Skip to content

Can a Monk disable traps or only find them?

2»

Comments

• BW022BW022 Member Posts: 5
    Oxford_Gay,

>That point doesn't make sense, as there is no separate "disarm traps" skill for thieves, its the same
    >as "find traps", so the thief wouldn't save any skill points here. Why scout with the monk if the thief can
    >do this better, unless the monk's "find traps" skill is somehow better than the thief's?

My mistake. The thief doesn't have to put any points in anything *except* find traps. He wouldn't need hide or move for example. Even if his find was less than the monk, you still might not want him scouting. The monk likely still have move hit points, saves, etc. and it likely a better choice in case you do set the trap off or end up ambushed. Maybe your thief is dual or multi-classes and just doesn't have good saves, hit points, high dex, is specialized in ranged, etc. If you have a thief/mage, its annoying having them scouting and then wasting time pulling them back every time combat starts. Wastes rounds moving rather than casting.

>Okay, so there are *some* reasons to like find traps w/o disarm (thanks for the ideas), though I think I'd
    >rather use a thief to deal with traps

Sure. However...

If you don't have a thief, knowing the trap is there is still better than not knowing. Nothing worst than having the entire party blasted just as combat starts. Even if you do have a thief, there are a lot of advantages in having a monk able to scout. He's probably the character which you won't up front anyway. Monks and rangers can be great getting behind enemies, disrupting casters, and keeping enemy bad guys from rushing toward your casters. Being able to find traps is a huge bonus over a ranger since lone folks ahead of the group triggering traps and easily get overwhelmed.

Finally, even if you have a stealthy thief and a monk... send both. This doubles your chance of finding traps and keeps your thief from being overwhelmed as often. Sending both into rear ranks is awesome as the monk sets up the thiefs backstabs.

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    BW022 said:

Oxford_Gay,

Yes I'm quite happy today, or did you mean something else? ;-p

>That point doesn't make sense, as there is no separate "disarm traps" skill for thieves, its the same
    >as "find traps", so the thief wouldn't save any skill points here. Why scout with the monk if the thief can
    >do this better, unless the monk's "find traps" skill is somehow better than the thief's?

My mistake. The thief doesn't have to put any points in anything *except* find traps. He wouldn't need hide or move for example. Even if his find was less than the monk, you still might not want him scouting. The monk likely still have move hit points, saves, etc. and it likely a better choice in case you do set the trap off or end up ambushed. Maybe your thief is dual or multi-classes and just doesn't have good saves, hit points, high dex, is specialized in ranged, etc. If you have a thief/mage, its annoying having them scouting and then wasting time pulling them back every time combat starts. Wastes rounds moving rather than casti

>Okay, so there are *some* reasons to like find traps w/o disarm (thanks for the ideas), though I think I'd
    >rather use a thief to deal with traps

Sure. However...

If you don't have a thief, knowing the trap is there is still better than not knowing. Nothing worst than having the entire party blasted just as combat starts. Even if you do have a thief, there are a lot of advantages in having a monk able to scout. He's probably the character which you won't up front anyway. Monks and rangers can be great getting behind enemies, disrupting casters, and keeping enemy bad guys from rushing toward your casters. Being able to find traps is a huge bonus over a ranger since lone folks ahead of the group triggering traps and easily get overwhelmed.

Finally, even if you have a stealthy thief and a monk... send both. This doubles your chance of finding traps and keeps your thief from being overwhelmed as often. Sending both into rear ranks is awesome as the monk sets up the thiefs backstabs.
    Sure, some good points there - I guess having Find Traps only is better than them not having Find Traps at all!
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

btw isn't trap disarming linked to the thief's open locks skill? because if I remember correctly, that's the case, so monks can easily go ahead, find the traps, then the thief could disable them.

No, it's linked to their "Find Traps" skill AFAIK
    gonna try it out tonight, I already have BG2 installed anyway, with a save near thieves guild (the trapped chests/doors and all), we'll see.
    @DinsdalePiranha - Don't bother unless you just want to do it. Disarming traps is solely linked to the "Find Traps" ability for thieves in the BG2 engine. A thief's ability to pick a lock has nothing to do with his ability to disarm traps.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    AHF said:

btw isn't trap disarming linked to the thief's open locks skill? because if I remember correctly, that's the case, so monks can easily go ahead, find the traps, then the thief could disable them.

No, it's linked to their "Find Traps" skill AFAIK
    gonna try it out tonight, I already have BG2 installed anyway, with a save near thieves guild (the trapped chests/doors and all), we'll see.
    @DinsdalePiranha - Don't bother unless you just want to do it. Disarming traps is solely linked to the "Find Traps" ability for thieves in the BG2 engine. A thief's ability to pick a lock has nothing to do with his ability to disarm traps.
    too late :) yeah, disarming is linked to find traps, open locks doesn't do jack.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

too late :) yeah, disarming is linked to find traps, open locks doesn't do jack.

Except...you know...opening locks.