Skip to content

Does anyone have the 2.5D tile set for the Baldur's Gate areas?

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
I remember back in the day that there were assets floating around the internet with Baldur's Gate 2.5D tilesets like the trees and stones in the wilderness areas of the Original Baldur's Gate.

I am just wondering if anyone has preserved these baldur's Gate assets for future use or are they lost forever?

I am trying to make 5 new wilderness areas in the Wood of Sharp Teeth and I could use those 2.5D trees and stones to make the maps look like new Baldur's gate areas instead of wonky franken-areas.

I have been collecting 3D assets like stones and cliffs to make into brand new 2.5 area assets but I want to give the areas that Baldur's Gate feeling.

I want the new forested areas to be as seamless as possible. Unlike some of the Enhanced Edition areas which are commendable in quality but are clearly the result of a different graphical creation method than the original wilderness areas.

I know that some of better community talent in area creation like @Cuv and @Rabain are retired although I wonder if there is enough interest and moreover life in the community now to crank out some more high quality content or if the modding scene here is just kind of dead and I am like a decade out of wack for getting and help in making new areas :S. Eh who knows?

Comments

• GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    Have a look here.

Google translate French into English. ;)
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958

Have a look here.

Google translate French into English. ;)

Thank you very much, I have downloaded everything that I could. Say the Stone of Askavar has a forested area with Baldur's Gate 1 trees copy and pasted from a tileset. Do you by chance know where the Original Baldur's Gate tree tiles are?
    What kind of graphic software do you use?

I may have kept a few tree templates on various HDs.
    @Gwendolyne I use Paint.net (modded, it is like free version of photoshop), Paint, Unity 3D, Blender, Google Sketchup (what ever 3D program that works for texture 'pop' and shadows and 3D baking objects), LunaPic for a bunch of minor touch ups like colour tint and saturation etc etc. I find a way to get it done; I am creative. If you have any templates I would love to make good use of them and make some beautiful areas worth playing.
    OK. I will dig up my old files when back home tonight. ;)
    I found my templates, at last. ;)
  • hackinslashhackinslash Member Posts: 46
    I wouldn't mind creating an area in Photoshop. If using Pixels as a measurement, what size are the majority of maps throughout the series? Been trying to export them but they see rather small....
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

I wouldn't mind creating an area in Photoshop. If using Pixels as a measurement, what size are the majority of maps throughout the series? Been trying to export them but they see rather small....

Typically characters are ~25 pixels large and 55 pixels high, while big maps are ~3000*4000. North West Baldur's Gate, for example is 52*67 tiles, i.e. 4288*3328 pixels . Due to the tile system (64*64 squares) that is used for the maps, map dimensions should always a multiple of 64.
    You've probably been trying to export .mos files, which are the minimap images, and these are small. What you want to export is the .tis file.
  • hackinslashhackinslash Member Posts: 46
    Thanks. I'll [play around with exporting again soon. The sizes you have given will help me get going and see what I can do.
    You can't use maps larger than 80 x 60 tiles. And if you want to preserve compatibility with classic games, don't exceed 79 x 59. Don't ask me why, but this is a very old bug (and I am pretty sure, never solved): sometimes, 80 x 60 maps cause CTD.
    @Gwendolyne Thank you so much! This was driving me crazy! I did not notice in time I suppose. Now I can really go to town (well the wilderness but you get my drift :-P).
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    First time I tried creating a new area, it wasn't 64*64 and was nearly impossible to do the walk map... Lesson learnt. Good luck with your wilderness areas, looking forward to see your results :)
    @fluke13 I have already done a wilderness area (the area north of Nashkel) due to not figuring out how to patch a tile on existing ma so I made a copy of the whole original area and redid the walk map from scratch x.x. Least to say it took a while lol.