Skip to content

Xzar vs. Edwin for my evil party?

13»

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @DinsdalePiranha

While true, the problem is that he doesn't fit nicely into the evil box (quite the opposite in fact) like the rest.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Easiest solution is to just drop xzar/monty altogether and pick up Safana instead.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    I would love to see a "BOTH!" Option.

Monty
    Xzar (Dualed to a Cleric at LvL 6)
    Edwin
    Viconia
    Dorn

Then get Monty killed before he can plot to kill you...and replace him with Sharteel, whom you dual to a Theif at level 6!!!!
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    Monty and dualled Shar-Teel are basically the same premise, except Monty is a way cooler guy.
    but why would you dual at lvl 6? it's pretty much the worst level to do it. make the change at lvl 3 instead, so you can get grandmastery at thief 8, along with awesome backstabbing and thieving.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Debaser said:

Then get Monty killed before he can plot to kill you...and replace him with Sharteel, whom you dual to a Theif at level 6!!!!

I hope you die in a fire. ;)

Monty and dualled Shar-Teel are basically the same premise, except Monty is a way cooler guy.

You can live.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    Lemernis said:

What happens if you take a stroll with one member of a NPC pair (i.e., way from the rest of the party) and just cast Petrification on him or her? Does the other member leave? Or is it out of sight, out of mind. Oops, never mind, forgot petrification comes only from Chromatic Orb at a relatively high level.

Win for bards/avengers? (not great as an offensive spell though against enemies who you want loot out of). Does the trick on terrible NPC's I suppose :)

edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

Debaser said:

I hope you die in a fire. ;)

You can live.
    well thank you kind sir :D

Monty and Xzar are actually my favorite pair in... well, any videogame ever, no one has managed to make a pair of NPCs (or even a single guy) so goddamn entertaining... actually, no one has even got close, it's almost disheartening - for some goddamn reason, every time a video game writer tries to think of a batshit insane/evil character, they either come up a moron (khmm, Jack from ME2) or someone utterly boring (ah, Bishop! I finally remember, that's the halfwit's name from NWN2!)

(and hats off to Jack Cayless - okay, it's "just" a webcomic, but Miss Chelsea Grinn is not only a full blown indestructible psychopath, casually chugging horses at people, but also entertaining as hell. also, things surrounding the link are very nsfw.)
    elminster said:

Lemernis said:

What happens if you take a stroll with one member of a NPC pair (i.e., way from the rest of the party) and just cast Petrification on him or her? Does the other member leave? Or is it out of sight, out of mind. Oops, never mind, forgot petrification comes only from Chromatic Orb at a relatively high level.

Win for bards/avengers? (not great as an offensive spell though against enemies who you want loot out of). Does the trick on terrible NPC's I suppose :)

Hell yeah, my first Multiplayer runthrough will be with my sister; she's gonna be a Blade and I'mma be an Avenger. I realized today "oh shit, our Level 10 Chromatic Orbs will be badass."
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    edited November 2012
    @Quartz @DinsdalePiranha FINE KEEP MONTY ALIVE.....he'll just plot to kill you while you send him on suicide missions. =P Or...you could let him die for Safana....=P Dual her to a Mage...give Vicky all the tombs of Wisdom and play a fighter mage yourself...giving you four wizards, two fighter types...two clerics and a theif....
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    Drop Viconia, dual Xzar with the tome and take both!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Debaser said:

@Quartz @DinsdalePiranha FINE KEEP MONTY ALIVE.....he'll just plot to kill you while you send him on suicide missions. =P Or...you could let him die for Safana....=P Dual her to a Mage...give Vicky all the tombs of Wisdom and play a fighter mage yourself...giving you four wizards, two fighter types...two clerics and a theif....

Only if I play a thief/mage, or is that what you meant? I want to play a fighter/mage, though.

I'm tempted to dual Saffy, but will probably want the Int tome for myself, as will probably only have 16 or 17 Int myself due to self-imposed restrictions against excessive re-rolling. There's Imoen as an alternative, of course, who won't leave the party even if my reputation stinks (which it probably will, as CHARNAME intends to be rather a bad girl...), but she won't be happy and will complain, also I've played BG with her in my party too often and want someone different.

BTW those suggesting both Edwin and Xzar, as well as my fighter/mage CHARNAME - are there enough decent scrolls around for 3 mages to learn spells from?

BTW one of the reasons I'm trying to decide about Xzar or Edwin now is that I'll need to decide quite early on whether to take Xzar along for the whole game or not, as don't want to waste scrolls on him unnecessarily.

BTW what decent illusion spells would Xzar miss out on?

I could dual Xzar to a cleric or thief, but it could be a long time to wait until he gets decent thief or cleric levels and there isn't elbow room in the party to have alternative cleric or thief cover to enable me to do that, unless I don't pick up Edwin until pretty late.
    Xzar you would miss out on mostly protective spells like Mirror Image and Blur. Invisibility, Improved Invisibility.
    Quartz said:

Xzar you would miss out on mostly protective spells like Mirror Image and Blur. Invisibility, Improved Invisibility.

Eek! Now I'm understanding why they gave him reasonably high Dex...
    edited November 2012
    @Oxford_Guy: there indeed are enough scrolls to easily juggle 3 mages.

Xzar's main problem is his lack of mirror image - he's frail as a newborn kitten thanks to that, though BGEE will fix that somewhat with the addition of stoneskin... and missing mirror image still beats not having any enchantment spells. (khmm, Dynaheir)

edit: also, he's a very nice candidate for Claw of Kazgaroth.

@Oxford_Guy: there indeed are enough scrolls to easily juggle 3 mages.

Xzar's main problem is his lack of mirror image - he's frail as a newborn kitten thanks to that, though BGEE will fix that somewhat with the addition of stoneskin... and missing mirror image still beats not having any enchantment spells. (khmm, Dynaheir)

edit: also, he's a very nice candidate for Claw of Kazgaroth.

Thanks. BTW I hadn't thought of that last point, interesting...
    BTW do you think Saffy will come with daggers and crossbows as starting proficiencies, like in BGT/Tutu? I quite like the idea of her with the Dagger of Venom and Light Crossbow of Speed...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

Lemernis said:

Oops, never mind, forgot petrification comes only from Chromatic Orb at a relatively high level.

what about Flesh to Stone scroll?
    I think there is just one cursed scroll that does this, no? I forget where it is, though. Anyway, it'd be deliciously evil to use it this way.

And I'm wrong about Chromatic Orb causing petrification, btw. It's just paralysis.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

Lemernis said:

Oy, I'm wrong that it's petrification, which I misremembered for the 7th level caster effect. It's paralysis for two turns.

Actually, let me re-ask this, as it's possible to do:
    Lemernis said:

What happens if you take a stroll with one member of a NPC pair (i.e., way from the rest of the party) and just cast Petrification have the character open a cursed scroll of petrification? Does the other member of the pair leave the party? Or is it out of sight, out of mind.

For example Khalid might make a good statue in the garden with a fountain in south Beregost. The PC's gift to the community.

I forget where the cursed scroll of petrification is. But this is something I would probably cheat in via it's code just for the fun value.
    Oh look, Neera is Chaotic Neutral: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7330/neeras-stats/p2

Well that's another option then, for an evil party, LOL!

But I'll probably stick with Edwin or Xan...