Skip to content

Bard songs losing effect on moving NPCs?

I recently began a playthrough of BG2:EE with Artemius' (quite excellent) troubadour kit mod installed, and I encountered some seemingly buggy behavior in which NPCs would intermittently lose the effects of bard songs on them when they were moving. I initially thought that this might be a bug related to the mod kit, but I tested out a vanilla bard on an unmodded download of BG2, and I encountered the same problem.

I did some research on this issue, and I read that this was reportedly an issue back in the vanilla BGs, although I can't recall encountering it myself (although admittedly, I didn't play as a bard much back then). I also read that this bug may have been re-introduced to the BG:EEs by one of the more recent patches.

I should note that I'm NOT playing with the most recent update of BG2:EE installed, as I didn't like some of the changes that were made around the time of SoD's release.

So my question is, is this a known bug that has since been fixed by one of the more recent updates to BG2:EE? And by any chance, is there a hotfix out there that I could simply download and place in my override folder so that I could continue using my current version of the game?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I complained loudly when this bug was introduced into BG:EE. A lot of the older versions didn't have it.

A Google search turned this up on the Steam forum:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/1291817837637320587/
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

I recently began a playthrough of BG2:EE with Artemius' (quite excellent) troubadour kit mod installed, and I encountered some seemingly buggy behavior in which NPCs would intermittently lose the effects of bard songs on them when they were moving. I initially thought that this might be a bug related to the mod kit, but I tested out a vanilla bard on an unmodded download of BG2, and I encountered the same problem.

I did some research on this issue, and I read that this was reportedly an issue back in the vanilla BGs, although I can't recall encountering it myself (although admittedly, I didn't play as a bard much back then). I also read that this bug may have been re-introduced to the BG:EEs by one of the more recent patches.

I should note that I'm NOT playing with the most recent update of BG2:EE installed, as I didn't like some of the changes that were made around the time of SoD's release.

So my question is, is this a known bug that has since been fixed by one of the more recent updates to BG2:EE? And by any chance, is there a hotfix out there that I could simply download and place in my override folder so that I could continue using my current version of the game?

This thread has hotfixes provided by @semiticgod that you can just drop into your override folder: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/54364/is-the-bard-song-nerf-in-2-1-intentional/p1

Though I can't attest to whether they'll work in your current version of the game if you're not running the most recent version. (I think they should, but I'm not a modder, so don't hold me to that.)