Skip to content

Please make a GOG.com release of BG(2)EE!!!

William_ImmWilliam_Imm Member Posts: 72
Seriously, GOG.com has always been, and always will be, the best place to the the original Baldur's Gate games. While this is a recent (wip in fact) project, I would like to make one request: Make sue that the Enhanced Edition versions of both games are on GOG.com. It may require some legal discussion with Atari and CD Projekt, but it will be worth it in the end.

And while you are at it, see if CD Projekt wants to help you with the Polish translation. They did a superb job last time, and they will do it this time.

Comments

• StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    Gog.com would make a perfect platform for the BGEE releases, for sure. At least from fans' POV. I can imagine this could well happen some few months after the release; I can also magine devs being rather worried of the anti-DRM nature of GOG.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    The people of GoG.com are thieves. Largely, a lot of the games they are selling without legitimate contracts.
    edited June 2012
    @Boaster
    A rather interesting accusation:p
    Do you have a source or example or some such to support your claim or is this just something you have decided is the case?
    Post edited by Stradlin on
  • maverickmaverick Member Posts: 27
    Perhaps they don't have legitimate contracts but their versions are better than others. Without CD, I didn't have a single problem. That's what william_imm meant maybe, and if people pay what's the problem?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I would love to see a GoG release. If nothing else, mirroring what CD-Project did with Witcher2 and giving away a free (and DRM free) GoG copy of the game to all those who have bought it some time after release (I think it was released 6 months to a year after original release, in time with their "enhanced edition" or whatever they called it) would be very nice. It's not like having DRM will help their sales any way then either, there will be loads of pirated sources if one doesn't want to pay anything by then, so any left over DRM would only inconvenience their actual customers.
  • powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    @maverick
    The thing is - they DO have legitimate contracts.
  • William_ImmWilliam_Imm Member Posts: 72
    @maverick Well, Atari (the publisher of BGEE) already has a contract with CD Projekt/GOG.com, in fact, they happen to own the rights to the original versions of Baldur's Gate and other Infinity Engine games, so it should be rather easy to get BG(2)EE over on GOG.com. (On a related tidbit, Atari has published some of CD Projekt's games before.)

@Boaster That's complete and total BS. EVERY game that ends up on GOG.com has to be allowed permission by it's owners. Proof? Some of EA's old games are on there, and, as @powerfulally said before, if they have been illegaly licensed, EA's legal department would beat the stuffing out of them.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I seem to recall a tweet by Trent Oster stating that BG:EE would be a Beamdog exclusive, although the client wouldn't be requied to actually play the game (i.e. you won't need to be online while playing). Of course, my memory could be faulty and/or their plans could have changed.
    Lords of Magic, a video game that no one can tell who the real owner of the IP is. They sell that game on GoG.com.

I even asked them who they authorized their licensing and they stonewall. I'm in the know, and know better.

An addition example is, they tried to sell Lords of Magic with a MOD (created by Ascension64) that contained some of my works as well. Together, or separate the two instances, you can Slice it anyway you want, but that is stealing plain and simple.

K thx.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    From a selling point of view a GOG release would make sense imo. Lots of oldschool rpgamers on the site.
    edited June 2012
    Lords of Magic, a video game that no one can tell who the real owner of the IP is. They sell that game on GoG.com.

I even asked them who they authorized their licensing and they stonewall. I'm in the know, and know better.

An addition example is, they tried to sell Lords of Magic with a MOD (created by Ascension64) that contained some of my works as well. Together, or separate the two instances, you can Slice it anyway you want, but that is stealing plain and simple.

K thx.

Option A)
    No one can tell = Passive agressive forum heroes "who are in the know" can't tell, whilst some suit or another who handles licensing of titles formely published by Sierra knows perfectly well.
    Option B)
    Legit,appreciated and well liked image of Gog.com is merely a forefront for rotten eastern Euroopean Mafia conspiracy aiming to farm unfathomable amounts of illagal money with Lords of Magic.

I gave it some thought and go with A personally.

Also, the latter example is not stealing but unauthorized use of freely distributed unofficial content. Since you speak of it in past tense, I assume they were actually decent enough to take it off once this Ascension64 expressed he has an issue with it?
    nce you speak of it in past tense, I assume they were actually decent enough to take it off once this Ascension64 expressed he has an issue with it?
    By saying "this Ascension64" you almost seem to imply that you don't know who @Ascension64 is...
    @AndreaColombo
    I do not, I am not in the know:( :(
    Ascension64 is one of the greatest experts of the Infinity Engine and a modder extraordinare. He's the author of Throne of Bhaal Extender, ToBEx for short.
    edited June 2012
    Now I know, cheers!

I wonder what consensus among remaining active IE modders is towards the EE. People have done some incredible work on both BGs over the years,would be grand if signigficant portion of existing mods/add ons could move to EE smoothly.
    ..Off topic, appologies.

If you want to convince me that GOG.com is stealing, then you'll have to show me more examples than that. Since no one is complaining about them illegally selling other games, I can say that they are legit and that this game should be sold on the site.
  • kiaikiai Member Posts: 18

K thx.
    You stated here some thing's that can't be denied, but also I don't agree fully to your oppinion.
    Because of this I don't click disagree to your posts.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2012
    The initial release should be on Beamdog Store, not sure if the client is required to play. But anyway this is a subject that I'am sure even Trent and the team will only decide in the future. But he did say many times that he will consider the best solution for everybody. (I'am sure many would ask for Steam release too)

About GOG! Well it's not something I hadnt thought of before, some games are too old and the rights mighty even be "lost"... But it is the Intellectual property owner responsability to contact GOG too if they notice a violation... GOG does a great job optimizing the games imho.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Razor the client will not be required to play, Trent mentioned this on twitter a while ago, he said: "Don't worry. We're not going to require the Beamdog client for bgee"
    edited June 2012
    Here's a sample.
    Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2011 6:54 PM
    To: "Dan San" <***@hotmail.com>
    Subject: Re: Lords of Magic: Special Edition||8X75HBNZUR
    > Hello,
    >
    > I apologize for the late reply. As far as I could backtrack this case, a person from our production team found this patch on some forum when looking up a non-crucial problem in LoM:SE. This was some time ago, but as far as I can tell the archive didn't have any indication (readme file etc.) that it was made by a third party. Our production team must have assumed that it was a hotfix and, after testing it, we included it in our installer.
    >
    > I'm very sorry that we didn't ask either of you for permission to use it, unfortunately at the time we didn't know the patch belonged for someone. Even though it's technically illegal for a third party to modify a game's content (and, to my knowledge, fan-made modifications technically belong of the game's publisher), we always approach authors of third-party modifications for permission if we want to include their work in our releases, if we can identify and contact those authors. A few times we had to refrain from adding some content because its author didn't like the idea.
    >
    > We can, of course, remove this patch from our release of LoM:SE, if that is your wish.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Firek
    >
    > GOG.com Support

Name: Dan San
    TrackId: LB4F9W42F2
    User-Agent: *
    Problem: -- choose one -- something else
    Date: 2011-04-18 19:39:09 America/Montreal

Agent of GOG.com, My name is Dan, and I am upset to find out that GoG is selling a copy of LOMSE that has the stolen work of both Petery K. Wong and the work of myself, Dan -aka- Mantera. Ergo, the fact that you are selling a copy of LOMSE that uses MY work and HIS without compensation to either/both of us means that GOG is now in direct conflict with either one of us. Ergo, having stolen my work I now have the grounds to enter a lawsuit against GOG.com and I can prove without a shadow of a doubt that my creation is being sold both without my consent or without compensation. The game goes for Petery. I suggest an agent of GOG or a principal agent contact me immediately to negotiate compensation for having stolen my work. Sincerely and without prejudice UCC 1-308, Dan San
    Not that I owed anyone explanation.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Boaster
    To be honest, to me it looks like that they actually handled your situation in a polite and reasonable fashion. It is possible that it was an honest mistake after all.

Though I might be missing something about the situation.
    edited June 2012
    @TrentOster

At least see if they are willing to sell your game on the site. It would certainly give you a lot of gains (and money) if you do so, and also a boost to your cred.

Also, is some troll adding disagrees about everything I'm saying? I can see my stance on DRM (it should go into a pit and burn - crack protection is better in most cases) being controversial, but on my request for ToBEX? My three key requests? I call troll.
    edited June 2012
    @Boaster And they removed it, right?
    I believe the fan work is a nice attachment to the game itself, it makes the mod more popular and the awareness of such content rises up. As they take money for the game, not for the mod itself (people would buy a game without a mod anyway, since it's free). Would it really make a difference if they just linked to the portal where such mods are available? Maybe they just could show that "the mod X was created by Y and Z and here's their website". I always thought that fanwork focuses on spreading it across community, not making money out of it. The mod itself is free, they just put it on their servers. Sure, they should ask for it first, but if you want money from a thing that is free then, well, I don't understand. I don't like the idea of threatening people with lawsuits without even trying to find a solution, maybe you could make make the gog team promote your site with mods or something like that.
    I wonder if it's you who all of the sudden clicked disagree on some of my posts :P
    @Boaster Just thought I'd mention that I believe the member of GoG that emailed you in your post is correct, that modifications to an existing game are never the legal property of the party that modified the game, and I'm completely sure you could never be compensated for a mod w/out having worked out some deal with the party that owns the rights to the game you're modifying beforehand. That being said, it does seem from his email that they found a mod on a forum that fixed something they didn't know how to fix and so they implemented it, they most likely knew that it was made by a third party... but still although it seems shady (and possibly illegal for THEM to profit from the use of a third party mod), you still don't have any legal ownership of the modification as far as I know. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this point.
    I can't comment on any potential future distribution deals Atari may agree to as I'm not Atari. What I'm hearing is "Put it on GOG, because GoG doesn't do DRM". I don't think GoG and DRM-Free have an exclusive relationship, in fact I think DRM-Free can date anyone she likes ;-)
    We've got to do something from a DRM standpoint to comply with our obligations, but we're trying to work out a non-suck option.

-Trent
    @TrentOster Yeah, I think that's the main point people are making, but obviously DRM-Free is just an option available to any publisher if they so choose. I do like the platform of GoG in that their goal seems to be making it easier/hassle-free for people to play great older games, but they certainly aren't necessary for a game that's just coming out. As nice as DRM-Free would be, I (and hopefully other community members) understand that you have to answer to the game publisher and possibly other parties that have extensive rights tied up in Baldur's Gate, glad to know you're looking for a non-suck option :)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @William_Imm, @powerfulally
    Its better to just ignore disagrees. I understand that they can sometimes be annoying, but in the end its pointless to get bothered by them.
    edited June 2012
    While we are talking about DRM-free vs DRM , let me state my opinion on the matter (SPOILER I THINK DRM SUCKS)

WARNING: The big enemy is approaching at full throttle. According to the data, it is identified as Massive Rant. NO REFUGE.

Well, let me start with the fact that I am a member (or former member) of the Free Software Foundation, which exists to help spread and encourage development of free (as in freedom) software. As for how commercial games would fit in, I would say, release the engine free, but keep the actual levels/maps/data as paid-for content. You can also release the commercial game first, then make the engine free software (like what iD does with each previous idtech engine). That's what I think you. @TrentOster, should do with BGEE. After releasing both games, make the Infinity Engine free software. Yes, I know Bio/EA owns it, but maybe some negation sessions would help allow this to happen, and I'm sure everyone in the modding community (especially the people who are working on GemRB) would love to see that happen.

Now, about DRM vs non-DRM, the only non-controversial thing about it is why it was made - to prevent or reduce video game piracy. Some of the big people (EA, Activision) really worry about it because of lost profits, but, well, they are big, piracy won't put them out of business soon. But they would be able to get more consumers if they price the games less ridiculously ($60 for a FPS? I think I'm going to get Nexuiz instead), well, let's say $10-40 depending on the amount of content that is in the game, with the more expensive games reserved for RPGs and such. The only games that are really worth $60 dollars are really expansive and easily modded sandbox games (any of the Elder Scrolls games, and Fallout ones too). That's just my two cents.

But back to DRM vs non-DRM, I think it should either not be there at all (GOG.com and independents), or massively scaled back, allowing massive flexibility (Steam). No restricting installs (SecuROM), no ****ing with SCSI devices (StarForce), no games that require you to have a net connection to play, none of that BS. In fact, it's just going to be making it harder to the legitimate users to play rather than the pirates, and in some cases the pirated version preforms better than the legit version. You are not making the pirate's life harder, you are making the consumer's life harder if you put DRM on your games.

So that is that.
    Post edited by William_Imm on
    @William_Imm I agree with you for the most part. The pirates will always find a way, and attempting to hinder them almost always ends up inconveniencing paying customers. I always support games being free of all of these things as well, but it's not realistic to expect this for BG:EE, especially since it isn't within the power of the dev team, and I may be wrong, but I don't think there are any number of negotiation sessions that would convince Bioware/EA to turn the Infinity Engine into free software, especially if there's any chance of them continuing to profit off of having the rights to it.
    @Tanthalas I know, it's just funny how such discussion looks like - instead of arguments, childish trolling.