Skip to content

Some mod in BWS is giving lots of NPCs mirrors

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
edited July 2018 in General Modding
I'm not sure what mod does this, but in my megamod install there's some component that gives many NPCs an item called DW#HASPT and puts it on their off-hand slot. It's a mirror that gives them the chance to reflect gaze attacks.

It's annoying because it's removing the off-hand weapon or shield of many NPCs, and it also gives them a physical mirror visual effect on them constantly which I find a bit off-putting. I can't figure out where this component comes from.

For those that use this tool, do you know where this could come from, or how I can find this out?

Comments

• Fulsom2121Fulsom2121 Member Posts: 25
    The DW# indicates that it might be stratagems (SCS). I don't know which component does this.
  • The DW# indicates that it might be stratagems (SCS). I don't know which component does this.

Well that sucks. SCS is essential for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    edited July 2018
    I have the suspicion that the "Potions for NPCs" component might be the culprit. I've no idea why it would mess with that, only thing I know is that this item appears in the BWS logs just as this component starts installing.

I'll try to install it again with only that component installed and see if that's definitely the culprit. I'll report when I know something.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    For me this sounds as if two mods do not work together.
    If SCS alone would do something like this I am sure there would be more bug reports?
    edited July 2018
    No, it's not SCS itself, though it does look like SCS is part of the issue. I made a EET installation with that component only and it worked fine.

I'm guessing there's no easy way to find where this problem comes from.
  • I narrowed it down to the quest mods. Some quest mod + SCS Potions for NPCs is doing this. Gromnir and Lea Gosh'Aar lost their off-hand weapons and were replaced by the mirror.

I narrowed it down to the quest mods. Some quest mod + SCS Potions for NPCs is doing this. Gromnir and Lea Gosh'Aar lost their off-hand weapons and were replaced by the mirror.

This makes sense, in a weird way.
    I looked up the item DW#NoPtn in my game and oops. it's a mirror. If that means that NoPtn mean "No Potion" for NPCs not supposed to drop any? It still doesn't explain why it's a mirror or why it's in the offhand slot - but maybe what someone else said is correct, it's more than one mod messing up things here.
    edited July 2018
    All right, I narrowed it down to six quest mods: Back to Brynnlaw, Deepgnomes on the Sword Coast, Dungeon Crawl, Eilistraee's Song, Fading Promises, Fishing for Trouble. I get the feeling Eilistraee's Song is the culprit here, but we'll see.

Hopefully I'll have an answer soon, for whomever might be interested.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    This is so funny. That bug makes so absolutely no sense. :)
    I'm very curious what happened there.

All right, I narrowed it down to six quest mods: Back to Brynnlaw, Deepgnomes on the Sword Coast, Dungeon Crawl, Eilistraee's Song, Fading Promises, Fishing for Trouble. I get the feeling Eilistraee's Song is the culprit here, but we'll see.

Hopefully I'll have an answer soon, for whomever might be interested.

I'm still interested.
    I confirm that it's SCS Component Potions for NPCs which puts one or other item in the shield slot. Those items are either DW#NoPtn or DW#HasPt. My guess is that one is for the creature to have No Potion and the other for to Has Potion. The thing that they are in shield slot and not removable is one bug.
    The other bug is that both items are mirrors. This may be caused by the mod when creating those items as a copy of an existing item in the game but that item was changed already by some other mod maybe?
    I've no idea where to find a clue of how it's done without reading the whole SCS code.
  • Found the culprit, Deepgnomes on the Sword Coast. I installed that only with SCS Potions, and the damned mirrors turned up.

Tomorrow I'll try a full installation without that mod. Hopefully that mod was the only culprit.
    I see that deepgnomes gives misc02.itm which is mirror the ability to reflect a gaze if it is used as shield in the slot. So that's where the effects are coming from.
    But how does a modified misc02 end up as dw#haspt in your shield slot? stratagems seems to use its own dw#potn08 which is a healing potion to create its own items.
    Something happens somewhere in between that changes items and allocations. There's still a missing piece in the chain of events IMHO.
    There's an explanation here from yesterday http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60024-some-mod-in-bws-is-giving-lots-of-npcs-mirrors/#entry603094
    I solved it in my game by cloning a simple gem with near infinity and calling it DW#Haspt. After I put it into override the problem was gone.
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, but that doesn't solve the problem of NPCs losing their off-hand weapons or shields, or having their weapon style proficiency changed because of the loss of their off-hand weapon.

For example Gromnir lost his two-weapon style points, and got proficiency points in sword and shield, because he has a "shield" now (the mirror). I think some component in SCS also determines the proficiencies of NPCs.

Unless you fix each one of the 4000+ npcs manually. But that's madness.