Skip to content

Whats so good about baldurs gate ???

I have never played a Baldurs Gate game before but am just as excited for the release of this game as the rest of you guys.
I can see the potential that this game has but at the same time i dont see what all the fuss is about, can you guys explain why u like this game so much... the details etc etc, what makes Baldurs Gate so incredible for you ?
Why should i get excited ??
Looking forward to the release date to find out.

Comments

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Hello, if you have never played Baldur's Gate before, I just want to warn you of Spoilers, they are everywhere in the forum. :-)

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    You should be excited because TIAX RULES ALL!

Seriously, I reckon the NPC's make this game. But then, on top of that you can min max uber parties with the multiplayer function, creating a team of 6 undefeatable warriors. You can then solo the game.

Basically, you can play this game in a huge variety of ways, as many people have over the years.

And even after people have done all of those variations to death, people still queue up to pre order and preload the game. Yes, it is good. Yes I find it hard to describe why you should be excited...but yes you should be excited :)
  • For me it was the very open world sandbox-ish play. It was the first game i played (that I remember) to be so open. So it has just stuck with me over the years and I have played BG:2+Throne of Bhaal quite a few times. So in essence it's as much a matter of nostalgia as anything els. But I have to say it is still to this day my all time favorite game.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Awesome story, great characters, enormous game with deepth and complexity
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    The challenge, the character dialog, the sandbox style of it, the uncertainty of the outcomes of battles....there are some really out of the blue scripted events as well which add to it.
  • CobbwebCobbweb Member Posts: 26
    Personally it would be the very in-depth world you can explore anyway you choose, except for a few plot quests you are required to complete to move forward.

This allows you to have an unique experience almost every time you play through the game.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2012
    Realism with minimum tediousness for me. In BG you don't just regenerate your hit points after each battle. You have to rest, drink potion, or go to a temple. Your companion can die permanently, so each fight feels so much more exciting than most modern hack-and-slash RPGs. The game has so much re-playability as there are like 20 different kits(classes) for you to try.

I also love the fact there is no dumb level-scaled enemies that most modern RPGs have. You can face a dragon at level 7 and get wiped clean, but if you raise your level to 20s you can literally kill a dragon in 3 seconds. I always hated level-scaling where your enemies grow as much as your characters grow. <- it makes early bandit fights as tough as the end boss fights in DA2.

On the other hand, BG2's non-scaled-enemies give you the most satisfaction from developing your characters. Since it's much harder to raise a level in BG compared to other games, I tend to develop much more affection towards my character.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    The first really mature game I ever played, and the first that let me roam where ever I pleased. At 11ish years-old, I was floored by this game. I'd never seen anything like it before, because there pretty much was nothing like it at the time. So, lots of nostalgia helps. Also, just the sheer variety of things you can do and see, and how you can handle certain situations.
  • XendraneXendrane Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    Starting the game as a newbie and gradually mastering the "controls", the freedom, the entire experience is so satisfying.

I have only played BG2 so far, but, the same applies.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited November 2012
    Baldur's Gate represents the pinnacle of 2d isometric, open ended, huge expansive game world, 2nd edition D&D, party based, hundreds of quests, epic story arc, tactical squad based battles, goodness.

I hold BG and Fallout at the same level, where Fallout was more ambitious at world building and free-form gameplay, while BG succeeded in creating a truly epic game world infused with D&D with a more refined game engine.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2012
    I think what did it for me was the core gameplay. The tactical, team-based combat, with the ability to pause and issue orders, combined with DnD mechanics, provides a really solid base for the game. Don't get me wrong, the story and characters are important, but I think it was the base gameplay that allowed the game to stay fun for so long.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    ~Awwww, someone deleted my spoilers :(
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Ya forgot the space hamster.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297

Ya forgot the space hamster.

Do you like hamsters?
    Then play the game Baldurs Gate -
    I promise you joy.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I enjoy games I can play one handed.

Seriously though, the fact that it is essentially a turn based rpg but manages to achieve this without slowing the action down is seriously cool. Plus Faerun post- time of troubles is a really fun setting.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited November 2012
    I love two things about it: the setting and the graphics.

While a lot of people see the Forgotten Realms as very generic (and they most likely are), they are just so well crafted that it doesn't actually matter. Baldur's Gate does not only take place there, it breathes this handcrafted atmosphere, and it feels consistent. To me, this is worth a lot.

The graphics, on the other hand, are not great in a technical sense. However, they are done with so much love and sport so many nice little features. For example, my excitement about the paperdoll actually showing what I put on my characters, and the avatars featuring it in-game is still as strong today as it was in 1999, when I first played. You feel that the designers really poured their hearts into the game. The graphics are detailed, but they are just missing the right amount of detail to allow your imagination to fill it out and actually make it come alive. To me, they are much more immersive and create more atmosphere than today's impressive first-person graphics. It's like playing a beautiful painting. Or like entering one of those Stephen Biesty books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Biesty).

It doesn't hurt that the gameplay is very solid, the NPCs are fun and the story is quite engaging, either :D
  • Y3kY3k Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2012
    As you know movies (especially some movies) are considered the seventh art... if somebody would ever try to convince me that videogames are the eighth...well...Baldur's Gate would be -hands off- the most convincing reason.

If you prefer a mathematical point of view I can give you this formula (I have a proof of this but unfortunately it's too long to fit in this post)

Baldur's Gate : Assassins Creed (or pick more or less ANY game of the last 6-7 years) = L.V. Beethoven : Tokyo Hotel (or pick ANY other sucky teenage band).

..ofc that doesn't mean that if you multiply Beethoven * Assassins Creed and divide the result to Tokyo Hotel you get Baldur's gate :P ...

That's it. Hope I made my point.
  • JHLJHL Member Posts: 1
    For myself, I figure some of it is personal. I never had a group of friends until later in life to enjoy D&D or other tabletop with, so Baldur's Gate came to me and let me have that experience. It's a wide world filled with challenge and areas demanding exploration, as well as an incredibly memorable cast. No matter how many times I tread through Beregost (or anyplace, really), there's a charm that shines through every time.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    Larry, Darryl & Darryl. Nuff said.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It was the first "open world" RPG. Where once you left candlekeep, you could go almost anywhere.
    You could do the main plot finding friends and foes along the way, or just stumble down the coastline dodging ogres, killing sirens, conversing with gnolls and hobgoblins and then slaughtering them to goo.

It was also the first game where the character I created felt like was mine. I made the choices from what he does for a living, to how strong he was, what type of weapons he prefers to what he sounds and looks like to if he was a he at all.

The story and its arc all the way to SoA was unbelievable full of twists, choices and of course adventure. The game was also very tactical and fighting was not just click on an enemy to attack it (or worse spam clicking). Thought had to be put into every move, from the timing of spells to the switching from ranged to melee.

This game reintroduced me to D&D and I was floored by it. It also introduced me to RPGs. IMO, without Baldur's Gate, you wouldn't of had games like Skyrim or even Red Dead Redemption. It changed gaming for the better.

I do hope you enjoy it.
    @Y3k
    With regards to video games being art, I wouldn't say BG is "hands off" the best example. For instance, I think Planescape:Torment would give BG a pretty good run for its money.
    deltago said:

It was the first "open world" RPG.

Err, hate to break it to you, but there were certainly open-world RPGs before BG came along.
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    Exploration. Memorable NPCs. Legitimate choice in gameplay styles and character options. A fairly decent plot.

The graphics weren't so great, as people mentioned, but I never found myself minding all that much, because everything else made up for it and then some.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Krypteia said:

The graphics weren't so great, as people mentioned, but I never found myself minding all that much, because everything else made up for it and then some.

By today's standards, maybe. But back in 98 graphics-wise BG was AMAZING! D<
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    Really? I'll admit, I wasn't much of a gamer back then, so I don't really have a lot to compare it against.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Krypteia said:

Really? I'll admit, I wasn't much of a gamer back then, so I don't really have a lot to compare it against.

WELL it depends on how you consider "Better graphics" Because think on something like Final Fantasy 7, lots of blocky sprites. BG sprite were not very descriptive, per se, but they were all very smooth.

Maybe i'm just crazy?
    edited November 2012
    I think the fact that the graphics are 2D, and that the maps are painted makes a huge difference and really helps them stay good-looking. I only started playing BG long after it was released, and yet never thought of the graphics as being poor. And yet when I tried NWN for the first time (some time after first trying BG), I remember thinking, wow, these graphics look dated, despite the NWN coming out over 3 years after BG. Early 3D graphics aged really badly.
  • DaveRoidDaveRoid Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2012
    it seems silly but the stat rolling system when you start the game has had alot of appeal for me. to get the right stats for the right kit sometimes i have spent hours staring on that screen and rolling lol. I think the max roll is 91 which my half orce, multi calssed fight/cleric has with stats of 19 18 19 9 18 8 or something similar.

Like others have mentioned the story and the world feels really amazing and unique as well.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    A main quest that concerns you very personally and gives you motive and direction throughout the game.
    Memorable NPCs.
    A world that feels real, vast and dangerous. A world that existed long before you do, and where many more important things than you existed, exist and will continue to exist after you.
    Consistently remarkable writing.
    A fascinating and very complex spell system. BG2 brings this to truly epic proportions.
    Crisp, beautiful environments and animations.
    Memorable music and voice-acting.
    A miniature giant space hamster.
    Just the best overall role-playing game ever designed.

I hope that's reason enough to get excited about BGEE :)