Skip to content

Help needed to pick a class.

Hey.

Lets start this by saying that i have completed BG and BG2 with each class at least once before and the only thing i need is your oppinion on the few classes that i want to play on EE (which one fits in the game best, and with what party composition).

First character that i need opinion on is Half-Elf Blade with clubs as weapons (they said they are adding more clubs so i want to test them at some point)

Second one is Half-Elf Skald with two handed swords in front row singing when low on hp.

And third and the last one im thinking of starting BG:EE first is Elf Assassin with Dagger of venom (mage killer).

So which one should i play and which one fits best in the game party composiotion wise.

I know my english sucks so bare with me :D

Comments

• MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2012
    Play the Assassin. Bards are pretty bad in BG1. Assassins are pretty consistently useful.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    I read somewhere that they're adding some elven chain... Play the blade.. Blade's are awesome. My first solo character was a female blade, she rocked.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Bard is the best class in game by far in my oppinion but it just doesnt fit in with all of the npc characters as well as assassin BUT thats what im needing the oppinion on which one fits best with the npc characters.. there are bards and thiefs alot allready.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    @raywind

That's why you should go for an Assassin. There are plenty of thieves to handle the things you can't put points into due to your assassin disadvantage. Enjoy your backstabbing.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    you won't even be able to take advantage of assassins benefits in bgee... you won't get high enough level to get x7 backstab multiplier, therefore making it completely worthless.. Adding the fact you mentioned the dagger of venom the poison dagger becomes obsolete.. And theres what, five different thieves in bg1? Roll a bard if those are your two choices, the bards in bg1 suck.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It all depends on who you take with you. Jaheria can use those shiny new clubs if you are just looking to try them out.

I'd say go Skald, but use Halberds/Pole Arms instead. Two handers are better in the hands of pallis or minc. The Lore is good for penny pinching and frees up your limited lvl one spell slots for more important spells. And a song that provides +2, +2, -2 to hit, damage, and ac at lvl one, that is one of best early party buffs you can get.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    if I remember correctly, assassins in BG are basically nerfed thieves - they don't reach their x7 multiplier until level 21, and they only get 15 points per level.
    if you want to go backstabby, go fighter/thief (or kensai -> thief if feeling cheesy, you can get shield amulet really early on in BG), I've used that (to be precise, Montaron) with Dagger of Venom on my last playthrough, and it was... *extremely* amusing.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Im mostly playing with evil side so probably no jaheira with me, and assassin gets venom weapon before i can afford dagger of venom.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Among those choices I'd probably choose Blade. Although to be fair I have yet to play a Skald or Assassin, and I look forward to one day checking them out. Perhaps in a Black Pits game.

I hear what folks are saying about the BG:EE Assassin not really getting the awesome backstab multiplier at lower levels, and therefore not being quite as cool as in BG2. For a Skald I know that Bard Song is powerful. But personally I'd rather be engaged in combat (via melee or spellcasting) all the time versus singing. Myself, I think I'll save trying a Skald for the Black Pits.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Go Skald, with some nice weapon. Polearms are rarely used, so I'd also suggest one of those.

Blades, on the other hand, are super powerful, probably even with clubs. You can't go wrong with one of those. Elf Assassin also sounds interesting, but I don't know about its actual power level.

I'd say go Skald if you want to be in the frontline as well as supporting, go Blade if you want a real badass. I'm not sure about the Assassin, although mage killers are always useful.
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    Half-Orc fighter/thief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Remember that Grand Mastery is going to be just as powerful as it was in the original. (Versus Tutu/BGT/BG2) So a fighter kit/multi/dual class might be more appropriate.

Just thought I'd add that since you are interested in melee builds.