Skip to content

Arelith

124»

Comments

• EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 152
    this last update is lacking the images that were posted in the news feed due to not being on a stable net connection atm. if you examine the new feed on the forums you can see the IG images that accent this last group of updates
    hope everyone who came to the city launch event, enjoyed themselves. the report hasnt been posted how many new or unique cd keys came to the event, but we always welcome everyone to come and enjoy Arelith.
  • Biolab00Biolab00 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2021
    Bork wrote: »
    I think it should be important to mention that Arelith has a rule they don't exactly always inform new players about. Apparently "being liked" by server staff is a condition for them to treat people with basic decency. It doesn't matter how polite you try to be - slightest differences in opinions can get you in trouble. Be warned - if you'll write something they don't like on Arelith forums - posts will disappear no matter if you didn't break any of their rules.

I wrote a simple comment about part of their content being buggy and as result one of their DM-s started to provoke me on discord using foul language just so when I actually answer have a pretext to ban me out of spite.

Fair warning for those interested to play there simply aimed to save people some disappointment.

Yep. I fully agree with you. Actually left a bad taste and it's already been half a year since the incident. I've no idea why but i'm feeling rather keen in sharing what happens that caused me extreme rage.

I've been playing on Arelith since before EE migration. Despite these long years of gaming, i did not actually engage in their community but simply doing exploration, leveling etc. I've rolled many characters that i've already lost count on. And attributed to that, i have very little gaming hours due to work, around 3 hours +/- per day.

In fact, i sort of start to immerse myself into Arelith since the EE migration and start to become active in the community and RP gaming. Despite having played so long, i'm still a newbie to this RP thing and the various rules / regulations ( may i add that the rules are as long as "term and conditions" in a formal legal contract and there are many grey areas in them, ICly or OOCly )

Especially due to the time-zone difference (GMT+8), i almost didn't have any chance to interact with any DMs or participate in any of the IC gatherings / events.

Now, the very sour thing that actually happens do not come from players but from DM. I've made a toon that have properly and heavily invested myself into the game, purchasing the right abode at my class-restricted place, managing my shops which also happens to be where my character's abode was and trade, as well as engaging in proper conversation with merchants in my Time-zone. It was very fulfilling and i have manage to amass some wealth.

And then, my toon happens to actually pass by another vacant shop ( mind you, there's almost no vacant shop available due to the sheer shortage of them ) and i was feeling so exhilarated that i've found another shop and Lady Luck must have bless me hence, i've immediately bought it and manage the shop.

This situation lasted around 2 weeks or so, when suddenly, the shop that contain almost all my wealth and i've painstakenly amassed over several months, was somehow taken over by another random player. I completely on the spot, went bonkers. So I raged in the discord and forum, and somehow, the reason why the shop was being removed from me, is because i broke the rule of having 2 shops because only 1 shop per player is allowed.

Now, I truly have no idea of this and there's no OOC or IC messages that mention when you taken over a shop that you cannot have more than 1 shop ( yes, it's possible to warn people if you are buying the shop because there's several things in Arelith that do that, for example, server transition spot, they do warn. )
    This 1 person per shop rule is simply among one of the sentence in the "rules/regulation". So i've raged and blasted in the forum ( which all was forcibly removed by the DM ) and they only throw me a single reason - i've broken the rule.

I am very very pented up because even if i've broken the rule ( which i've no idea of ), they can definitely drop me a PM or tell or even do it in game since there's way to contact me ( I've made it so for my character in the game because i've a dwelling place which there's a sole board crafted outside just meant to let me know what's wrong that people can leave message for urgent matters ) but no, they just remove the right of my shop and all the items in my shop becomes a random player ( a very great lottery for him ). I have to stress that the shop i owned, actually worth in game of at least 2 million gold or more. It's my full wealth.

I was completely overwhelmed. This is because there's many way that they can actually handle it better. How can they not know the pain of losing so many million of gold and that my account history never ever own any shop before. It was my first time among these several years in Arelith that i actually owned a shop. Out of so many way to resolve, they choose the most inhuman ( robotic ) way.

When you realised that months of hardwork is simply at a click of these DM for a very grey rule ( not actually heavily emphasis ) gets completely removed, It's like i totally lost confidence and all in this game. I supposed that these rules are meant to control the old players with plenty of wealth that rival city or simply control the economy of Arelith, but why am i, the insignificant player, that bores the brunt of it. Perhaps it's because i'm insignificant ( And i'm actually a platinium supporter, having donated hundreds of dollars to this Arelith too ). Oh and probably, this proves that they are super just and i'm deserved this shit ( Yes, i'm being sarcastic ).

Anyhow, somehow, i felt like venting this frustration. My user name in Arelith is still Biolab00 and that my IC toon during then was a Monk which comes by the pet name "Tavy". Though this matter leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that i firmly believed that i may never goes back.
  • pdesboispdesbois Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2021
    New to Arelith:

Hi there,

I just bought NWN EE to try Arelith (actually my first MP / PW experience), and cannot understand something that has been happening since start:

I basically cannot customise screen / text size to the point where I cannot see the quickslot bar in the bottom (figure attached). I went several times to UI Res / Game Video options, making sure font size was enabled/ checked. When I get to UI options, only the first one (highest) allows to choose size 1 or 2. Soze 2 is very large but at least i can read text, yet the quickslot bar not appearing still happens. Please what am I doing wrong?

I am also attaching copied text from my Computer/ Windows / dxdiag specs. Many Thanks!

Laptop Lenovo:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
    RAM 16,0 Go (15,8 Go utilisable)
    Système d’exploitation 64 bits, processeur x64
    Intel HD Graphics 530
    Version DirectX: DirectX12

Windows 10 Famille
    Version 20H2

0fi4k2ypc3zr.png

EDIT 1: regarding the quickslot bar, pressing that "adjust screen" between the minimising and closing buttons to the upper right corner will allow the slots to appear. I still am left with very small font size though.
    Post edited by pdesbois on
    @pdesbois

sorry I didnt see this post before now but RL has been busy over the past few months. It seems like you need to change your resolution of your screen so you can see the entire GUI.
    Biolab00 wrote: »
    I think it should be important to mention that Arelith has a rule they don't exactly always inform new players about. Apparently "being liked" by server staff is a condition for them to treat people with basic decency. It doesn't matter how polite you try to be - slightest differences in opinions can get you in trouble. Be warned - if you'll write something they don't like on Arelith forums - posts will disappear no matter if you didn't break any of their rules.

I wrote a simple comment about part of their content being buggy and as result one of their DM-s started to provoke me on discord using foul language just so when I actually answer have a pretext to ban me out of spite.

Fair warning for those interested to play there simply aimed to save people some disappointment.

Yep. I fully agree with you. Actually left a bad taste and it's already been half a year since the incident. I've no idea why but i'm feeling rather keen in sharing what happens that caused me extreme rage.

I've been playing on Arelith since before EE migration. Despite these long years of gaming, i did not actually engage in their community but simply doing exploration, leveling etc. I've rolled many characters that i've already lost count on. And attributed to that, i have very little gaming hours due to work, around 3 hours +/- per day.

In fact, i sort of start to immerse myself into Arelith since the EE migration and start to become active in the community and RP gaming. Despite having played so long, i'm still a newbie to this RP thing and the various rules / regulations ( may i add that the rules are as long as "term and conditions" in a formal legal contract and there are many grey areas in them, ICly or OOCly )

Especially due to the time-zone difference (GMT+8), i almost didn't have any chance to interact with any DMs or participate in any of the IC gatherings / events.

Now, the very sour thing that actually happens do not come from players but from DM. I've made a toon that have properly and heavily invested myself into the game, purchasing the right abode at my class-restricted place, managing my shops which also happens to be where my character's abode was and trade, as well as engaging in proper conversation with merchants in my Time-zone. It was very fulfilling and i have manage to amass some wealth.

And then, my toon happens to actually pass by another vacant shop ( mind you, there's almost no vacant shop available due to the sheer shortage of them ) and i was feeling so exhilarated that i've found another shop and Lady Luck must have bless me hence, i've immediately bought it and manage the shop.

This situation lasted around 2 weeks or so, when suddenly, the shop that contain almost all my wealth and i've painstakenly amassed over several months, was somehow taken over by another random player. I completely on the spot, went bonkers. So I raged in the discord and forum, and somehow, the reason why the shop was being removed from me, is because i broke the rule of having 2 shops because only 1 shop per player is allowed.

Now, I truly have no idea of this and there's no OOC or IC messages that mention when you taken over a shop that you cannot have more than 1 shop ( yes, it's possible to warn people if you are buying the shop because there's several things in Arelith that do that, for example, server transition spot, they do warn. )
    This 1 person per shop rule is simply among one of the sentence in the "rules/regulation". So i've raged and blasted in the forum ( which all was forcibly removed by the DM ) and they only throw me a single reason - i've broken the rule.

I am very very pented up because even if i've broken the rule ( which i've no idea of ), they can definitely drop me a PM or tell or even do it in game since there's way to contact me ( I've made it so for my character in the game because i've a dwelling place which there's a sole board crafted outside just meant to let me know what's wrong that people can leave message for urgent matters ) but no, they just remove the right of my shop and all the items in my shop becomes a random player ( a very great lottery for him ). I have to stress that the shop i owned, actually worth in game of at least 2 million gold or more. It's my full wealth.

I was completely overwhelmed. This is because there's many way that they can actually handle it better. How can they not know the pain of losing so many million of gold and that my account history never ever own any shop before. It was my first time among these several years in Arelith that i actually owned a shop. Out of so many way to resolve, they choose the most inhuman ( robotic ) way.

When you realised that months of hardwork is simply at a click of these DM for a very grey rule ( not actually heavily emphasis ) gets completely removed, It's like i totally lost confidence and all in this game. I supposed that these rules are meant to control the old players with plenty of wealth that rival city or simply control the economy of Arelith, but why am i, the insignificant player, that bores the brunt of it. Perhaps it's because i'm insignificant ( And i'm actually a platinium supporter, having donated hundreds of dollars to this Arelith too ). Oh and probably, this proves that they are super just and i'm deserved this shit ( Yes, i'm being sarcastic ).

Anyhow, somehow, i felt like venting this frustration. My user name in Arelith is still Biolab00 and that my IC toon during then was a Monk which comes by the pet name "Tavy". Though this matter leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that i firmly believed that i may never goes back.

The shop rule of one per cd key is well documented and mentioned often in both the forums and in the Wiki do to what you mentioned that there are only so many shops available.

The rule is simple you may own and operate only 1 permanent leased shop across all 4 servers, and 1 temporary shop that has a certain hourly time for a minor rental cost, usually around 10-25 gold but a few can be up to 100 gold for the 7 real life hour rentals.

It isnt a grey rule, it isnt a hidden rule, and it has nothing to do with being liked or disliked. DMs do not control the shops leases unless it is brought to them and if so you would have been pulled into a DM area to discuss the matter.

Had you not vented and simply tried to speak with Spyre or Grumpycat, they usually can sort through the log files and had a productive sit down with you.

At no time is any player insignificant, and I can attest to that considering ive pushed boundaries to the limits, and yet they still treat me the same as someone who has never pushed a rule. All Players are equal, no matter how people think, and they are all treated the exact same way.

You should go back and make a new character with a fresh perspective and try the new content. maybe play in the Underdark this time, or on the Surface.

New Back Models
    21/05/11

Sweet Potato & Anatida

“FORSOOTH FOUL PEASANTS, DEVOID OF FASHION AS THOU ART, FOR THE GREAT AND MAJESTIC SWEET POTATO DOTH GRACE THINE UNADORNED BACKS WITH A COLLECTION OF ACCESSORIES WITH WHICH YOU MAY SPEND AN ETERNITY BROWSING THROUGH”

(Note to self - Don't ask Sweet Potato to write their own news announcements in future.)

Following on from last years robe update, the art team is now offering a huge selection of new customization, to occupy the 'wing slot' on the character. These have been custom made by artist Sweet Potato and are currently unique to Arelith. Formerly with only a few possibities from the base NWN, there are now a wealth of options to reflect your characters roleplay.

Backpacks

From miner's tools, to peddler frames and bloody sacks. there are many options to show just what your character is transporting.

Banners & Flags

Show your affiliation by being the standard bearer. Avoid friendly fire in large battles.

Weapons

Whereas previously NWN offered only single swords & greatswords, now we include many others, such as crossed scimitars, crossbows, scythes and axes

Musical Instruments

Signal your character's musical leanings by visibly carrying your instrument. Don't be surprised to get requests when entering a tavern!

And many, many more!

From books to boulders, shields, baskets & cages, there are many more options. Some, like the caged gnome above, will only be open to DMs and world builders, while others, might cater to a particular moment. Remember these options can be cycled through at will, so characters are not limited to just one choice.

Much of the above was a direct result from suggestions by our community, and whether to make more, or review the other update features going live today, please visit our forums.

Project Underdark - Greyport
    21/06/26

Irongron

Using a number of new resouces and tilesets, the update to Greyport is the first of a number of upcoming changes to Arelith's Underdark.

- The Red Tower

The Red Tower of Greyport

A major addition to Greyport. This noble estate and guildhouse is the largest yet added to Andunor. It includes a number of interior quarters, it's own private mine, and a variety of UD Pets & Henchmen.

- Updated Interiors

The existing interiors of Greyport have received a facelift, most especially the seat of player power, the Port Authority.

- 8 New Shops

More locations for Underdark players to sell their wares in Andunor.

- New Player Temple

Using Arelith's Dynamic Player Temple system, a cleric who purchases this temple can set the deity, from the many faiths supported on the server.

- Seven New Henchmen

These NPCs will join you on your adventures. While most require a certain level & leadership score, others restricted only to those of a noble background.

Expect considerable further additions to the Underdark in the coming weeks and months, including over a dozen entirely new dungeons and associated quests. Further details, as always, can found on our forums.

Expanded Cleric Domains
    21/07/01

Kenji, Red Ropes

"The relationship of NWN and Cleric has always been a bit of a rocky road. They have largely relied upon their core book of spells and the vanilla domains besides Travel, Trickery, and Plant were never really interesting. Even some of the previous work on Arelith did not do much to break from these paths - only trying to toss out other gimmicks to make some picks of domains that were not those three.

In 3e PnP cleric domains tend to have a lot more narrative purpose and the gods themselves usually only have influence enough to teach their priesthoods a few of them. These things are usually tied to a deity in a metaphysical way that gives you the core theme of what that god stands for and mechanically a domain would effectively reserve two of your spell slots for the spells in your domain lists.

What we have decided to do is work with these ideas and reconcile to them the reality that Arelith and NWN are a game much different than a table top experience - as well as our own limitations in the engine currently (such as how many feats we can add or spells per spell-book)." - Red Ropes

It's long been a wish of our players for more domains, and the complete list, and their assocated spells can be found on the Arelith Wiki

This sits alongside other changes to Arelith's Cleric Class and those surrounding deities, including our unique 'aspect' system, and support for existing Forgotten Realms heresies.

As always you can read about this and other updates, as well as read feedback from our players on theArelith Forums.

Dungeons of the Flood Plains
    21/07/09

Irongron

The first of a series of new dungeons added to Arelith's underdark, sees a bullywug settlement, and a troglodtyle citadel added to the Flood Plains beyond the gates of Andunor. These are extensive dungeons designed for prolonged dungeon crawls for levels 5-12.

This updates comprises of -

- 10 New Areas

- New and Improved Creatures

- 3 New Quests (Writs)

The Troglodtye Citadel

The Throne Room of Queen Y'Cranos

Having laid claim to a forgotten ancient structure to the north of Andunor's flood plains, an undead queen aims to gather and lead her primitive lizardfolk, and forge a fledgling empire to rival any in the region. Adventures of Andunor are tasked to put an end this foolish dream once and for all...

There are many features in this dungeon, including secret doors, pit traps leading to the dreaded shark pit. Spread over a number of extensive interiors, some of which using tilesets new to Arelith, this is intended to breathe new life into the dungeoneering experience for those playing in Arelith's Underdark.

Blood Magic in the Depths of the Stronghold.

Beware the stench of the Troglodtyes...

The Bullywug Settlement of Urae-Slananis

The Entrance to Urae-Slananis

Bullywugs are a primitive, savage race who make their home in the wetlands of Faerun. While not normally native to the Underdark, the waterlogged floodplains of Arelith's upperdark make an ideal habitate. Known to consort with the weaker slaad, and to worship a sleeping primordial god, their relentless appetite for the local rothe threatens the food production of Andunor.

The Great Encampment of the Bullywugs

The Chamber of Ramenos, Home to the Montrous Toad
  • DethosDethos Member Posts: 1
    Wouldn't recommend the server.

Amazing technical achievements abound. Well made, lovingly crafted. But has some negatives to it which ultimately after three years of play I can say are not simple one off issues from time to time.

1, Didn't deliver Patreon rewards as a subscriber as promised by the level subscribed at in the two times I did so over three years. Made numerous attempts to contact when pledged, the last being over the course of a month, with no reply.

2, 'Insider / Outsider' community on the server. Unless you are in with a DM PC, you're just expected to be a glorified NPC on Arelith.

3, Bills itself as, but makes minimum effort to be, a persistent world like a pen and paper Dungeons & Dragons roleplay focused experience. Server is great for 'Roll Play' style, with gear grind, and power build fu galore, but for sure is NOT roleplay focused at all.

Would recommend playing on the server if you bring existing player friends with you. And would strongly, strongly advise to not get involved in the server's in character dynamics. You'll be happier experiencing the server as a limited MMORPG, and coming back every so often to experience new PvE content as it is rolled out. But as a persistent world which seeks roleplayers to help make it an immersive experience, it simply does not live up to its ends of creating that.
    edited July 2022
    Ebonstar wrote: »
    Biolab00 wrote: »

The shop rule of one per cd key is well documented and mentioned often in both the forums and in the Wiki do to what you mentioned that there are only so many shops available.

The rule is simple you may own and operate only 1 permanent leased shop across all 4 servers, and 1 temporary shop that has a certain hourly time for a minor rental cost, usually around 10-25 gold but a few can be up to 100 gold for the 7 real life hour rentals.

It isnt a grey rule, it isnt a hidden rule, and it has nothing to do with being liked or disliked. DMs do not control the shops leases unless it is brought to them and if so you would have been pulled into a DM area to discuss the matter.

Had you not vented and simply tried to speak with Spyre or Grumpycat, they usually can sort through the log files and had a productive sit down with you.

At no time is any player insignificant, and I can attest to that considering ive pushed boundaries to the limits, and yet they still treat me the same as someone who has never pushed a rule. All Players are equal, no matter how people think, and they are all treated the exact same way.

You should go back and make a new character with a fresh perspective and try the new content. maybe play in the Underdark this time, or on the Surface.

While i may disagree with your argument about the rule. But it is true that i've vented my frustration out in the forum and at them with rage.
    I was never pulled to the DM Area regarding this as it's simply an outright removal with no mercy. Perhaps due to time zone difference that they usually can't find me online. Yet, it doesn't cross their mind that the same applies to me, as well, that it's extremely difficult for me to find them online.
    Hence, it's still a no-solution.

Nonetheless, It's been already a year since then and i've already cooldowned. I will go back in the server to take a look once awhile, in my free time. I will not delete my earlier post and judgement on this server.

It is true that i do not recommend this server due to my rage that i wrote the earlier negative review. Yet it goes true as well that i'm heading back to have a look. Life is a contradiction really and i'm honest, not afraid about admitting it.

EDIT : As of now, 26/02/2022, i've given Arelith a good go. Once again, same thing happens. Somehow, i've breached a rule that i wasn't aware as it's quite the norm, at Arelith. Most of my things are removed at the whims of DMs. Even items that was given through Roleplay by other players.
    The Rule is simply that i've invisible myself and head to various dungeon to secure loot which is what many players have done. Nothing happens for 2 Real life months until i was pulled to the DM room and my alot of my items, simply removed right in front of my face. I was also told that gold too, will be removed. Items given by Saslae, through RP, Boon of the nightmare Court, was confiscated as well. Truly, i've no idea who i offended though.
    There's no mention of warning given, nor are there any basic courtesy given. Without asking for consent, in a single minute, Books, Accessories, Gold, Equipments get removed. It's basically as though i'm a livestock that is punished for being special. Yep, punished. There's no human rights nor any respect given. No asking before doing, no questioning how severe it was. But straightaway, judged as though you're a criminal, removed your gold and items from your inventory without consent, nor was there any courtesy given to player. I almost felt like i'm a criminal there and it really felt violated.
    Post edited by Biolab00 on
  • noanoa Member Posts: 1
    Arelith: Elite & the rest.

Discovered the server in 2022 and whats written above, sadly, still applies. Wish i had read it beforehand. Its even worser now in my opinion.
    Heavy DM Favorism. New players are gonna be ignored. You are just "cannon fooder" for the server PvPers which are DM supported. DMs react immediately to reports from "buddys" but if you send something as "outsider", you will be ignored. Server is in truth a PVP server for DMs & their buddies. Its all set up for that. Grinding & PVP are rewarded.
    Some terrible community of the elite there too. The established groups are ingame disrespectful of people and are gonna insult you if you are not native english speaker. Thats all they are capable of. That and solving issues with PVP - there is no real RP from the "elite" server groups.

Like author above wrote, if you have friends playing, give it a try. If you are new, go first to Ravenloft or Cormyr of the Dalelands.
    On Arelith, you only gonna have long term fun if you are with some group of friends there, and ideally lucky to have a DM or DM friend in that group that is gonna abuse their knowledge and abilities in favor of themselfs.

DMs are unfriendly in interactions, they just "inform" you that you did something they dont approve. Usually just after conflict with some of established groups that are favored by them. Critism of any kind results in immidient Ban or you are given a chance to "not give negative feedback" anymore.

As things are gained on the server through PvP, new players wont have a chance to achieve anything, because you wont know the builds and game mechanics. And one has to make meta characters for PvP there.

My recommendation: avoid the server.
    edited December 2022
    I'm a player who had both enjoyed Arelith and disliked Arelith before over spans of years, before the migration to EE.
    Perhaps because i'm approaching middle age group and that I find myself, able to understand and accept these imperfections that i used, not to able to.

Regarding the server -
    Arelith is a server, unlike other MMO, that it does not emphasis and *discriminate* New Players.
    The reason why i put asterisk is because, this is a roleplay server that has grown large and yet, does not deviate from this core concept : Role Playing. Yes, there are definitely OOC intention, but we're all humans. It's completely impossible to avoid this portion of OOC. If i were to rate IC and OOC in ratio, Arelith probably stands 7.5 IC : 2.5 OOC out of 10.

For New Players, if you're good at roleplaying or enjoy roleplaying, you'll find yourself in good position, no matter which point you start. This server has plenty of new content, regularly added by contributors that actually promotes, creating new characters.
    And the various rules about one quarter for one CDKEY etc, is not just to meant to control monopolism but also, to make sure that the player has to choose, which character that they need to invest for their Roleplay.

For Content, this server has extremely large content, compared to other servers. Before i joined Arelith dated back to before EE, it was a time whereby NWN persistent worlds flourished, I was young and i played for adventure. As one of those players and also witnessing the extra content added throughout the years, I'm able to say that Arelith's content is worth playing and enjoying.
    It ranges from -
    1) Reading the books that are written by players that had played in the server over 20 years and longer worth of history.
    2) Simple conversation daily via RP at Tavern and even Politics ( Which the ratio of IC and OOC is the same as what i've written above 7.5 IC and 2.5 OOC out of 10, because with the OOC intention driven direction, there are plots and method to achieve it ICly for experienced roleplayers. ) Although Politics is a chore, there are certain flavor in it which some might enjoy while some, detest.
    3) Adventure. There're too many adventures in Arelith. Too many. To actually enjoy the so-called full content of adventures on the pure surface-level, you will have to play different characters that start at different zones.
    For Skaljard, you need to create a new player to fully enjoy the content because it's not meant and impossible for the High levels player to achieve, even if they somehow went to Skaljard.
    For Surface, the adventures are so much that you will reach maximum level before even clearing half of what's available for you to explore. ( I can reliably say that even myself, i've only completed 95% of it and perhaps 5% overlooked due to the extensive amount )
    For Underdark, you'll need to create a new player to also fully enjoy the content because it separate itself, from the Surface adventures.
    For Post maximum level, there're plenty of Epic Dungeons that are still, almost impossible for characters to solo and it can in fact, gives some sense of achievement if you had triumphed over it.
    All of the above content, is not including the Sailing content added over the recent years which effectively still got me hooked till now.

For DMs.
    I've never had a good experience with these DMs yet.
    Perhaps because i've grown older as mentioned, i've came to understand more of the finer things that i had overlook.
    Arelith Server have plenty of players and that is a fact.
    The DMs chosen, they're simply volunteers, and that is both a relief and a cause for concern.
    It's a relief because at least, you've people willing to volunteer to take on these tasks that would otherwise had to be paid for being in this position.
    And the sametime they are DMs, they were once and still, players. Just like how it's impossible to police every single player, it's difficult as well, to police these DMs that are both players and volunteers.
    I'm not aware of the criteria for choosing them but, I'm very sure that for any established organisation of sorts, there MUST be Guidelines, and how you understand, deploy these guidelines depend on the person.
    For a commerical company, these DMs are paid to do the job and they're trained extensively and know the clear limits and to follow these guidelines.
    Arelith isn't a commerical company hence, the DMs might have been briefed and yes, brief, because it's not possible to train them since they're not paid to do the job. And there're definitely guidelines for them, but as i've said that these guidelines differs for each person because they're not comprehensively trained to do the job.

When i wrote to this point, i'm actually amazed to realise that Arelith has actually survived for so long, over span of more than 20 years because of these volunteers and effectively, there are many volunteers, from DMs to Contributors.
    And because i can't come to offer any solution and i do respect how a game can grow to this extent through community effort that I felt that i need to write this post because I was and perhaps still is, a player that enjoys the game server Arelith.
    I enjoy the game because of the community and content but I've eaten a fair share of bad apples from these DMs as well which i've come to realise that, the circumstance of these DMs differs from those commerical company.

Although i've said that and all, i do not delete what i've written as negative feedback from my earlier post because i do advocates truth and there's no reason to hide it.
    My only advise for New Players are simply, to mix around with the older players as a cohesive effort through RP and you'll find yourself protected from alot of rulebreakings because those oldies know what is -can- and what is -cannot-.

And do i recommend Arelith?
    Despite having said in my earlier post that i do not recommend this server.
    Yet, from the standpoint after removing my Bias, this is a server worth recommending and in fact, it's among the upper tier even, simply from the Content and IC aspect of it. I've come to appreciate and actually respect these volunteers' work, that actually created content that brought me much joy in playing and yes, i've went back again after half a year of break, that itself is a testament that it's not a bad game. Otherwise, i would never had return to play it after such a period of time.
    While toxic and OOC metagaming exist, it will exist in every RP server.
    Arelith has keep it in check, for a good measure despite the extensive player base which deserves some applaud.

• JowanHackerJowanHacker Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2023
    Relent
    Post edited by JowanHacker on
  • SartainSartain Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2023
    I think anyone who is considering playing Arelith would do well to read this first: https://www.reddit.com/r/neverwinternights/comments/rlwv48/arelith_a_review/

My personal take-away is: Avoid the community, the established players, the factions, the established RP and the DM staff as much as humanly possible and you can have plenty of fun. Bring some friends if possible and play in Skal