Skip to content

Attn: Wizard Slayer haters

I love my wizard slayer. I played him from level 1 in bg1tutu all the way to finishing bg2 and expansion. He comeptely mopped the floors with his grandmastery in long swords and dual wielding. He was consistenly the highest dps in my party and I had no problems not using magic items.

If anyone can not make wizard slayer work well I question their understanding of DnD mechanics and if they have actually even tried one themselves. To call them the worst or weakest kit is unjust!

Comments

• MenthroMenthro Member Posts: 85
    We could gang up on those damned whatstherenames!
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2012
    I don't understand the reasoning behind all the Wizard Slayer hate. The Wizard Slayer is a fighter who can actually disable casters while all the rest, except the Inquisitor, just stand there and pray that their attacks whittle down the mage's Mirror Images/Stonekskin in time. The Wizard Slayer also cripples clerics and druids and he has a decent chance of shrugging off magical attacks at mid-high level.

In BG1 his weaknesses are trivial. BG1 is a low magic campaign, so he loses... what? +1 AC and saves from a Ring of Protection? There are no Rings of Gaax in BG1. Someone already mentioned that they could use the Boots of Speed (confirmed) and they can also use magical helms. They can use healing potions. The big no's are non-healing potions, most rings/amulets, bracers, cloaks and belts. Now I would agree that it would tragic if fighters could use wands and the Wizard Slayer alone was prevented from using them, but among these types the only item that stands out is the Cloak of Balduran. And the Greenstone Amulet, technically, except it's MIA for a sizeable chunk of the game.

It's baffling how people think so poorly of the Wizard Slayer that they would even compare it to a low level monk. Seriously.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    I'm intrigued with the idea of playing one in a multiplayer party that eschews arcane magic, but that's basically a roleplaying concept that uses the kit. I think that could be fun.

You can beat the game with any class, and have fun doing so. By the same token, apart from any emotional investments one might have in a class or kit, if you look at the advantages that other classes and kits have by comparison WS is not going to rate very high.

I'm about finding challenges and creative approaches, not just barreling through the game with uber characters. I also tend to root for the underdog. So for what it's worth I support you in showing some love to an upopular kit.
  • KefkaKefka Member Posts: 46
    @Nuin If any melee character hits a caster, his spell is going to be interrupted anyway. The thing is that casters are often hard to hit, so the Wizard Slayer's abilities are kind of useless.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    Never played the wizard slayer. If a mage has mirror images up and you (a Wizard Slayer) hit one of the images for the purposes of the Wizard Slayers ability does that count as a hit? (I'm guessing no)
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited November 2012
    The Wizard Slayer loses his best class bonus (the 10% arcane spell failure chance per hit) with an extremely common 2nd level spell: Mirror Image. When you hit the mirror images you are not hitting the mage and are not causing the penalty. Almost every enemy mage uses Mirror Image.

@Nuin - I'd have to disagree about the number of useful magic items in BG1. Granted, you are definitely more penalized in the second game but not being able to make use of the Guantlets of Weapon Expertise, Cloak/Ring of Protection +2 (works great when combined with Full Plate), Ring of Free Action, Any of the AC increasing Girdles, or the Boots of Avoidance/Grounding is a pretty big deal in the long run. When you compare the Wizard Slayer to say, a Berserker who can use all those items and has a non-situational bonus (lets face it, if you aren't fighting spellcasters the wizard slayer is a gimped fighter) you can really see the weakness of the Wizard Slayer. While it's not a totally crippled class, in that you can beat the games with it, it is clearly amongst the kits on the bottom rung.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    @Tanthalas I'm assuming as well in BGEE that the WIzard Slayers spellcasting failure ability won't work using ranged weapons. Am I right in that assumption?

and from a game mechanics standpoint would thrown axes be treated any differently than bows? Sorry I've never played the class and I'm just curious based on what I've read online concerning their use of bows/crossbows if there is a way to get around some of the classes abilities limitations outside of the tweakpack.
    edited November 2012
    @Kefka
    Not if they're Mirror Imaged. As far as I can see, the mages thus far shown in the trailers love to use the spell.

@Goodsteve
    No he doesn't. You might wanna read my other post better, the only thing that protects against the Wizard Slayer's debuff is outright weapon immunity.
    So you mean that the Wizard Slayer can't use Full Plate? Because he can. And so he loses 2 AC. And a few more from belts. While Monks and Kensais, who can't use any armor at all, are apparently significantly more viable.
    About the other items, there's a sword with free action that you get earlier than the ring, so moot point, and I thought we already established that Wizard Slayers could use boots, or the Boots of Speed in particular.

• SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2012
    The real problem is most of the kits are too good. Kits are not suppose to be better then the base class, they are just suppose to be different or more specialized.

If Wizard Slayer could use all the items a regular fighter could then a regular fighter becomes useless, it would be wizard slayer as the base class essentially and one of the other two kits if you wanted to try something different.

If you where planning to munchkin a rogue dual class from a fighter, then just like the kensai benefits from the use any item hla so does the wizard slayer, in this scenario both are better then a regular fighter.
    edited November 2012
    @Sharn In BG2, then yeah definitely. This is BG1, however. The rules are very different, especially if you consider that for a large chunk of the game (and more, if you pay Core Rules or higher) all it takes to kill a character from most classes is a single critical hit.
    There's a reason why any class/kit that can equip a decent ranged weapon by default becomes more viable than others in BG1.
    Nuin said:

@Goodsteve
    No he doesn't. You might wanna read my other post better, the only thing that protects against the Wizard Slayer's debuff is outright weapon immunity.
    So you mean that the Wizard Slayer can't use Full Plate? Because he can. And so he loses 2 AC. And a few more from belts. While Monks and Kensais, who can't use any armor at all, are apparently significantly more viable.
    About the other items, there's a sword with free action that you get earlier than the ring, so moot point, and Wizard Slayer can use boots (this part was also already mentioned in my other post).

You didn't actually say anything akin to Wizard Slayers ignoring Mirror Image... you said "The Wizard Slayer is a fighter who can actually disable casters while all the rest, except the Inquisitor, just stand there and pray that their attacks whittle down the mage's Mirror Images/Stonekskin in time." You didn't even mention Wizard Slayers and how they interact with that spell, but that can mean any number of things really... like the Wizard Slayer makes it so they cannot use Mirror Image since they've been struck previous to casting the spell. I was not aware that the debuff went on the caster when mirror images are struck since the mage suffers no other effects of the hit. If this is the case it seems like an oversight to me.

I never said the Wizard Slayer can't use full plate, I said that a ring/cloak of protection +2 works well with full plate. It basically gives you +2 Full Plate with a bonus to saving throws to boot. With the right belt equipped with the above combo he will lose from 5-6 AC, actually. Nothing to scoff at. He will also miss out on a constant +1 THAC0 and +2 damage from the Guantlets of Weapon Expertise, one of the best items in the game for a melee character. And yes, the monk and kensai are definitely more viable in the long run.

Yeah there is a sword with free action in the game, but it's a two-handed sword. So if you want to use a sword and shield, or two-weapon fighting or ranged attacks you can't get the free action bonus... if only there was some way around this predicament... oh wait there is! The ring of free action, that the wizard slayer can't use :P

You also never said that the Wizard Slayer can use all boots, you said: "Someone already mentioned that they could use the Boots of Speed (confirmed) and they can also use magical helms."

That doesn't mean they can use all magical boots in the same way that saying the druid can wear the ankheg plate mail doesn't mean the druid can wear all forms of plate mail.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Wizard slayer is interesting simply because it's unique. His Spellcast failure ability is soooo good, especially since it bypasses Stoneskin (as far as I know) which make mages harmless. Even more so Clerics and Druid foes!

You have to analyze more carefully what little items are available to you and what kind of buffs you can get up and running. For the rest, a Wizard Slayer is a very great and competent class, I love it.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    I'm actually contemplating the usefulness of the kit myself. Trying to decide between the W/S and the Berserker for a multiplayer run-through. Since we will be sharing drops, all the magical miscellaneous items could go to our squishier classes.
    edited November 2012
    It's a good thing I'm not new to the internet.

But to address your relevant concerns, the bonus from the belt is situational, especially when it comes to the belt with blunt damage bonus. Unless you constantly switch belts in the middle of combat then that AC bonus is also situational. Both the ring and cloak are also available mid-late game, so there's that. So are the gauntlets. They're not exactly there when you're at most vulnerable and you've got wolves chasing your level 2-3 casters. Let's compare that to the Kensai. Automatic 7 point penalty to AC for not being able to use Full Plate Armor, though -2 for AC bonus at character creation, for a total of 5 points non-situational AC drop. That rises to 7 if you use the Anhkeg Plate hidden in the farm in Beregost. A shield in Nashkel can be stolen for +2 bonus to AC and +1 bonus to missile AC. The number has now rusen to a truly significant 9 point difference in AC, +1 situational bonus to AC.
    Note that all of these items are available very early on in the game, when you need them most.

So what makes the Kensai so much more viable in the Wizard Slayer by this point? Kai? The +1 damage/+1 THAC0 bonus? I do not dispute how godly the Kensai is in BG2, but do you honestly, seriously believe that +1 damage/+1 THAC0/1 Kai is worth more than a 9 point difference in non-situational AC? Or even 7, if the Wizard Slayer loses the shield. And look, we haven't even gotten to the pros of the Wizard Slayer kit yet.
    As for "long term", therein lies the difference between BG1 and BG2 (treating SoA and ToB as different games, because the developers made it painfully clear with the character Illasera how the start of ToB was designed to be easier than the last part). The hardest part of BG1 is the beginning/middle part of the game. Late game is simply knowing how to use your character. To judge any class/kit in BG1 solely based on their late game merits is outright wrong, and is equivalent to saying that your BG2 character is godly because you barbecued every goblin/kobold group in Irenicus dungeon and web/cloudkilled spammed yourself through every early-mid game encounter in SoA.
    In BG1 the very first area you visit after Candlekeep has creatures like wolves and bears. These things can kill you in 1 hit. The equivalent is like having to face a fighter with HLAs in Irenicus Dungeon.

As for the two-handed sword, there's weapon switching (yeah its pretty basic), assuming the Wizard Slayer didn't actually go two-handed weapons in the first place because the reach does help.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    You know what else is good at disrupting spellcasting?
    A sword to the face.

This is essentially the problem.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I played a wizard slayer/thief before.
    Detect Illusion + the cumulative spell failure works wonder. iirc, in ToB once I got UAI his only disadvantage disappeared.
    I just wished he got more than a measly 1% magic resistance every level.

IMO jester is the bottom of the barrel because confusion can be annoying.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    ajwz said:

You know what else is good at disrupting spellcasting?
    A sword to the face.

This is essentially the problem.

I was gonna say "Just about everything"

Nuin said:

It's a good thing I'm not new to the internet.

But to address your relevant concerns, the bonus from the belt is situational, especially when it comes to the belt with blunt damage bonus. Unless you constantly switch belts in the middle of combat then that AC bonus is also situational. Both the ring and cloak are also available mid-late game, so there's that. So are the gauntlets. They're not exactly there when you're at most vulnerable and you've got wolves chasing your level 2-3 casters. Let's compare that to the Kensai. Automatic 7 point penalty to AC for not being able to use Full Plate Armor, though -2 for AC bonus at character creation, for a total of 5 points non-situational AC drop. That rises to 7 if you use the Anhkeg Plate hidden in the farm in Beregost. A shield in Nashkel can be stolen for +2 bonus to AC and +1 bonus to missile AC. The number has now rusen to a truly significant 9 point difference in AC, +1 situational bonus to AC.
    Note that all of these items are available very early on in the game, when you need them most.

So what makes the Kensai so much more viable in the Wizard Slayer by this point? Kai? The +1 damage/+1 THAC0 bonus? I do not dispute how godly the Kensai is in BG2, but do you honestly, seriously believe that +1 damage/+1 THAC0/1 Kai is worth more than a 9 point difference in non-situational AC? Or even 7, if the Wizard Slayer loses the shield. And look, we haven't even gotten to the pros of the Wizard Slayer kit yet.
    As for "long term", therein lies the difference between BG1 and BG2 (treating SoA and ToB as different games, because the developers made it painfully clear with the character Illasera how the start of ToB was designed to be easier than the last part). The hardest part of BG1 is the beginning/middle part of the game. Late game is simply knowing how to use your character. To judge any class/kit in BG1 solely based on their late game merits is outright wrong, and is equivalent to saying that your BG2 character is godly because you barbecued every goblin/kobold group in Irenicus dungeon and web/cloudkilled spammed yourself through every early-mid game encounter in SoA.
    In BG1 the very first area you visit after Candlekeep has creatures like wolves and bears. These things can kill you in 1 hit. The equivalent is like having to face a fighter with HLAs in Irenicus Dungeon.

As for the two-handed sword, there's weapon switching (yeah its pretty basic), assuming the Wizard Slayer didn't actually go two-handed weapons in the first place because the reach does help.

I like that you think the bonus from the belts and switching the belts is situational and therefore not a good choice but you're arguing that a kit that only recieves bonuses against 1 type of encounter (spellcasters) is a great choice. True that the cloak and ring +2 are only available mid to late game but rings of protection +1 are available early (in the second "zone" after Candlekeep in fact) and will still grant a bonus the wizard slayer wont have therefore exposing his main weakness early. The guantlets are indeed received later on but it's still a bonus you will have for all the hardest parts of them game that the wizard slayer wont have. 10% spell failure chance wont help you against Aec'letec but a 5-6 AC bonus and a +1 THAC0/+2 damage, and plus +2 bonus to saves certainly will.

I never said that the Kensai or Monk were better choices than the Wizard Slayer in the early game or even in the first game. Not sure why you're trying to prove me wrong about something I never said, so I guess I'll skip to the "relevant concerns."

I'm not so sure that wolves and gibberlings are harder than Durlag's Tower and Aec'letec. Most people don't remember the epic battle with the 4 Xvarts as opposed to fighting Sarevok, at least in my experience. When I say that the Kensai and Monk are better choices than the Wizard Slayer it is because for the majority of the Saga they are head and shoulders more powerful than the Wizard Slayer. Sure in the first 25% (that's generous I think) of the Baldur's Gate Saga Wizard Slayers may be better than those classes, but in the long run the WS is outshone. The Wizard Slayer is arguably the only kit that is weaker than the base class for a great deal of the battles in all 3 games. A Wizard Slayer recieves ZERO bonuses if you are not fighting a spellcaster but magic items are always present from wolf #1, to Davaeorn, to Aec'letec, to Sarevok.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    Anything your wizard slayer can do, my kensai mage can do better. My kensai mage can do anything, better than you.

Both durlags tower and Aec letec were easy as eating pie for my swashbuckler / mage too.
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    The thing is, the best actual character for slaying Wizards is....another Wizard. Or an Inquisitor, I guess. A stealthed Assassin with poisoned weapons and the Cloak of Non-Detection at third (assuming the backstab doesn't chunk them). I see Mungri has already covered the Kensai/Mage, the Predator Drone of Baldur's Gate.

I agree, "hate" is perhaps a bit of a strong emotion to have towards a class, but everything the Wizard Slayer can do, other classes can do just as well, with less downsides. So it's not that it's bad, more that it is redundant.

Which is fine. Loads of classes are redundant in some ways. Bards are almost entirely redundant, barring their Song, for example. Doesn't mean I won't play them, but there is no need to build up the Wizard Slayer as this all round awesome character class because, well, it isn't really.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited November 2012
    Wow! A WS lover! let's protect him before they come to extinction!!! :)!

But jokes apart, WS is a bad kit in terms of coherence. I'm not sure as i don't have the player handbook, but the limitations made for the wizard slayer feels a lot artificial, they're a class made to pursue mages, what doesn't mean they hate magic (yes, some WS can hate magic but that's not a rule for all of them).

There was another topic that discussed this issue. The problem with Baldur's Gate is that every item that isn't normal is coded as magic, and unlike on infinite engine, on Pen and Paper exist a difference between a divine item, a clerical magic item or a arcane magic item also (anyone correct me if i'm wrong) and while a WS can fight well any magic user, they're focused against arcane magic normally (nothing stop them of hate divine magic users, bala's axe description is a good example if i'm not wrong).

The feeling of empity slots in the late game, where you can only use an armor and a sword in terms of magic item upset a bit the person playing, at least i felt that way when i finished a ToB game with a WS that i carried from the BG candlekeep begin.

If i learn to code well to develop modes one day, my first work will be rewrite the entire wizard slayer kit.

If you like the Wizard Slayer kit that much, the "Kindred NPC mod" for BG II is something that you MUST play, serious.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Cumulative spell failure alone is a huge boon. You don't even have to deal damage. Just roll a successful to-hit!
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    But you don't need cumulative spell failure to kill enemy casters. Insect plague, silence, arrows / sword to the face / remove magic / mustard jelly / sword spider / wand of paralasis / hold, charms, stuns ....

The list goes on and on and on. The only advantage the wizard slayer gets is when killing mages, and that advantage is meaningless because any other fighter type or mage class can also easilly kill mages.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Mungri said:

But you don't need cumulative spell failure to kill enemy casters. Insect plague, silence, arrows / sword to the face / remove magic / mustard jelly / sword spider / wand of paralasis / hold, charms, stuns ....

The list goes on and on and on. The only advantage the wizard slayer gets is when killing mages, and that advantage is meaningless because any other fighter type or mage class can also easilly kill mages.

This is also the same for the Inquisitor kit, but only true in BG1.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Kefka said:

The thing is, by playing a Wizard Slayer you didn't get any advantage at all, only disadvantages. Any class can complete the game easily enough, some are just worse than others. You could have used any other kit with dual wielding and you would have had something else on top of it.

I'm sort of confused what you mean by this. They do have advantages; it's listed right under "advantages" in the kit description. The problem, of course, is whether this is worth the disadvantages (typically met with a resounding no), but saying they have no advantages whatsoever is a bit, well, absurd.

The spell interruption is fairly nice, since it goes through everything other than mantle, I think. It is funny, at least, watching Irenicus completely unable to cast spells since you hit him 10 times, even if it did no damage. The magic resist is minor, but it does come up occasionally. Moreso at higher levels, when you start getting 5%/level, but still, it's helped out a few times.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Someone better call the fire department.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2012
    I don't think anyone "hates" the WS, they simply acknowledge the fact that they're not as good as almost any other class/kit. It's a bit like saying that people hate number 2 because they say it's smaller than number 3.

Why is this a big deal?
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188

Someone better call the fire department.

Hey, we didn't start the fire! It was always burning before BG returning!