I was fooling around with BGEE at a friend's and like a lot of the aesthetic changes. Even after 20 years, I'm still doing runs with this game. As is, I run it with Tutu, the fixpacks and a couple other minor mods. However, I'm debating throwing down when the whole set goes on sale to have it for my next runs. Some of the things working in its favor are:
1) Siege of Dragonspear. If only for MOAR CONTENT. I hear it also links the story between BG1 to BG2 which would make a saga run nice for the sake of continuity.
2) The look. It just looks a lot cleaner to me.
3) Being able to just play through the series. Even with Tutu, I find I'm tweaking little things here and there every run. I feel like with EE, I could create a BGEE character and just keep running it through a consistent game.
1) Siege of Dragonspear. I've read a bit about it and have read some mixed reviews. A significant number of players were a little lukewarm on the content. I'm not sure what to make of it. If it's rubbish, I'd rather save the $20 and fill in the gaps with my imagination.
2) A softer version? I've read that it was confirmed that Sarevok's HP was halved for the original. To the point. It's possible to build a character than can just 1HK him. I like the challenge level where it's at and am wary of the changes that might have happened in this regard. Has anything else mechanical been nerfed or changed?
3) Gay pride, or possibly a lack thereof. Let me start by saying that I'm all for evolving past the heteronormativity of the fantasy genre, as long as it's done well. I know the the EE editions do this, and I don't have a problem with that, but I've also read a lot that has said that it just wasn't organic to the game and not done terribly well. BG Classic, even with it's debatably anachronistic perspective on human relationships, still retains a certain verisimilitude. I'm cool with adding new content, but if it doesn't work, I'd rather stick with what works. I'd appreciate some input from the actual LGBT community here. It's EE still Ghostbusters (1984) or is it more like Ghostbusters (2016)?
4) EEKeeper. Not necessarily a point against, but I want to be able to edit a character to be a Cleric/Wild mage. I can do it with SK and classic, but it's a bit of a process. Can this be done with EEkeeper?