Skip to content

An important question that has been keeping me awake nights . . .

Aerie's baby: does it have wings?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I too, have pondered this question over the years. Considering the child would be half-avariel, I figured they would either have vestigal wings that don't work; or somewhat functioning wings, but they can't fly because the child would lack the avariel's hollow bones and would be too heavy.
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2018
    Alternative suggestion ;) :

The question is now though: does the wing grow on his left, or right side?
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Yes, if your main is an elf. Otherwise no.

By the way, reading up on the D&D lore for avariel, I had no idea their culture is so radically opposed to humans.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    borntodie said:

By the way, reading up on the D&D lore for avariel, I had no idea their culture is so radically opposed to humans.

It's a shame that it is only with elves that Aerie could have a winged baby because she will romance gnomes and I find something very appealing about the thought of a flying gnome.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    borntodie said:

Not neccesarily. All Avariel are elves, yes, but not all elves are avariel. Depending on whether the wings trait is dominant or not, any racial coupling could produce wings. But Avariel phydsiology is built entirely around being light enough to fly (hollow bones, etc.). So while offspring of any race/Avariel paring could potentially have wings in some form; only pureblood avariel would be able to use them to fly without magical assistance. Of course, considering that your mother is a very powerful cleric/mage, "magical assitance" shouldn't be a problem.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    ThacoBell said:

Not neccesarily. All Avariel are elves, yes, but not all elves are avariel. Depending on whether the wings trait is dominant or not, any racial coupling could produce wings.

Yeah I was being a little blunt. To be more precise, based on some mix of common sense, lore and genetic !!science!!, my feeling is that an elf/avariel child could plausibly, but not necessarily, be able to fly. As a GM I would decide to make it happen, just because it's plausible and fun.

With a cross-breed like human/avariel, well..
    According to science the baby should probably die just after birth, if it is viable at all..
    According to lore, half-elves are vastly different from both elves and humans..
    As a GM I would let the baby live, but go with the lore as much as possible for the result.