Skip to content

A Good Aligned Half-Orc 'Paladin'

13»

Comments

• UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    ankheg said:

I remember this dialog between Mazzy and Aerie:

Aerie: Mazzy? Do you think you’ll ever become a true Paladin for Arvoreen?
    Mazzy: I am a true sword for my God, Aerie. That is as close as I can expect to come. To hope for otherwise would be foolish and naive of me.
    Aerie: Yes, but I was told of a time when halflings were rogues only ... that you would never find one that was a cleric or even a warrior such as yourself anywhere.
    Mazzy: That’s true, if unfortunate. But that was a long time ago, Aerie ... things have changed since then.
    Aerie: But maybe things could change again? Maybe your people could become paladins and rangers and even mages one day, without limitation. Wouldn’t that be exciting?
    Mazzy: Yes, yes, and maybe my people will become skinny, wear shoes, and have big, long skulls. Really, Aerie, you needn’t keep your head in the clouds ALL the time.
    Aerie: Well, it was just a thought.
    Mazzy: And it wasn’t a bad one. But it’s not likely that the gods are going to revamp the halflings and come out with a ‘third edition’, as it were, now is it?
    Aerie: Oh, you never know. The gods do strange things, sometimes.

I guess I am just a racist bastard but I like the restrictions. A dwarf or a halfling shouldn't be paladin. (Is it pc too call them so? I believe the correct term would be "little person" or "person of short stature" BAAAD D&D!!!)

I remember reading that as well. The idea is good in concept, but ends up cheapening certain unique characters IMO. For instance Drizzt feels a little cheapened when anyone can play a good aligned drow Ranger or even a good aligned Drow in general. It's part of what made him unique and what makes some of the BG characters unique. They play outside of the rules of D&D. It's one of the things I didn't like about Neverwinter Nights. There really wasn't anything that could be done to make NPC characters unique. What made Mazzy special was that she was one of a kind.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Oh well, Deekin was one of a kind as well and maybe because this he was always my henchman, regardless what class I played. But ye, you're right.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012

I'm Famous!

Lol.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    Just an update for you guys:

My Laptop broke so I lost the HOP, although I thought I'd backed him up, so I rerolled him with some more paladiny stats

Strength 19
    Dexterity 7
    Constitution 19
    Intelligence 9
    Wisdom 18
    Charisma 17