Skip to content

Everyone gets held and dies in two rounds vs. Aecletec x6

Our levels are already maxed at this point. So, I buff for the battle. Protection from evil 10ft. radius, remove fear, and Jah (who is going to tank off against the demon while the rest of the team takes on the cultists) gets every potion I can throw at her (heroism, mirror eyes, storm giant strength, fire resistance, etc). Also, I throw a free action on Minsc and jah, just for funsies.

I get into the basement, the dialog triggers, and I send out a cloudkill to get the cultists in the back when the demon moves to engage Jah. Minsc is working on the main cult wizard lady, and by the end of round one, half the team is held. In round two, the cultists (even the ones outside the cloudkill) all explode and turn into demons. By the end of the round, only Minsc is unfrozen, but he's about 20hp from dead (and the next round ends him).

So, for starters, I'm thinking the cloudkill was a bad idea somehow, but I would think that would only have effected the mobs that were in it. Aside from that, I can't figure out how we all got wiped out so quickly.

Side note, does -everyone- need mirror eyes? I figured it was just whoever was engaged with the demon. However, that wouldn't explain why Jah was held.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I did wrong here...any ideas?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Everyone needs some form of defense or a way to remove paralyzation, e.g. dispelling arrows, cleric spell, shaman spell.
    JuliusBorisov
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    edited September 2018
    ok, part 2, everyone gets mirrored eyes plus same buffs as above. I take out the cultists, focus on the demon, it stays at "Near Death" fooooooooreeeeeeeveeeeer, while Khalid is peppering it with arrows. It just won't die. Eventually, mirrored eyes wears off and we're back to everyone dying (just a little slower this time).

Edit, I'm definitely thinking it's a bug. I did a solid 150+ damage to it while at "Near Death".
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Sounds odd, I've killed him with a solo swashie... was not a good time.
    Finally beat him, basically with just my C/T, but had to cheese through it. I worked the edges of the room taking out the cultists with a sling and wand of the heavens. After that, potion of mirrored eyes and magic blocking, clarity (just to be safe), then burned through a few charges of the staff of striking and and a fair bit of the sandthiefs ring to backstab it to death. only took 2-3 backstabs, and another half dozen or so misses. I took a hit every time I came out of invisibility, but the damage was minor.

The "near death" thing was definitely a bug. I checked the wiki and he only has 106 HP.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    that battle isnt all that hard if you have the right stuff, i always do it with whoever the warriors are in my party, so usually only 3 chums

so first, potions:

potion of cloud giant STR
    potion of heroism ( since you get around 10+ by this time )
    potion of invulnerability x2

then spells:

protection from evil 10' radius
    haste ( oils of speed now are better, but i do gold piece runs, so dont need to waste those )
    defensive harmony

so first things first, all you need is your save vs spell/death to be 1, hence the reason why i have each warrior chug down 2 potions of invulnerability and since they stack, at max level with a couple protection items, this will get them down to 1 or lower, so no paralyze or instant death jargon

next the STR is useful because you need to kill those cultists quick, if those cultists are dead then demon holmes cant use their body, and killing the cultists is easier than the demon

potion of heroism is good for better to hit and HP from the demon's attacks

protection from evil and defensive harmony gives him a nice -4 penalty to hit ( although watch out for that short defensive harmony duration )

so with that said i send the 3 warriors in ( dont send the rest of the team because a) not necessary and b) they will probably fail the save and get chunked )

and start slaying those cultists as fast as possible, doesnt take long ( the time the cultists are dead defensive harmony is still up )

and once the cultists are dead, start the beat down on demon holmes and its over

easy as pie or piece of cake :)

Grond0JuliusBorisovAerakar
    I don't think it was supposed to be as hard as it was the first time around. I was probably underbuffed for attempt 1, had a bug for attempt 2, and attempt 3 was super easy (though a little cheesy, but I don't have a lot of patience for glitches and I'm just trying to finish this run so I can import to BG2).
    sarevok57
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    That's one fight in particular I find to be easier taking him on solo. Less use of items to protect oneself from him and I don't have to pay attention to what he is doing to the other NPC's. I used to go with a PfM scroll but now just go in with a few potions of magic shielding and keep track of their time limit.
    dunbar
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I always solo that fight with a hasted tank, taking out the cultists first (doing some damage to one then rushing on to do some damage to the next one before the demon catches up with me etc., etc.) while the rest of the party are safe upstairs but still accessible if my tank needs healing or more hasting.
    Zaghoul
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Just adding to the list of useful tips: aside from intermittent use of Vampiric touch, Aec ignores everything that isn't the PC or a companion. So if you don't mind a bit of micromanaging, a single shot from a Wand of Summoning can slow him down by just throwing stuff in his way; he won't kill the summons, just try to go around, making it fairly easy (though cheesy) to box him in.
    Zaghoul
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Weird bug @kneller. Never seen that one.

I tend to use the same tactics most times, a hasted guy runs down and kill off the cultists so I only have to beat down the big guy once. I use whatever I have at hand, ie the fire wand's Scorcher. Scorcers and running around with haste is usually a very effective way to kill things. After every cultist is dead, if I have a party I bring them down or I lure him up into them. IIRC the mage spell protection from petrification works as well as potions of Mirrored Eyes. Been a long time since I played this area though, I usually skip that part nowadays.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    sarevok57Aerakar
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Arrows of detonation + Protection from Magic Scrolls + Potion of Fire Resistance on chars without Prot from Magic. Arrows! Awaaaaaay!
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on