Skip to content

Youtube Let's Play! Let me know your interests.

EdHousdenEdHousden Member Posts: 40
edited December 2012 in Fan Creations
Hello fellow BG players, if anyones interested, which I hope you are, I will be recording all gameplay (with voice) and uploading it to youtube, I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in watching it? My channel is www.youtube.com/T3DWOD

I will be creating a playlist just for the game so you can begin watching all episodes in one place.

Feedback on this would be awesome as I want to know how popular it could be.

Thank you!
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• loganultimaloganultima Member Posts: 109
    Would like to see one on hardest difficulty if you're up for the endeavour.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Insane difficulty :)
  • EdHousdenEdHousden Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for your feedback. I would love to do that, but I don't feel i'm experienced enough. I will definitely bare it in mind though as I can understand that would be cool to watch, but also wouldn't want viewers to get bored if I wasn't doing well! :P
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I would like a lets play where you try to keep both goody goody members and the most evil of NPCs from killing each other on your adventure.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Yey =) Let's play! Try some RPing, by that I mean make choices your character would do and explain them =)
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2012
    I would be extremely intrigued if you could play with SCS mod(improve AI without changing HP, level or stats) installed, with core difficulty. The mod enables so many tactical variations that each player has different methods of beating the game. It's not very difficult; it just requires a lot of tactical thinking. (imagine a multi-player vs other gamers.)

Nobody has LP of BG1 with SCS on youtube, so why not become a pioneer?

Installing spell revision is recommended as it brings a proper balance among spells. In vanilla BG players are forced to use the same spells as some spells are too effective compared to others.

And... people tend to prefer LP with a high difficulty setting because of Schadenfreude - pleasure in others' misfortune. :p

SCS isn't some cheesy scripts-ridden custom difficulty mod. It only makes enemies smarter and more reasonable, thus my recommendation :)

I look forward to see your LP.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Sure, I'll check you out! It's always interesting to see another fellow LPer and his actions in the beastes of all adventures! (yes, I said beastest, because the game is a beast of goodies, I tell you that)

I won't request anything myself. Play as you feel like playing, don't let the commenters on youtube decide how you should play. That spoils the fun of it. Insight is good, orders not really :P
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2012
    double post. sorry.
    Personally when I play on high difficulties I like the extra challenge and by the end of it I feel more fulfilled. I don't know no Shadenfreude shizzle, I just want to see dem skillz.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Can't wait to see it, man. Tell us when the first video comes out.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Ill watch!
    I think i'll start a new thread when the let's play begins, just to upload all the parts in. If anyone can think of a better alternative so that more people can see that would be awesome. But with the feedback I have gotten on here I would be happy if just you guys watched!
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    I want to put up some footage of this game asap, probably in the form of a review or at least "first impressions" video, however the launch date couldn't arrive at a worst time relative to everything else in my life currently. I literally have every single project at uni to finish this week and the next, and then the finals are coming very fast after. So I can't guarantee anything unfortunately.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036

Nobody has LP of BG1 with SCS on youtube, so why not become a pioneer?

I didn't know about SCS when I started my BG1 LP, but I'm LPing BG2 with SCSII.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I was thinking of Let's playing this game too. What program are you using for footage, FRAPS?
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    @Zeckul OMG It's you! Love your stuff man!
    Giving free tip, download Razer Game Booster which is free. It has a built-in gameplay recording software which records at same or better quality than fraps while compressing the files a lot. One min of gameplay footage is 81mb as opposed to almost 1GB of Fraps.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    81 mb is still quite a bit, especially if you're not planning to render (not recommended). With a video rendered, I can get it as low as 200 MB in size for half an hour of gameplay footage on 720p. Quite good quality too, not blurry, no artifacts... Just Baldur's Gate ;)
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    @Zeckul I am subscribed to your channel, I didn't know it was you, 'love your videos :)!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    No reloads or some sort of reload restriction.

Giving free tip, download Razer Game Booster which is free. It has a built-in gameplay recording software which records at same or better quality than fraps while compressing the files a lot. One min of gameplay footage is 81mb as opposed to almost 1GB of Fraps.

I'll check this out, thanks for the tip :)
    edited December 2012
    http://youtu.be/BYP5O0q1P1A
    Please leave feedback guys! I'm a newbie :-)
    edited November 2012
    My feedback will include:

1. Speak up a little. Recording is always strange at first, so it's easy to be shy or something. But the more confident your speaking is, the more entertaining the let's play will be.

2. Don't stop talking for more than a second or so. Even if it means you ramble a bit. What I've done is think of before hand or partially script some segments where you talk about something when you can't think of much to say. Be it about the game's history, or a story you have about the game, or anything really. But dead spots generally aren't good. With the exception being for dialogue and cutscenes.

Those are my pointers for now. I'll keep up with your next parts as you release them!
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    wish the game would stop freezing my computer to death

:(

I'll still keep trying though..... sigh
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335

1. Speak up a little. Recording is always strange at first, so it's easy to be shy or something. But the more confident your speaking is, the more entertaining the let's play will be.

2. Don't stop talking for more than a second or so. Even if it means you ramble a bit. What I've done is think of before hand or partially script some segments where you talk about something when you can't think of much to say. Be it about the game's history, or a story you have about the game, or anything really. But dead spots generally aren't good. With the exception being for dialogue and cutscenes.

Those are my pointers for now. I'll keep up with your next parts as you release them!

I agree with your first point, but very much disagree with the second. It is certainly okay to stop talking for more than a few seconds - you certainly do not want to ramble. Allowing the viewer to watch the game play and hear the game sounds for a bit is okay, as they can get into the action a bit more. I do like the idea about having a few topic ideas on hand for extended periods without commentary. But, don't be scared of a little quiet.

Paladin said:

I agree with your first point, but very much disagree with the second. It is certainly okay to stop talking for more than a few seconds - you certainly do not want to ramble. Allowing the viewer to watch the game play and hear the game sounds for a bit is okay, as they can get into the action a bit more. I do like the idea about having a few topic ideas on hand for extended periods without commentary. But, don't be scared of a little quiet.

I see that. I guess it depends what kind of game you're Let's Playing. Perhaps a better way to phrase what I said would be to maybe not always be talking, but always be communicating something interesting to listen to. There are tons and tons of horrible Let's Plays on youtube that are just some d-bag narrating exactly what's going on on-screen. It's good to avoid that, less you become one of the d-bags.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335

Paladin said:

I see that. I guess it depends what kind of game you're Let's Playing. Perhaps a better way to phrase what I said would be to maybe not always be talking, but always be communicating something interesting to listen to. There are tons and tons of horrible Let's Plays on youtube that are just some d-bag narrating exactly what's going on on-screen. It's good to avoid that, less you become one of the d-bags.
    I'll go with that.

Thanks for your feedback theJoshFrost :) I will certainly take it into consideration. I have a few parts pre recorded as you can imagine, BG requires a lot of play time, so many episodes... but from now on i'll work on this. Thanks!

edited December 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLK7iR41wD4

I was not too worried about losing Xzar, as i'm trying to create a party as close to my D&D party i'm playing with currently, which I think is a pretty cool idea. Pretty sure there was suitable people to recruit coming up so did not reload to save Xzar. Gained a lot more knowledge since I recorded this episode guys!