Skip to content

A Good Aligned Half-Orc 'Paladin'

SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
Like most on the forum, this won't be my first time playing Baldur's Gate, so I thought I'd make it a little more interesting by trying to create a really in depth character to roleplay through the saga.

So I've never been a half-orc before so I'm pretty much decided that's the race I'm going to play as, looking through the available classes for the race fighter/cleric took my fancy, mainly because I've never played as a cleric before but I'd still like to keep the stereotypical tough half-orc fighter thing going on.

So partly inspired by Dorn/Anomen/Mazzy, I thought the fighter/cleric makes a nice paladin parallel, but I thought it would be interesting (and perhaps logical) that being raised by Gorion in Candlekeep, the character would have certain morals instilled in him. So yeah he's kinda the anti-Dorm.

I quickly sketched out a bio for my character who has no name as of yet and is currently a he, but that could change, so here goes...

Gorion's ward was raised in Candlekeep, a library fortress on the Sword Coast, after the ward was found as a baby by the sage. All Gorion's ward knew about his past was that Gorion was his foster father due to the death of his half-orc parents. Gorion's ward had always been bigger and stronger than the other children of Candlekeep but under the tutelage of Gorion he never let himself become a bully but instead used his physical prowess to protect those weaker than him. Nevertheless, the ward's orc heritage often led to himself feeling as an outsider among the fortress, and while he could defend himself physically, in private he struggled to come to grips with his differences to the other children. This led him to seek guidance from the many knowledgeable scholars of Candlekeep, among them the priests of Oghma and occasionally Tethtoril, the first reader. These wise men aided the ward in his search to find more about his people. The ward's studies of the tomes of Candlekeep led him to the belief that often those who are monstrous are not necessarily evil and that sometimes even those who are evil became that way because of circumstances and misfortune. This inspired the ward to conceive that it is his destiny to take up these misunderstood creatures as his cause, standing up for the monstrous creatures and, when possible, leading them to the light. Inspired by the knights and paladins who would occasionally visit the fortress, the ward modelled himself after them using his natural strength to develop a formidable fighting style, with the aid of Hull and Fuller of the keep guard. Additionally to his growth as a warrior, the priests of Oghma who had told him so many stories, also assisted the ward in developing his spiritual side as both protector and healer.

So yeah I'm not that knowledgeable about the lore of D&D so has this kinda thing been done much before? Any comments in general? Any ideas to make the character that much more interesting?

And finally my apologies for my arrogance in thinking that my inner ramblings would interest any of you...
Post edited by LadyRhian on

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Looks good to me. It's something new as far as I know.

What variant of good are you aiming for? I assume Lawful?
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for reading, looking back that was quite a wall of text.

Good question as well, I will probably go with Lawful yes but alignment is one of the facets of the character I'm still thinking on. Definitely good obviously, there are parts of all the good alignments which seem to fit the character but overall Lawful does probably describe him best, especially with the whole paladin wannabe shtick.

I guess the only slight flaw with lawful, is that the character wants to bring redemption to 'monsters' and that might not always fit in with the law.
  • siliconpsychosissiliconpsychosis Member Posts: 32
    Great idea. :)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Aye, good concept there.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I like it :) I'm going Half-Orc Cleric for the first time tomorrow.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited November 2012
    I dig it! It's a shame Overhaul didn't remove at least some of the sillier race restrictions, but you've managed to sidestep the restriction in a way that would make even Mazzy proud.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I like it a lot. For what it's worth, I will definitely add it to the 'roleplaying concepts' subsection for 'PC concepts' that I'm assembling for BG: the Wide.
    edited November 2012
    Oh, and does this character have a name yet? When you eventually roll up your stats could you please post them? If you have a particular portrait and can identify a soundset you like for him that'd be great too. Thanks
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I've always loved the half-orc paladin concept... I think you'll really enjoy playing this!
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2012
    I remember this dialog between Mazzy and Aerie:

Aerie: Mazzy? Do you think you’ll ever become a true Paladin for Arvoreen?
    Mazzy: I am a true sword for my God, Aerie. That is as close as I can expect to come. To hope for otherwise would be foolish and naive of me.
    Aerie: Yes, but I was told of a time when halflings were rogues only ... that you would never find one that was a cleric or even a warrior such as yourself anywhere.
    Mazzy: That’s true, if unfortunate. But that was a long time ago, Aerie ... things have changed since then.
    Aerie: But maybe things could change again? Maybe your people could become paladins and rangers and even mages one day, without limitation. Wouldn’t that be exciting?
    Mazzy: Yes, yes, and maybe my people will become skinny, wear shoes, and have big, long skulls. Really, Aerie, you needn’t keep your head in the clouds ALL the time.
    Aerie: Well, it was just a thought.
    Mazzy: And it wasn’t a bad one. But it’s not likely that the gods are going to revamp the halflings and come out with a ‘third edition’, as it were, now is it?
    Aerie: Oh, you never know. The gods do strange things, sometimes.

I guess I am just a racist bastard but I like the restrictions. A dwarf or a halfling shouldn't be paladin. (Is it pc too call them so? I believe the correct term would be "little person" or "person of short stature" BAAAD D&D!!!)
    edited November 2012
    I'm honoured guys, thanks for all the positive feedback, especially that last bit @Lemernis. Very happy for you to use this in your concepts and I'll add his stats when I roll him, but unfortunately 'the half-orc paladin' does not have a name as of yet? Trying to find the middle ground between standard half-orcy 'names' like Grunt or whatever and something more interesting. Think I need to do a little research into names. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Also would anyone recommend a deity for him? As I say I'm pretty inexperienced in D&D and the forgotten realms bar the Baldur's Gate saga. From what I've looked at I'm considering Lathander (mainly because you can be a priest of it in the game), Oghma since that's what he would have grown up with in Candlekeep or this goddess named Sarenrae, that was until I realised I'm a noober and she doesn't even seem to be a forgotten realms god but from some other fantasy universe, a pitty because she seemed well suited. (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Sarenrae)

But yeah from those who know, what would the appropriate deity for 'the half-orc paladin' to be a follower of?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I definitely like the idea, as the fit isn't quite 100% perfect (in a good way). Misfits always make for better stories. What I don't see is how the 'redemption for monsters' thing will work, as all monsters start hostile, even if you're evil and would prefer to work with them. In other words, there is no written path for that.

Seems like a half-orc fighter/cleric would be a beast!
    edited November 2012
    You make a good point @reedmilfam in game it won't quite work out in most scenarios, trying to think of any enemies in the series you can 'turn' like this but it's been a while so can't think of anything off the top of my head.

If I get a chance I may try and record a voice pack for the character, so a battlecry of something like "This is your last chance at redemption!!!" (But probably a little better worded :P ) would be a nice way of recognising the issue.

And even then thanks to @decado I can always just redeem them with my Hammer of Justice and let the gods judge them!
    Post edited by SwordsNotWords on
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Props to you! I have to admit it, had I thought of a cool concept like that, I wouldn't have been able to avoid the temptation to shadowkeep it to a paladin, especially with Dorn using a paladin kit. Nice symmetry there. In fact, I probably will just steal your idea wholesale, shamelessly :). Thanks!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    It is a cool idea - I like (like I said) misfits, as they are more interesting. This will make a very powerful character (I'd thought of ½-Orc F/C as one of my ideas for what I'd like to play) and you'll be able to RP that to some extent. You'll be a little confined by the program and story, but it should still work out well for you.

He'd probably be a strong 'monster's rights' advocate, too. :D
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    DIE ORC DIE!!!!!!
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    I have a neutral good half-orc swashbuckler who dual wields scimitars - pretty epic dude with 19 STR 18 DEX 19 CON, imagine that guy with tomes!
    I never realised Thieves could use scimitars (thought they were limited to daggers, katanas, long and short swords) and man am I jealous, a Paladin type just isn't quite the same without a sword is he?

Oh well fingers crossed Crom Faeyr and the Flail of the Ages will help me sleep at night.

I never realised Thieves could use scimitars (thought they were limited to daggers, katanas, long and short swords) and man am I jealous, a Paladin type just isn't quite the same without a sword is he?

Oh well fingers crossed Crom Faeyr and the Flail of the Ages will help me sleep at night.

It's a fix. In original versions they can't.
    @SwordsNotWords ohhh I love names! What do you think of these:

=Male=
    Arok
    Achtar
    Aegon
    Banteeg
    Broak
    Gavan
    Granas
    Gris
    Kraylor
    Magnas
    Zaon
    Zarin

=Female=
    Aela
    Ananya
    Chukova
    Gemma
    Gwyn
    Ishita
    Katija
    Marika
    Opara
    Raiza
    Roca
    Seika
    Siba
    Skaya
    Tazara
  • CyricistCyricist Member Posts: 61
    This reminds me quite a bit of the book "War in Tethyr". Great Forgotten Realms book, following an adventuring party with a few interesting members. Spoilers for this book below:

One of them was an Orog Paladin of Torm, named "Shield of Innocence". Shield was a total badass. People hated him and mistrusted him, but he was a loyal, honorable servant of Torm, and winds up giving his life to revive another member of the group, after beseeching Torm to "return this valiant man's soul to his body" or something. He effectively trades his own life for a friend's.

He was a cool character. The guy he revived was awesome too. A Ranger named Vander Stillhawk, who had his tongue cut out when he was a child. He "dies" in this book, which is what causes Shield to sacrifice himself, but before Vander goes down, he's being shot with tons of arrows from a huge amount of archers. He uses a bow himself, but he ran out of arrows, so he begins pulling the bolts out of his own body and shooting them at his enemies. Total badass.
    I just remembered your pally is a male, derp :P

Hope the rest are helpful to others n_n

I have a neutral good half-orc swashbuckler who dual wields scimitars - pretty epic dude with 19 STR 18 DEX 19 CON, imagine that guy with tomes!

This sounds great, especially with a cool portrait.
    I had an ettercap mage in nwn once... wasn't a good idea.

I just remembered your pally is a male, derp :P

Hope the rest are helpful to others n_n

Just how I intended to play, if I hear any spoilers before I play there's a possibility I might switch the gender to female if Dorn is only romanceable by women and there's a chance of changing his alignment in the narrative SPOILER!!!!!such is possible with Viconia!!!!!!!SPOILER and therefore brining him the redemption that the so far nameless half-orc paladin craves.

In other news... BAGSY DORN IS GAY! (well bi)

• EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    I like the pseudo fanfic of your character concept a great deal! Bravo! (TOTALLY mean it too).
    Cheers @EnialusMeliamne

On the namefront the front runner is currently Servaas from the Dutch form of the Late Latin name Servatius, derived from servatus "saved, redeemed". This was the name of a 4th-century saint who helped spread Christianity to the Low Countries.

I like names with meaning behind them and this fits the bill quite well as far as meaning goes, plus I think it sounds a bit Orc like with double a, could be wrong in terms of fantasy tradition, just how it feels to me.

From @MedullaOblongata 's list I like Arok, Achtar, Banteeg and Kraylor best.
    Ohhh, I like Servaas too! It sounds like a good, catch-all name... could fit a fighter-type and mage-type too!
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    I like the names Lorne, Derek, Cormac, Drost, Kurgan, Odran, Kurst, and Osgar for Half-Orcs.