Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Depth of Field..

badstrrefbadstrref Member Posts: 124
hello, just wondering if we could get a slider for its intensity,
and if we could have an option to set the origin of DoF calculations based upon the cursor location instead of the middle of the screen
thanks

Post edited by badstrref on
Sylvus_Moonbow

Comments

• Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    Could this be related to the same issue I am having with the new "blur the camera" on everything further away than 15 meters? It's as if everyone has suddenly lost 20/20 vision, across the board, without fail.

• SorenSoren Member, Developer Posts: 43
    badstrref said:

hello, just wondering if we could get a slider for its intensity,
    and if we could have an option to set the origin of DoF calculations based upon the cursor location instead of the middle of the screen
    thanks

I did consider using cursor location, but I personally found that it would too often become a nuisance rather than a boon, especially as you interact with the GUI.

That said, it's definitely the plan to further improve on it. And while I can't make any promises of what that will entail, all feedback is very welcome.

Could this be related to the same issue I am having with the new "blur the camera" on everything further away than 15 meters? It's as if everyone has suddenly lost 20/20 vision, across the board, without fail.

The new depth of field depends on the difference in distance between the object in focus and other elements in view, increasing with proximity of the focus. This if how depth of field realistically work. Focus is defined as slightly above your character's head, meaning you can focus your camera by rotating it and zooming in and out.

Again, it's the plan to further improve it and being better at setting focus point will definitely be a priority. But ultimately I also believe that it will always be a matter of preference whether you like having a depth of field effect at all. It's like lens flare - something that stems from the way camera lenses work more than normal human vision (the human eye does indeed have a depth of field, but the focus is always where we look so we don't often notice it).

NeverwinterWights
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    Soren said:

The new depth of field depends on the difference in distance between the object in focus and other elements in view, increasing with proximity of the focus. This if how depth of field realistically work. Focus is defined as slightly above your character's head, meaning you can focus your camera by rotating it and zooming in and out.

Again, it's the plan to further improve it and being better at setting focus point will definitely be a priority. But ultimately I also believe that it will always be a matter of preference whether you like having a depth of field effect at all. It's like lens flare - something that stems from the way camera lenses work more than normal human vision (the human eye does indeed have a depth of field, but the focus is always where we look so we don't often notice it).

I like aspects of it, but from my "view point" the only depth of field is within 10-15 meters. A character cannot look across cliff, a mountain, a horizon, without it looking like someone rubbed their butt across a Monet painting. It's just a big blur. Does it change with different camera perspectives? I'm just not seeing the visual benefit to this.

• SorenSoren Member, Developer Posts: 43
    The visual benefit is mainly the same as with lens flare: it mimics the visuals produced by a camera.

What you desribe sounds odd though and more like something you'd experience in a museum of contemporary art. Does changing camera direction not affect the focal distance at all? You should be able to rotate the camera so that it sharpens at whatever is just above your character's head on screen.

Zwerkules
  • SilfirianSilfirian Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

I have read all your comments but I must say that still today (November 2018) the depth of field is still strange.
    Especially with the character.

The character looks great, and the textures are good.
    Click here, to enlarge the screenshot.

If you move your mouse just a little bit... the character and the textures are blurry.
    Click here, to enlarge the screenshot.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,182
    @Silfirian your comment here was caught by the forum's spam filter. I have restored it and verified you so that this should not happen again.

JuliusBorisovlolien
  • SilfirianSilfirian Member Posts: 2
    Yes, sorry about that, really. I had some issues with Firefox (not refreshing correctly). Thank you, Tresset!

JuliusBorisovlolien
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 215
    What do the settings for depth of field do? Amount, deadzone, vignette. What focus types are there?