Skip to content

The struggle is real! Naming your adventures

Here's the thing. I like roleplaying my characters, up to certain extent.
My paladins are always Seraphina's, my bards are either Melusina or Charlotte, my druids are either Morgana's or Gwenllian/Saga's, my clerics are Dorothea's.... you get the picture.... Yes, I play Female party 100% of the time.

But I'm yet to find great name for thieves or barbarians....

Do you have some similar quirk? I hope I'm not too weird.
ThacoBellDev6AerakarProont

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    While this is certainly stereotypical of me, I find Norse names to be pretty fitting for Barbarians, though they are also inherently cool.
    Barbarian:
    Astrid, Brynhild, Gudrun, etc.

Rogue names need to sound quick, or michievous.
    Fiora, Tress, Kris, etc.

I tend to play a lot of female characters in games, I think this goes all the way back to Streets of Rage where I would always play as Blaze. While its a more recent development for BG, I do have a few staple names I stick with.

I like Fiora for quick agile melee characters. Gudrun is my go to for more strength types. I use Tolkien's Black Speech for demi humans. Korb, Prral Ognir, etc.
    Dev6AerakarProont
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

Here's a random collection of names that I've used for female characters in the past:

Valorie
    Evangela
    Rhodanna
    Johanna
    Brynna
    Kalindra
    Alandra
    Melandra
    Amahlia
    Varanis
    Tamaris
    Darthura
    Daloria
    Serena
    Layenna
    Mirienne

Maybe you can find one or two that tickle your fancy?
    Dev6ThacoBellAerakarProont
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Most people on this forum can probably finish a couple chapters of BG/IWD faster than I can choose a party to play with.
    I feel like it's a big process, and I spend a lot of time constructing them, though it's far from being a chore. I have a lot of fun with it.
    I usually start by writing down a couple of ideas on paper. Do I want a thief? Do I want a paladin? etc.
    Then, when those first couple of ideas are written down, I'll choose some portraits that I feel would work well with the characters I'm trying to create, while adjusting if need be (ex: I was thinking of having a human shaman, but I ended up chosing a half-orc shaman instead because I saw a nice portrait).
    I also try to imagine what their personalities would be like. Why are they adventuring together, etc.
    The actual names are usually the very last thing I chose, but don't get me wrong, there's some thinking involved in it too.

This thread here has some cool name ideas.

To quote myself from that thread:

As for the names, I usually try to pick something that fits either the class or the race of the character.
    For humans, I usually use a lot of Latin (both real latin and pig latin lol) or modify normal names to sound more fantasy-like. For Elves I go with nature-oriented names. Half-Elves would be somewhere in between those two. Half-Orcs have barbaric-sounding names, as if their names were grunts or unintelligible by humans. Dwarves tend to have iron/stone/battle related names, or something inspired by LOTR. Gnomes and Halflings I, uh... I only ever made ONE halfling character, and no gnomes at all.
    I also get inspiration from a lot of fantasy name generators online. I don't think I ever actually used a name from one, but I've modified them to suit my tastes.
    I do hope that helps.

Just as an idea, here's the current party I'm taking through IWD.

Karazum, a male half-orc Blackguard
    Asterion, a male minotaur Berserker
    Aleena Carrack, a female human Swashbuckler
    Inyakha, a female, half-orc Shaman
    Lyria Capella, a female half-elf Bard
    Shi'nil Onyxia, a female half-drow Cleric/Ranger

You will also notice I've been having some fun with EE-Keeper. :tongue:
    ThacoBellAerakarProont