lack a bit in the Dexterity department?

Creative aspects aside, for me such concepts make the games, already not incredibly challenging, a bit more so. A spell like Strength has that much more meaning - maybe you memorize a couple more each day? Cat's Grace is a godsend for your low dex, but high strength fighter. What items in the game might off-set your stat limitations? What spells? It kind of makes some planning and foresight a bit more meaningful as well (if you've played the game a few times).

Just some thoughts I had as I rolled up a new party, of non-power gaming, but incredibly capable adventurers. To each their own though. Some folks like to "Play it Hardcore" (Triple Classed Everything, Max Stats, etc.) and I get the fun in that too.

Comments

• Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Yes, I like fixed points systems like IWD2 and PoE. No debate then about overpowered stats, it’s just about distribution. BG saga would be more difficult and interesting if PC (and NPCs) had say 76 stat points each
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited March 2018
    I try to take rolls as they come, no adjusting. This one thing changes everything completely.

I don't just right-click "Roll" till 93+, - this approach makes me go through all 80+ rolls, as they can provide solid stats in the needed attibutes.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644

I try to take rolls as they come, no adjusting. This one thing changes everything completely.

I don't just right-click "Roll" till 93+, - this approach makes me go through all 80+ rolls, as they can provide solid stats in the needed attibutes.

That's a good approach! Honestly, I'm at a point now where I just set stats in EEKeeper to non-power, capable rolls that are feasible. Saves time for me. Since I'm not shooting for a 96 each time, I know each of my sets is more than doable so I just do it automatically.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Ctrl-8 and then drop about 15-17 points.