Skip to content

not enough disc space error - Baldur´s Gate/SoD EE

RaginrRaginr Member Posts: 11
Hello again

As one can read in my last post, I recently bought BG 1+2, Icewind Dale and Planescape as Enhanced Editions on Steam.
While Icewind Dale worked absolutely as intended, BG 1 did make some problems, thankfully solved by this forum for me.

Now I have the next problem with SoD: I get the very well known "not enough free disc space" bug when I quick save or an autosave is made. Unfortunately, the usual workaround (install the game on a different location which less free space) does not work with a steam version, because I see no way to change the installation directory for one game only on steam.
I am also quite reluctant to use some (for me) obscure third party software to make my game run.

So far I checked the game cache and re-installed the game twice. I also looked in the steam-forum and here, but all I find is either outdated or uses third party software or both.
Thanks in advance, Ragnir

p.S.:
Also in this post (but kind of out of topic) when I tried to log in, i got the message "user with this email does not exist". So I thought my account got deleted and created a new one, same email. After verification my new password was not accepted when I tried logging in, but my old one, so here I am with my OLD account, that was apparently not there any more?!

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Raginr Try to make sure the game is fully uninstalled (including the override folders) and then installed again.

If it doesn't help you, please report at support.baldursgate.com for investigation.
  • RaginrRaginr Member Posts: 11
    All right, it worked. Thanks for your answer here and in the steam forum @JuliusBorisov.

It seems rather strange that neither steam nor the windows app manager deletes any of the files on your harddrive and you have to remove them all yourself.

Anyway, Kudos to the support in this forum. Two problems with the game, both quickly and easily solved. That is what I call customer/community service.
    Yours, Ragnir
    Unfortunately, the problem is NOT such easily solved.

I uninstalled, reinstalled and made some quick-saves and normal saves to test.
    Everything went nice.
    Then I reinstalled modmerge and CDtweaks to continue playing with my modded group (like a priest of Tyr/figther dwarv) and restarted the game.
    Strangely enough, now starting the game will lead to the warning "Bladurs gate.exe want´s to make changes on your computer, do you agree?" (I am translating here, English is not my natural language).
    Also, the not enough disk space error appears again and I can not find my test-save games any more (they are not in the documents folder)!
    I will uninstall again and tell you what I find out. But it will take some time to test. (Iplan to Install just one component from CDtweak to see if it works with the mod at all and the reinstall the parts one by one=.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    So the problem doesn't happen on a clean install, is this correct? Make sure you install the ModMerge and mods correctly.

Also, make sure that neither an Antivirus program nor Windows are not preventing saving and other changes to your Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder. See https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/946094/#Comment_946094 and https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/957092/#Comment_957092
    Thanks again for your input @JuliusBorisov .
    Apparently i am able to save with a clean install, but the saves are in C:/user/common/Mydocuments and not in c:/user/Ragnir/Mydocuments as they should.
    As far as I remember, there was a steam-update directly before this problem first occurred, no other changes from my side. I will check my virus protection and firewall and keep you updated
    If you're able to save with a clean install, then it must be mods /or their installation.
    I do not think so, because it worked before WITH the mods and there was no change before the problem occurred first time.
    I strongly believe it is related to the save-game-location switch.
    Re-install takes some time, i put out windows security and my firewall.

Okay, re-install is done, save works, but savegames are still not in c:/users/Ragnir/mydocuments.
    Also Windows is warning me, that BG.exe is making changes on my computer, something that only happens after the problem started. With a clean install.

I made the exception to BG.exe in Windows controlled folder access, but it did not help with the savegame location. Will try to install modmerge now, I do not have much hope.
    Ok, if it doesn't help, then it's time to report this issue at support.baldursgate.com (so that you could hear from our QA).
    well, no matter what i do, Baldurs Gate itself does not install correctly any more.
    This is NOT about the mods, it is the clean installation.
    Every single time I re-install and start the game, i get a warning message from Windows - something I do not get from Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate 2 or Planescape Torment.
    Only Baldurs Gate 1 does NOT save at Users/Ragnir/mydocuments, but at Users/common/mydocuments, an Issue, that of course can have some influences on the installation of mods.

Also every single time i install the game anew and verify the cache, steam fails to validate all the files.
    Modmerge wont run at all, so of course Cdtweaks does not run either.
    I have no clue whatsoever any more.
    Modmerge worked smoothly two times - the first time and with the first re-install. Now it simply does nothing at all.
    This means: Now i can save (but in a folder where i do not want to save) but i have to restart the game, because sooner or later the modded chars will become a problem.
    finally - i managed to get it done.
    I wanted to give it all a last try before opening a ticket.
    The one and only thing i changed compared to the 5 tries before - i restarted my computer. Simple as that.
    BG.exe gives me still a warning message, but that is related to the controlled folder access, so everything working as intended.
    I copied my old saves and they work - so far.

Thanks again for the support, in the end it worked out.

Damn, I really must feel the need to play this game, usually i do not make such a fuss but delete the game and forget about it. Well - one week of free time left! Lets get back to dragon spear! Tomorrow :wink: !
    I'm glad to hear that! Enjoy your time.
    here is another update (yes, unfortunately), because the problem resurfaced after a reboot.
    I gave up and started a different game - The Settlers IV from GoG - only to see that I did not have access to my profile + savegames anymore. Seemingly, the same problem as with Baldurs gate?

I then did the following (very easy) steps:
    1. open the windows security center
    2. open the ransomware protection
    3. deactivate it completely

viola, Settlers and Baldurs gate work without problems!

I know, you could consider this risky, but it seemingly does not suffice to define an exception.
    With hopefully the final greeting in this topic,
    Yours, Ragnir