Skip to content

List of Aerie dialogues?

dbianco87dbianco87 Member Posts: 21
I'm working on a number of NPC mods and if I had a complete list of all dialogues for Aerie to use as a template that would be very helpful for me. I have extremely high standards for writing as I am a writer myself and this is my all time favorite game.

I don't want my mods to hit the same pitfalls as every moderately ambitious NPC mod I've ever played where in every scrap of dialogue/banter stands out like a sore thumb, the character dominates the narrative making the entire experience less personal/special, and generally are OP yet somehow offer nothing unique in terms of gameplay.

That's why I want to use Aerie as a template, I intend to challenge myself to make a few characters that fit seamlessly with the base game and have a few unique and useful capabilities that aren't terribly overpowered and accentuate existing content. Aerie has the absolute max amount of dialogue I can tolerate and would like to use her as both template and hard maximum.

I've already extracted the dialog files attached to her .cre miles using near infinity, but a lot seems to be missing, perhaps tied to area scripts or something? If anyone has a more complete list or the knowledge on how to make a more complete list that would be very helpful.

I'm generally pretty savvy with infinity engine stuff but usually stick more with item and spellmaking, though I have made npc mods before.

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2018
    Every joinable NPC has several dialogue files: An initial dialogue file (contains the initial meeting dialogues), a "joined" dialogue file, a "kicked out" dialogue file, and a "banter" dialogue file.

For Aerie:
    AERIE.DLG - Initial dialogue file
    AERIEJ.DLG - Joined dialogue file
    AERIEP.DLG - Kicked out dialogue file
    BAERIE.DLG - Banter dialogue file

BG2 also has an additional set of dialog files for Throne of Bhaal:
    AERIE25A.DLG - Initial dialogue file
    AERIE25J.DLG - Joined dialogue file
    AERIE25P.DLG - Kicked out dialogue file
    BAERIE25.DLG - Banter dialogue file

I'd also suggest checking out Kulyok's Branwen BG2 NPC mod. It functions as a tutorial for modders making an NPC mod.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=28623.0
  • dbianco87dbianco87 Member Posts: 21
    Wow, I've used the Branwen NPC mod before but had no idea it contained built in tutorials. That is fantastic resource which will save me a lot of time.

I'd also forgotten that the Throne of Bhaal dialogues were sectioned out in that way, though it makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

Thanks a lot, that was very quick and very helpful.