Skip to content

Anyone here never actually play the first Baldur's Gate before?

*raises hand*

I haven't. I got BG2 in that big boxed collection that they used to sell in gamestop all the time back in the early 2000's and played that through three times, but I never really wanted to play the first one. Probably because game sequels are usually better and I didn't wanna feel like I was playing an old version of something. So this whole Enhanced Edition thing is, like, tailor made for me and I'm really excited about playing BG for the first time. Although not half as excited as I'll be when BG2:EE comes out next year =D

Comments

• alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    I just beat BG1 for the first time ever a few months ago. I wanted to run a vanilla play through before the enhanced edition came out. But BG2 was my bitch! :P
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Ah, to be able to experience it all for the very first time again.. I almost envy you. Though obviously having played BG2 first takes some of the punch out of the BG plotline.
  • loganultimaloganultima Member Posts: 109
    I am in the same boat as you, I did play Baldur's Gate 2 but not the first one, I can't wait to have the full experience. :)
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    I played around with BG years ago, but it wasn't my game so I couldn't do a serious playthrough. So basically, this will be my first playthrough and I am totally excited! I never played BG2 at all because I never play a sequel without finishing the first one first. To me, it would be like watching a movie sequel before the original. Not cool....
  • DogmatixDogmatix Member Posts: 25
    I have played Baldur's Gate through 4 times... 2 times with original game and 2 times with TuTu mod (which used BG2 engine).

Looking forward to seeing how this enhanced edition turns out :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    I never played ToB, does that count?
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245

2) On the plus side, that means a lot more NPCs to choose from, though some come in groups of two. For example, Khalid and Jaheira come as a team. Kick one out and the other leaves, too. Which is why its popular, with some people, to do things like send Khalid naked into a nest of Ankhegs.

People always say this. I seem to remember you could kick one out without the other leaving if you just had the one you wanted to keep in a different area from the PC. I regularly took Montaron into the temple at the FAI with my PC, left Xzar outside, kicked Monty, and Xzar never mentioned it.
  • loganultimaloganultima Member Posts: 109
    Thanks DeathMachineMiyagi, good informative post right there. ^
  • XendraneXendrane Member Posts: 4
    I have only played BG2. I am so excited to play BG1 for the first time! Hello everyone, great forum filled with wonderful people!
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

Even over informative, I would mark the 4th comment as a spoiler for the 0.0001% of us who didn't play neither of the games..

still the title of this thread is "Anyone here never actually play the first Baldur's Gate before?"

Other than that, good post :)
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    edited November 2012
    salieri said:

People always say this. I seem to remember you could kick one out without the other leaving if you just had the one you wanted to keep in a different area from the PC. I regularly took Montaron into the temple at the FAI with my PC, left Xzar outside, kicked Monty, and Xzar never mentioned it.

There are many ways to kick the undesirable NPC out and retain the NPC you want, I know. They all have one thing in common: abusing the game mechanics to get around an annoying feature.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    IMO BGI is more focused on an open game world that encourages you to explore. The main plot is still there, but there is no rush to complete it.
  • agorwalagorwal Member Posts: 3
    BG ToSC 3 times all imported to BG2, BG2 ToB many many times... too many
  • NadroirNadroir Member Posts: 50
    I played both of them in chronological order. I actually preferred the first one. I loved BG2... but the lack of an open world killed a lot of excitement for me.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Nadroir said:

I played both of them in chronological order. I actually preferred the first one. I loved BG2... but the lack of an open world killed a lot of excitement for me.

Same here, BG1 is my all time favorite for many reasons - one of them is of course the Open World.

• XaenorXaenor Member Posts: 34
    To tell the truth, I beat BG1 only several months ago, like some other people here. But that barely matters. What makes BG series meaningful to me is not my last encounter with it, but the first. It happened many years ago, when having a computer with 32 MB RAM had been considered awesome. I was just a kid who NEVER played any real RPG and thought the genre is only limited to Diablo-style games - good, but far from what we call the classic of the RPG genre.

I remember that day very well - I came to my friend, a hardcore gamer, and he talked to me with excitement I never heard in his voice before. He was eager to show me the new game he got his hands on, and that was when I first saw the assault of the Ramazith's Tower in the majestic city of Baldur's Gate. To tell the truth, I wasn't impressed at first - after all, the game was just so unfamiliar to me. But only a couple of weeks passed until I got my own copy of Baldur's Gate, and then the real gaming started. It's probably no use describing all the adventures the game let me experience, but let's just say a lot of slacking at school and skipping classes had been involved.

Hard to believe that so much time passed already. But... Yeah, those were good days )
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    edited November 2012
    mch202 said:

Even over informative, I would mark the 4th comment as a spoiler for the 0.0001% of us who didn't play neither of the games..

still the title of this thread is "Anyone here never actually play the first Baldur's Gate before?"

Other than that, good post :)
    With respect, if you are in that category, it might be smart to get away from BG message boards altogether until you've at least finished BG1. That little plot point I mentioned is so integral to the series that people can and will talk about it as if everyone knows it, as I've seen them do quite often around here.

Its a bit like the wisest approach to YouTube and Wikipedia and so on: never, ever do a search for a series you're watching and enjoying until you've either caught up with where it currently is or unless you don't give a crap about spoilers.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Although I played bg2 20+ times, I never played bg1 before.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    I'm the complete opposite. I've played BG 1 (completed it a long time ago) but Ive never even done the first dungeon in BG2. I keep saying that I'll do BG 2 when my character has done BG 1... but I suffer from restarting-itus
  • treknortreknor Member Posts: 2
    I only play BG!! so I'm pretty excited and can't wait :)
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    salieri said:

I never played ToB, does that count?

Me neither.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Severon said:

I'm the complete opposite. I've played BG 1 (completed it a long time ago) but Ive never even done the first dungeon in BG2. I keep saying that I'll do BG 2 when my character has done BG 1... but I suffer from restarting-itus

I'm the opposite. I find if I get through BG1 with a character my chances of at least beating BG2 (not necessarily ToB) go up substancially.
  • donhendonhen Member Posts: 5
    I've never played any of the BG series. I don't remember what I was playing at the time, but never got around to playing Baldur's gate. A friend of mine has been encouraging me to give the game a try over the years, and now, with the enhanced edition coming out, he has finally won out.

• MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 94
    I played all of them as they came out. Of course, I am 30 years old, so I was a gamer when these games were new....and awesome.
  • howtofightaraptorhowtofightaraptor Member Posts: 23
    Never played the original and kinda glad now because I get the EE! Anyone looking for a multiplay bud skype me at luke.ingle. Also I'd like to create a series to upload to my channel youtube.com/howtofightaraptor, so pst interest in that too if you're keen :)

• TyrielTyriel Member Posts: 20
    I played the original the day it came out :)
  • I just finished bg1... for the 10th time (+/-). BG2 I finished once.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I played BG1 first in 2001 and BG2 in 2005. BG1 is the better game IMO. I think even with EE it might be a bit hard for those who have only played BG2 to get into though...low level adventuring is rough and you aren't going to be spoiled as in BG2 with all of these quests available instantly for thousands of gold, XP and good loot. I'm not sure if I would have been able to adapt well had BG2 been my first game.