Skip to content

New character soundsets

Have just been listening to some of the new character soundsets (in C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00766\lang\en_US\sounds) I love the set for Female4, posh and stroppy, with a British accent :-)

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited November 2012
    ... and Female 6 sounds like a chav, especially sound Female6g "I'm not bothered", LOL!
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2012
    I totally miss the "let's make this quick and painful" (male002) voice.. it was the only male voice I could stand.
    Male5c (in Stephen Fry-style) "I grow torpid and require slumber" :-)
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    I like the new sounds, Mark Meer did a great job. I like the male4 soundset. @Shin What?! they have omitted some of the old sounds? But why? More choice the better.
    Shin said:

I totally miss the "let's make this quick and painful" (male002) voice.. it was the only male voice I could stand.

Can't you just copy it from BG1/BG2?

@Oxford_Guy I can indeed, and will.. but like @Scofield I had expected all previous soundsets to be in the game, don't know why some were cut.. or even if they really were cut, but at least this one's not there in what's currently available.
    @Oxford_Guy I guess you are right! I don't see why couldn't we just copy & paste them there.
    edited November 2012
    Scofield said:

I like the new sounds, Mark Meer did a great job. I like the male4 soundset. @Shin What?! they have omitted some of the old sounds? But why? More choice the better.

He does sounds keen! :-)

I'm British, though, so have a soft spot for these ones for CHARNAME
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    MALE002 WAS CUT???!!! But... but... whyyy? :(
    Er... I can't find the soundsets :/ I have different directories:
    ...Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766 and in here I only have "Data", "Manuals", "music", and "script" :S No other directories in there...
    Senash said:

Er... I can't find the soundsets :/ I have different directories:
    ...Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766 and in here I only have "Data", "Manuals", "music", and "script" :S No other directories in there...

No "lang" folder?
    edited November 2012
    @Senash Well then you probably haven't downloaded yet the last 500mb of the game via the game launcher.
    You should see a "Lang" folder besides the ones you mentioned...
    As Scofield says, fire up BGEE.exe or use the beamdog client.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've got a zip file with all of the BG2 soundsets, for those times when I really just want to say "To battle! And VICTORY!"

All renamed so that they can be imported easily.
    @Scofield and @Shin did that already of course, launcher updated itself, but nothing :S I'm scared guys! :'(
    @Senash That's kinda weird but hey, you can always delete and re-download the game again, that should solve your problem.

If you have all the files that you suppose to have then your ./Data folder should be 1.77GB with 928 files and 56 folders in it (checked in properties). And in here ...Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766, you sould have these: data, lang, Manuals, movies, music, scripts plus a decrypt.dll file.

So if you don't have these, and the launcher doesn't do anything for you, I would suggest a re-install.
    Ok got help in another topic. Had to click twice on Preload complete...
    Well, not so happy that they cut some of the old ones. Looks like I will have copy them from BG2 myself as well, like others. I do love male5 :) But I don't really think it fits any of my planned characters :(
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited November 2012
    Just curious--which sound sets were cut? (not the numbers, but the voices)

EDIT: Just for clarification, adding sound sets to the game is really simple. There should even be a text file in the Sounds folder that tells you how to do it.

EDIT2: Looking at BG1, all of the soundsets that were there are in BG:EE.

Or are people talking about the voices from BG2 (which would logically not be included in BG1 because it gives you something to look forward to when you play BG2)?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Shin

That one isn't in BGEE because its a BG2 soundset.
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    Just had a quick listen, sad to say I'm not too impressed with the news ones on first listen.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    As a british guy, female 6 is just cringeworthy.
    Reminds me of dick van dyke in mary poppins.

The rest are very good though.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    ajwz said:

yeah, im a deaf american but I can still hear htat ol "Hello guvnuh" and its just not right. >.>
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Female 4 will just not play for me. All of the others are fine, oddly enough :/
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    ajwz said:

Doesn't sound inauthentic to me. But, then, I'm not British myself. I've heard British actors doing very similar accents. One of the Doctor's companions sounded a lot like that, though I can't remember which one.
  • topymacijietopymacijie Member Posts: 30
    I can't get Females 4-6 and Males 4-6 to work, not sure why
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265

I can't get Females 4-6 and Males 4-6 to work, not sure why

I was also having trouble with that. Then I typed .wav files into google, and downloaded the first thing that came up (not a safe practice, I know). "Media Player Lite" That should let you view the files.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited November 2012
    @topymacijie

They've got higher standards than Females 1-3 and males 1-3. I'm sorry I had to say it.