Skip to content

staff spear +2 vs. staff +3 and which proficiency next for a C/T?

Part 1:

I'm thinking in terms of a backstab weapon for my C/T. Jah has the staff mace with the shield, and I have 2h style anyway (for extra crits) so for general use, that leaves me with either the staff spear vs. staff+3, essentially it's trading a point of THAC0 for a point (on average of damage (and damage type).

All in all, I think it doesn't matter much. I'm in DT now and the only thing left from here is the rest of chapter 7 (after which I lose everything and have a holiday in chateau Irenicus), but I'm trying to decide if I should change up weapons (side note, I'll also keep the staff of striking for the final battle and special backstabs).

Part 2:

Currently, my C/T has staves, slings, and 2h weapon style and my next slot is right around the corner. Whatever I pick will be to carry me through the beginning of BG2 (until I get another pick at thief level 12). I see a few viable options, and am not sure which way to go. If it matters, my only companion will be Yoshimo, until I get Imoen back. I'll take NPCs just for their personal quests, and drop Minsc and Jah at the CC, ASAP. The way I figure it:

Clubs: Gnasher is a great backstabbing weapon for mages. The four rounds of thorns will interrupt a lot of spellcasting. Blackblood would help with finishing trolls, but Yoshi could just use a fire arrow as easily.

Flails: FoA for when melee is forced, kind of a no brainer, though DoE would be tempting.

Mace: really just for MoD. Even though I'd lose the backstab multiplier backsmashing vamps with it, it still might explode them outright (until my turn undead is powerful enough).

I think the only next weapon not tempting at this point would be hammers since I'm a ways away from UAI for the dwarven thrower and everything I'd need for Crom.
SkatanAerakar

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'd go clubs I think, for being able to use melee but still be able to BS, rather than go for flails. The good thing about flails though is that you get two weapon categories for one pip (flails and morningstars, aka "spiked weapons") so you can collect some easy +2 weapons in the beginning of BG2 (sleeper, everard etc). But clubs gives access to, as you say yourself, the gnasher and blackblood. Personally I like to go clean up the trademeet/druid grove ASAP after Irenicus' dungeon for the amazing offers in the vendors when you finish that quest line and blackblood is therefore a really good weapon accessable quite early.

Dunno if this help at all, just some random ramblings.
    RaduzielGusindaKuronaBlackraven
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Out of the two I'd say that Aule's Staff is better, mainly because it's a lot easier to find...you just have to buy it from a store rather than having to faff about with DT too much
    Aerakar