Skip to content

BGEE weapon proficiencies - like BG1 or BG2 (more specific)?

I know that BGEE will use Grand Mastery progression more like BG1 than BG2, but will it use BG1 style proficiencies (e.g. where the "Small Sword" proficiency includes both daggers and short swords) or the more specific BG2-style proficiencies, where pretty much each weapon type requires it's own proficiency? I had assumed the latter, but could anyone confirm? Thanks!

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    It is the latter as it is the BG2 engine used... As for giving you the 100% confirmation... Nope. Non can do.

Why not wait two days...

LOL!
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It's indeed BG2-style proficiencies.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Shin said:

It's indeed BG2-style proficiencies.

@Shin - great, I'd actually prefer it more like BG2, forces you to think and make choices.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    @Shin - are you sure?
    (I'm new around these parts, I wouldn't know if you're one of the playtesters or something along those lines.)

although even if BGEE keeps BG2's proficiency system (which I personally despise), the tweakpack will quickly "fix" it :)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    BGEE uses the BG2 proficiency system.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    How can you despise the proficiency system? They are not all that different, just more spread out which makes sense with the higher levels available come BG2EE
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited November 2012
    @IchigoRXC: I've always found it way to limiting - for example, scimitars, katanas, and longswords are similar enough weapons to be grouped under the same category, so are maces and clubs. it kills variety, basically forcing you to use one kind of a weapon through the whole game... scimitars are awesome and all, but I'd have preferred if my FMT could swing something else around.

I'm not sure if I agree with grouping greatswords and longswords in the same category (IWD's system was better in this aspect), but still, I'd take variety any day.
    Post edited by DinsdalePiranha on
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I think each proficiency system made sense in their respective games. In the first game, you didn't have many proficiency points, so it made sense to have one proficiency apply to multiple weapons so you could still get some variety and versatility. In BG2 you got a lot more proficiency points to spread around, so the groups were split up so you wouldn't have characters who effective with every kind of weapon, guarenteeing you still had to spend a bit of time planning what weapons you wanted to use.

So yes, I would have preferred if they had used the BG1 system (as I think it made sense for the lower level gameplay of BG1), but I'm not all that bothered that they're not.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Tanthalas said:

*Kicks a trash can*
    *Throws rage fit*
    *Wrists*
    *et cetera*
    WWHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

They should've gone for a middle ground, a la Icewind Dale. Seriously. With the BGII system, a newbie will take a prof or two in a weapon thinking it's a great idea, then find out that there are no good weapons for it. Seriously. Big issue for the newbies.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Quartz said:

Tanthalas said:

*Kicks a trash can*
    *Throws rage fit*
    *Wrists*
    *et cetera*
    WWHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

They should've gone for a middle ground, a la Icewind Dale. Seriously. With the BGII system, a newbie will take a prof or two in a weapon thinking it's a great idea, then find out that there are no good weapons for it. Seriously. Big issue for the newbies.
    They're going to add new items for the proficiencies that were less useful, like clubs and spears.