Skip to content

Can Str be a viable dump stat for a non min/maxing Fighter/Mage?

2»

Comments

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    To answer the original question:

If you're not maxing it, you don't really need it beyond 10 (or whatever the minimum value is for the weapon type you're planning to use.) The level 2 spell "Strength" takes care of all your strength needs til you pick up gear that modifies your strength value to a set number.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I was thinking about this as well. I'm planning to roll an Elf F/M for the Black Pits, and I don't want to roll for eternity - so my choice goes to Strength spell. It had a huge duration in BG1, and even in the BG2 engine it's still long-lasting.

My current Bard with a natural 12 STR put it on when necessary and was more than viable. Of course, if you want to use the heaviest armours, you should go up to 15 (thanks for pointing that out, by the way, I'd forgotten about it).
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419

you can decrease STR, but... it's not recommended. even with a str of 3, you can use a second level wizard spell, called (surprisingly) Strength, and up it to 18/50... however! with 18 str, you could get the strength tome, and up to 19 instantly. also, with 18/50+ str, the strength spell ups you into 18/00.

but I don't think you should worry about dump stats - fighter/mages roll high. even with 18s in str, dex, con, int, you can easily have average cha and wis.

Do you mean because the minimum stats for an elf fighter/mage are quite high (Str 9/Dex 7/Con 6/Int 9/ Wis 3/ Cha 8), so you get a boost to your rolls?

exactly.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited November 2012
    Mungri said:

Mungri said:

Also if you polymorph to a spider your strength gets locked to 16, but with 5 attacks per round and poison. Carry a wand of paralysis too and you can shred through any caster or armored fighter in seconds.

Interesting! Do you still get extra attacks if Belm or Kundane is in your off-hand before Polymorphing? I assume you can't cast spells whilst polymorphed, though?
    No, but you can use wands, and you get 5 attacks per round or 100% magic immunity.
    @Mungri - could you clarify, do you still get extra attacks if Belm or Kundane is in your off-hand before Polymorphing, or are atacks locked to 5 attacks when polymorphed? What if you cast haste or improved haste on self before polymorphing, do you get extra attacks? Also if you have the BG2 Katana of extra spells (can't remember the exact name) in your hand before polymorphing and those extra spells memorised, do you still have those extra spells memorised after going back to normal form after polymorphing?

Do you still use your fighter THAC0 when polymorphed?
    Mungri said:

BG1 sword spider rapeage (after the first couple of fights):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIRT3lPYYAo

LOL!
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Nope. All polymorphed forms are permanently hasted which is what makes them so good. You keep your fighter thaco though and add any extra fighter attacks per round, but even without fighter levels you still get 5 attacks per round with the spider. If you can't hit something, or it hits you too hard, spit a wand of paralysis at it and all your attacks hit.