Skip to content

What's wrong with all the doors?

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hello, I tried to start a new NWN:EE OC game today, and immediately noticed something wrong with all the doors. I can't click beyond any of them to walk through them at the camera angle I like, which is fairly zoomed in. Instead, the whole door frame lights up blue and wants to close the door.

I have to spin the camera angle all the way around to find a point where I can click beyond the doors.

This lack of control can actually be deadly in certain situations, like in the Prison, where there are mobs attacking you through doorways as soon as you open them.

I don't know if I can get used to playing like this enough to enjoy the game, because it's enough to take me out of my immersion zone.

The current build is definitely a step back. I read people talking about problems in another thread, but I didn't understand until now.

The audio still behaves really weirdly, as well. Voices and sound effects keep sounding like they're coming from all the wrong sides, distances, and places.
ZwerkulesSylvus_MoonbowNeverwinterWightsdTdProont

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Wow, now the pathfinding is more broken than I've ever seen it.

I'm playing a wizard with a panther familiar, a summoned dire boar, and Daelan Red Tiger.

You know that first ramp up into the prison district? I can't get all four of us up there. One person or animal always gets stuck in the corner at the bottom of the ramp, and nothing I do can get the stuck toon to come up the ramp.

The same thing happened in that house at the bottom of the ramp, where you have to make a u-turn around the wall to fight three prisoners. Daelan and my dire boar got stuck in the wall, leaving squishy me and my panther to fight the prisoners alone. I've never had problems like this before.

This is a deadly problem, because, while I don't think I put in any difficulty enhancing mods, only a couple of aesthetic ones, there are now gang leaders waiting at the top of that ramp. Also, the prisoners are attacking from stealth mode. Zwerkule's Facelift doesn't do that, does it? I thought it was only an aesthetic mod.

I need to find out where the difficulty enhancement is coming from, because I don't want it.

Anyway, the pathfinding now cannot handle three additional companions following the main character. One will always get stuck.
    dTdProont
    Okay, I removed all mods to be sure. There are now two gang leaders at the top of the first ramp going to the prison in the OC, and one of them is a mage who turns invisible and shoots Melf's Acid Arrows.

I removed all mods to be sure. I had not heard of Beamdog making changes like this to the OC. Does anyone know what is going on?

I finally had to save and reload the game just to get all three companions up the ramp. I guess another solution would be to wait until being around obstacles before summoning my summoned animal.

I assume the whole game is going to be messed up like this. So I can't play EE until there are fixes. And I'd really like to know where those changes to the OC are coming from.
    dTd
  • SquidgetSquidget Member Posts: 15
    There were some issues in the patch that was just released for EE, causing some display problems with doors and rumored pathfinding issues. From what we've heard, they are working on a fix and it should be out soon.
    @Squidget , Good to know.

Okay, so in fairness, I just played 1.69 with a wizard up to the same point. The fourth party member still couldn't get up the ramp. So, I guess that's always been a thing. My bad. I think it has something to do with Daelan's double-bladed axe being too big for the game's pathfinding to handle appropriately, especially with a group of four units.

Interestingly, the two gang leaders with one of them being a mage with Acid Arrows were also there. I don't remember ever seeing that before. It must have to do with the fact that I don't think I've ever played a wizard through the OC, so there are class adjustments the game has always made that I didn't know about. I had no idea the OC adjusted enemies to your class.

I had noticed treasure in chests adjusting to class, as now every chest seems to contain spell scrolls for my wizard. Oh well.

Boy, did I miss the vibrant colors! I mean, wow. It was like Dorothy stepping back into black and white Kansas after having been in the beautiful Land of Oz for several months.
    dTdDrakonProont
    Well, darn. Now I just had a crash to desktop when entering a house while playing EE. This is getting very frustrating.
    Okay, so that crash happened when trying to enter a house. When I went back in, it happened again. Meaning that area was not going to load. So, I removed all mods except Aielund, Real Skies Lite, Winter Tiles, and the CEP. That fixed it, and I was able to start playing again.

The mods I removed were Beamdog's mods, plus colored icons and Zwerkule's Facelift.

I hope it will be more stable now, and I hope I can eventually play Aielund without crash issues.

I really don't want to go back to 1.69, because the colors in it look really washed out to me now. EE has spoiled me on the vibrant colors improvement.

But I kind of think, for a remastered game that was supposed to be backwards compatible and very mod-friendly, NWN:EE is not any of those things. It's a bit sad, really.

Still, I'm trying really hard to suck it up and have fun with what we have, and to still be a Beamdog supporter.
    pscytheProont
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks a lot for all the feedback, it's been passed to the team.

The appearance of the doors was changed, though there's currently an issue with mouse-over / accessing them. It's an issue that's being looked into.
    BelgarathMTHZwerkulesProont
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    Not sure if It's related to the current door problems but I also noticed that when my PC is walking around, the doors I can see will turn bright and when my PC stops the doors get dim. It's like they are fluctuating between static and non static objects depending on whether or not my character is moving and based off the brightness of the light reflecting off of them. I don't know. Just some more door weirdness anyhow.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks everyone for their feedback!

We’re making it so that door boxes now again don’t have a highlight when mousing over them. (This was a very sneaky regression introduced by making the script call SetTransitionTarget work).

https://steamcommunity.com/games/704450/announcements/detail/2779165948478533583
    DerpCityProontBelgarathMTH
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited June 2018
    Just tested my developer version and it has been fixed. I do not know when the next public patch update will be but can confirm, the doors no longer glow even if it is a door in the same area. They still glow as expected when it is an area to a new area transition (requires loading).
    JuliusBorisovDerpCitydTd
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402

Okay, so in fairness, I just played 1.69 with a wizard up to the same point. The fourth party member still couldn't get up the ramp. So, I guess that's always been a thing. My bad. I think it has something to do with Daelan's double-bladed axe being too big for the game's pathfinding to handle appropriately, especially with a group of four units.

This is not a bug but feature of patch 1.69 - before that, creatures and player character were not "solid", two player could stand basically on same spot. 1.69 changed this which made the game be little more realistic, but on the other hand it raised new issues like this one. I suppose that your problem could be solved with little adjustments into the 2da file controlling how much space each model takes. That would however required very extensive and accurate testing.

Interestingly, the two gang leaders with one of them being a mage with Acid Arrows were also there. I don't remember ever seeing that before. It must have to do with the fact that I don't think I've ever played a wizard through the OC, so there are class adjustments the game has always made that I didn't know about. I had no idea the OC adjusted enemies to your class.

I had noticed treasure in chests adjusting to class, as now every chest seems to contain spell scrolls for my wizard. Oh well.

Monster spawns in OC are scaled based on party level. And, unfortunately for mages and druids, summoned creatures and familiar/animal counts into this which then can lead into spawning stronger enemies. This is feature so the OC is playable by higher level character.

Yes, treasures are class-adjusted for most part. They also tend to spawn weapon you take focus into.

Can't comment on doors and audio, but these things are absolutely normal in NWN and EE didn't altered it.
    BelgarathMTHProontpscythe