Skip to content

Anyone here never actually play the first Baldur's Gate before?

2»

Comments

• MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 94
    I played all of them as they came out. Of course, I am 30 years old, so I was a gamer when these games were new....and awesome.
  • calebchosencalebchosen Member Posts: 7
    I Played BG1 & BG2 when they first come out.. It was instant love! :)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    This is slightly embarrassing... I got a Baldur's gate box set. I played BG1 first and finished it... Time for Tales of the sword coast, I thought, Yay! Then realised it expanded the BG1... Doh... Played it through again... Had a blast as I did more of the sidequests.

What really can't be forgiven is that I did exactly the same thing when playing BG2 and ToB... When ToB had the tab key to find loot, it was like cheating but, oh, so much more satisfying, I could actually find things! I remember just waving my mouse pointer/hand across the screen carefully waiting for it to change into the gripped hand to show that an item was there.

I will be honest, I have not played BG2 as often as I have played BG1 as I cannot complete all the added extras BGT adds to BG1! I always encounter a bug and go... that's going to annoy me... reload... Start the BGT installer... Start again...
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    tilly said:

Oh fun!
    I prefer low level campaigns, so I've played BG1 more than BG2. :3

Same here

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Your story sounds similar to mine! I got pool of radiance, and it never worked.... so i bought the bg2 collection.
  • ZalenZalen Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any idea if the new characters will have a bit of interactions with each other? I know I've read that not all characters in BG1 lack interactions (such as the duos typically have some things to say to each other and some characters even flirt with other characters) I was wondering if this same type of interactions were happening between the three new characters (since I'm sure having them interact with the old characters would be tricky at best.)
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    I played the crap out of it when it came out in 98, i think I was 15.. Also played BG2, IWD1+2, and PS:T

I believe PS:T had the best story... remember the Transcendent One? ;)
  • EldrythEldryth Member Posts: 56
    I played BG2 first, and never finished BG1 yet (close now in BG:EE, though! Been playing a lot). A lot of it is certainly great, but going back I really missed the great NPC's from BG2. Sure, some of the BG ones were okay, but they felt flat without more banters. Neera and Rasaad are helping with that a lot!
  • SiddhamSiddham Member Posts: 31
    I have played BG1 & 2 quite a bit over the years, but never completed either; always got distracted half way through...they are looong games. Recently I started BG1 easytutu....was in a couple of chapters when I discovered BGEE was coming out....now I am wondering whether to start over. I guess I will.
  • shawnppickettshawnppickett Member Posts: 25
    Hell, I've still got my original cd's from purchasing BG1 and TotSC. I ponyed up for the Collectors edition of BG2 based on the strength of BG1 (I've still got the box, the cards, and I'm betting the cloth map around is floating around the house somewhere)
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited December 2012
    I played BG1 from 1999 to 2005 and then my computer crashed and I lost my game so I didn't start playing BG1 again until 2011. Amazingly after that much time I still had most of the game memorized, having played it so much before, even though I had gone six years without playing it.

I played BG2 from around the time it came out until 2005 when I stopped playing it for the same reason and started playing it again shortly before I resumed playing BG1. I have been frequently playing both ever since.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    BG1 > BGII

*Runs*
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited December 2012
    I only haven't played TOB yet. I got to know the game 5 years ago, but BG1 (Tutu, on the 2nd and consequent playthroughs) was so awesome and I kept playing it again and again, I only came to BG2 two years ago and it's awesome as well. And now there's BGEE. It will be some time before I have time to pick up TOB, though 2 characters already passed the treshold by beating Irenicus and stand between those stone faces, not yet knowing what they're about (don't spoil me, but it will take some time before I have ... I repeat myself :-) ).
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    I played BG1 and BG2 when released -- still have the "boxed" collector's edition of BG2 and ToB in the closet behind me -- and both old versions installed on my PC -- for old times sake as I haven't played them in years.

I preferred BG1 over BG2 -- Bioware started downhill with BG2 (which was still excellent) and with each new game slid further into the pit of mediocrity. BGEE brings back that old feeling :)

I would buy BG2EE if they make it.
  • Chaos_PrimarchChaos_Primarch Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I have the orignal 6 cd boxed copy, a copy of the bulders gate colection (horable disk killing case design) and gog copys of bg 1 and 2. So you could say I play the hellout of this game. BG ee just takes the hassel of having to download and install a tone of mods just to get the game working as it should.

The new content is awesome too with a few nitpicky complantes aside, Overhaul did a great job Heres hoping for a new bg game in the future from them ie after bg2 ee
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    I wish I played the 2nd one first because the open world of BG1 is what I like. BG2 was a bit disappointing for that.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've played BG1 and BG2 both, for years. My first time, in 1998, I played up to the final encounter, and I reloaded about a hundred times, and I could not beat it, so I gave up and moved on, but I was still basically satisfied and enamored of the game.

In 2000, or whatever year that was, I played SoA, and I finished it. I moved on, thought it was memorable, and then, came back to both it and BG1:TotSC over and over with new character ideas, but succumbed to my fatal restartitis before ever finishing either again.

When ToB came out, I played it and got about halfway through, and then, I kept giving up because it was too hard for me, and eventually moved on, temporarily. I only ever finished ToB one time, and that was just two summers ago, as I chronicled in a "minimal reload" thread started by @SapphireIce101, with stories written by me, and lots of screenshots along the way. My "minimal" reload was doing just fine, until I got to the Reaper, and then to Melissan, when my reloads skyrocketed to a not so "minimal" 20 or so. I had to turn the difficulty slider down to "easy" to beat Melissan.

This is a great thread, and I'd love to hear from any BG1 "virgins" out there who are experiencing BG for the first time through BG:EE.
  • ManybadgersManybadgers Member Posts: 9
    Never played the first one and I only played the dungeon of Irenicus for the second one.
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    ARKdeEREH said:

I played BG1 from 1999 to 2005 and then my computer crashed and I lost my game so I didn't start playing BG1 again until 2011. Amazingly after that much time I still had most of the game memorized, having played it so much before, even though I had gone six years without playing it.

I still have most of the Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord levels memorized. It helps to reinforce the memory when you have to use pencil and graph paper to map each level. :)
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    Yep, played BG 1 originally w/ no mods, then with tons of mods, and I enjoy BG : EE much more. About five years ago I bought BG 1 & 2 for a second time in the box set that came out. I anxiously await the enhanced edition for BG 2 (which I've played about once a year with various mods since it came out).
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited December 2012
    Quartz said:

BG1 > BGII

*Runs*

/agrees, prepares for the hail of stones

its huge, open-ish world, excellent characters, and ridiculously difficult, low level combat definitely win my vote out of the two... and I'm still pissed off at BG2 for what they did to pretty much all my favorite characters... (Monty, Xzar, Safana, Coran... yeah.)

oh, and casually spoiling parts of the original story in the expansion's title didn't help matters either.
    Post edited by DinsdalePiranha on
  • FornostFornost Member Posts: 42
    I've played baldur's gate 2 since i was on the 3rd grade but finished the first one just a few months ago. Really different experiences but i gotta say in enjoyed bg2 more (-:
  • AndtalathAndtalath Member Posts: 23
    20+ times.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Yes, I played it at around 2001. My first character was an halfling cleric :) IMO it's a better game then BG2 because of the exploartion aspect of the game. BG2 is much more solid on the character development front.

If there was something I wished we had on BGEE is better character development. Because this is the only thing that actualy was bad about BG1. (I am talking about NPC stories).
  • RilburRilbur Member Posts: 54

oh, and casually spoiling parts of the original story in the expansion's title didn't help matters either.

Simply saying 'Throne of Bhaal' doesn't really spoil anything. You'd need something much less oblique to really 'spoil' anything.
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    I played BG 1 fairly recently, I liked it but didn't love it. I did, however, love BG 2, which I still maintain is the best RPG ever created by mankind, ever.