Skip to content

Problem with AI script in BG2EE

AkanekoAkaneko Member Posts: 4
edited April 2018 in Troubleshooting
Hello,

I just started a playthrough on BG2EE, importing my characters from BG:SoD. I have a problem with my main character script. He is a dual class kensai9/mage10. Whatever the script I use, he only acts as a simple fighter and never casts any spells, even when choosing any of the wizard scripts. He also doesn't automatically use his special abilities like Draw Upon Holy Might. If I use the advanced AI script, and uncheck attack enemies while keeping cast spells checked, he will just stand around doing nothing.

In SoD, with the advanced AI script, he was acting exactly as I wanted: he would use Stoneskin and Mirror Image, then rush in melee. Then, when his enemy died, he would cast a Magic Missile on the closest enemy before moving for melee combat. With him acting like that it was perfect, I could just forget about him, let him wreak havoc and focus my attention on Neera for more specialized spells like Breach or Dominate.

Even if I can't get the same perfect script as in SoD, I would like at least for him to cast automatically Stoneskin and Armor upon rest, like Imoen does, and Mirror Image when he gets damaged. Then if he just attacks in melee, he will still be dangerous, and I can manually cast spells.

A similar problem occur with another of my character (I have 3 custom characters, using the 3 remaining slots for NPC quests). She's a Cleric/Ranger, and only uses healing spells automatically. She's not using offensive spells like Hold Person or defensive spells like Defensive Harmony or Protection From Evil 15' Radius automatically anymore, like she would in SoD.

I don't know if it's important, but I am using GoG version of BG2EE, and I was using Beamdog's version of BG:SoD. The save import went flawlessly except for that script problem.

Comments

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    Hello @Akaneko,

It definitely sounds like an issue with the AI timers caused by the import; imports are known to cause problems like this occasionally.

Could you try the fix found in this comment and see if it fixes your issue? If you don't already have the console enabled, please follow this guide.

This fix is only for the Advanced AI script; all the other scripts won't be fixed by this procedure. I suspect, though, that the other mage scripts don't work for you simply because they are super basic, and aren't scripted to use most spells in the game.

If you have any questions about the procedure, I'll be happy to answer them. If the above fix does not work, could you please zip up the save game that is acting up and attach it to your response? Thanks.
  • AkanekoAkaneko Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the reply Bubb. I'll try the fix you recommend tomorrow, the instruction are more than clear and I do have the console enabled. If the problem still occurs I'll post the save game as you recommend.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hopefully this will be fixed in the 2.5 patch (https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/30471)
    edited April 2018
    @Bubb,

I tried the fix you recommended. It worked, but only for my main character (the kensai/mage). The two other characters now do nothing at all after I used the fix.

I also tried the fix in the link provided by JuliusBorisov with the same results.

Maybe I did something wrong. In any case, I've attached my save file if you want to try. To try out if the fix work, you can go in the Den of Seven Vales to the second floor and pick a fight with the group there.

Thanks a lot for your help.

PS: Just so we're clear, this is a "clean" save, without any fixes tried on it.
    Post edited by Akaneko on
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    edited April 2018
    @Akaneko
    I found a couple of things wrong with your AI scripts, (no idea how they got broken like this!) -

1. Both Lydia's and Emi's Class Scripts are set to nothing, even though in-game they appear as set. This can be fixed by setting their scripts to "None" in the scripts menu, exiting out of the menu, then reapplying their Advanced AI script.

2. The AI timers were indeed broken in your save game. This can be fixed by going through the procedure that I outlined in my first post.

3. Not sure if this is intentional, but Lydia has "Attack Enemies" off in her Advanced AI settings. You should probably check all of the Advanced AI settings (after applying fix 1 and 2) to make sure everything is set up correctly.

And, just to make your life easier, I've attached a fixed version of your save, tested and all. Have fun!

P.S. - Note that it might appear that arcane spells aren't being cast (like Stoneskin), but this is just because your characters are currently in the city. The Advanced AI script is smart enough to know not to cast arcane spells in the city (before you pay the bribe) to avoid summoning the Cowled Wizards.
    edited April 2018
    @Bubb

Thanks a lot! You're a lifesaver!

I have no idea how 1. came to pass, but it is fixed as you said. As for 3., it was a remnant from when I was trying to get Lydia to cast spells by herself, I just forgot to turn it back on before I sent you the save. In any case, everything works perfectly now, and it's thanks to you.

I don't know how else I can thank you.

Have a good weekend,
    Akaneko