Skip to content

Stuff at end of game, and organizing stored items

FalkeepFalkeep Member Posts: 41
edited June 2018 in Troubleshooting
When you finish a game (BGEE, SoD, etc.) why aren't you allowed to collect the stuff you have stored (like your chest in SoD)? I also wish that gem bags, scroll cases, etc. could be carried into new games, even if they start out each game empty.

Also, as I have some OCD, I wish that there could be an easy way to check and organize what you store? Even just making it so that when you add something to a storage place, or a Bag of Holding, etc. it would automatically group things with copies of the items that you already have there? But I wish that there was a feature where you can, basically, spread things out on the ground, combine them, and drag and drop them to control where they are in order in the storage unit. This could be done by something like double-clicking an open list and making a lot more rows visible at once rather than just the two rows you get. It's something that bothers me in most, if not all games... no one in the design process takes into account those of whose brains like things in neat order and easy to know what you have and access it.
Post edited by Falkeep on

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    If your playing BGEE + SoD as one game, you do get to keep the containers within your inventory (and the contents) at the end of BG. They should be in your inventory still at the start of SoD in the opening dungeon. In BG2, when you import a saved game from the previous BG+SoD, you may also get to keep a few choice items if they are in your inventory at the end of SoD, but very little and no containers. These special items are scattered about the game in BG2, with several possible in the opening dungeon itself.
  • FalkeepFalkeep Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2018
    I couldn't play it as one game bcause when my characters transitioned to SoD, not only was there, again, not a chance to collect what I had in storage, my character transferred without ANY of his items... whether worn or carried. Again, this happened every time I tried it. So, I exported my characters and started SoD as new game rather than as a continuation from BGEE. When I did this, it still started my main character off with nothing (while all of my other characters started with all of their items. I had to create a duplicate me as a 6th character so that I could get my items from him and, after using him to help carry stuff from the Tombs, I abandoned him when I picked up an NPC for my party.

BTW, when I tried to transition from BGEE to SoD, I even tried loading all of my other stuff on my other characters but when the transition was made, there were some items which were not transferred in what they carried... most notably, my Boots of Speed. In any case, since I started the game new, no bags or cases. They definitely would have made looting the Tombs much easier, hence using my extra me as a mule.

I know that there will be / are more containers available in whatever game is going on but, as with loosing all of you money when you start SoD, I want all of the containers I have bought and paid for, or acquired in the previous game. As I said, I don't care if the containers make the transition without anything that might be in them, I just want as many of the containers as I can find. It just seems to me, like with starting SoD with no money, to be an arbitrary condition which does nothing but harm the standing of good players who have worked and fought to get their equipment and money. I don't like arbitrary pointless rules or restrictions, especially in a game I also paid for.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2018
    @Falkeep To keep all your BG1 items, including containers, just continue from BG:EE, don't start a new SoD game (and don't import characters). The game will proceed to SoD automatically from the Final save (after you load it).
    edited June 2018
    Yes, that is what I did. I went straight from BGEE to SoD and when I did, my CHARNAME was completely unequipped... everything he wore and carried was gone. Every single slot on his character sheet was empty. That was why I created a duplicate of my character WITH all of his possessions and inserted him into the party when I started SoD directly. When I started with the duplicate, I then took everything from him to equip my CHARNAME. That was the only way I could figure out how to play the game equipped and, of course, doing it like that lost me my containers.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    This is unintended, and what you're seeing is a bug. Do you run any mods?
    Not that I know of. When I first installed the game, I tried to run some but they seemed to cause more problems, so I uninstalled the game and then reinstalled it to remove them.

This is unintended, and what you're seeing is a bug. Do you run any mods?

I submitted this as a bug. Is there anyway to find out the status of it?
    lolien
    Thanks for using our bug tracker!

You should get email notifications when there's progress on your bug report.
    lolien
    Thank you.
    JuliusBorisov
    The other part of this topic, that hasn't been addressed, is making it easier to organize and manage items you have stored (like in your chest in SoD, or in Bags of Holding) which take up more than the two rows provided when you open the containers up.
    Actually, if you can come up with a bit more detailed description of this request, you can also file at support.baldursgate.com, as that site is not only for IE bugs, but also for IE feature requests. :wink:
    lolienFalkeep