Skip to content

Please share your favorite Player-Character builds (compiling them)

2»

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,325
    edited February 2013
    I've played so many over the years, and any character I liked enough to play all the way through with could count as a favorite, at least for a while.

But a really fun character I did recently was from trying to convert a character from a favorite TV show into gaming stats. And to make things tougher, it wasn't a medieval/fantasy TV show, but rather spy themed action comedy. I thought long about what would Sarah Walker (from Chuck), Bhaal spawn look like? In the show, she's a con-man's daughter, turned CIA agent. So I thought about doing a dual class thief-fighter (or even just a Bard). And we saw her pick locks and crack safes regularly on the show. But what really defined her was fighting. Easily the deadliest character on the show, with knives, guns and bare hands; whether she was wearing BDU or a dress and heals. What makes her extra appealing is a strong moral center and a drive to protect the helpless, even occasionally, against orders.
    So the Neutral-Good part is easy. Unfortunately, the game isn't really "spy themed", so any kind of thief multi- or dual- is just way too weak in melee to be a convincing Sarah Walker. So I went with straight fighter, tank sort. And figured her scores to be:

Strength: 16 (strong for her size, but not a true beast)
    Dexterity: 18 (very quick and graceful)
    Constitution: 18 (high pain tolerance and can easily take the first hit and bounce right back)
    Intelligence: 13 (smart enough, but let's her husband do the real scheming...)
    Wisdom: 15 (strong willed and morally centered, at least as an adult)
    Charisma: 18 (very charming. Should always be party spokesperson!)

I like these scores for her a lot. Very capable fighter but not overwhelming until she gets the Gauntlets of Ogre Power! Weapons at first level are two pips in long sword and two in two weapon style. We definitely saw her gear up occasionally on the show, so I think full armor and dual wielding suits her just fine (BDU and pistols equals full plate and two swords, right?!).
    For a portrait, I edited a screen capture from the show. Its not meant to be medieval, but she's wearing a decorative robe/tunic in the woods; which I think works just fine. If only I could convince someone to do her in armor...image
    Post edited by atcDave on
  • gaerrentgaerrent Member Posts: 14
    For the first time I will try a no reload run. I made a sorcerer (my favorite class, it feels very Bhaal spawnish) and kept the first stat roll unchanged. We'll see how far I get.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I'm liking this one at the moment, a chaotic neutral-aligned (so I don't feel bad about stealing Drizzt's Icing Death scimitar) Blade, Sebastien, with these stats (best of 20 rolls)

Str 18
    Dex 18
    Con 15 (easy to raise to 16 with a tome)
    Int 13 (he batch memorises spells using two potions of Genius to get 97% learn, and 9 spells/level is plenty for a bard)
    Wis 7 (-10 lore, but will raise to 10 Wis +/- 0 lore by end game)
    Cha 15 (still gets to 21 Cha and max store discount with Friends, will also raise base Cha to 16 with the tome)

Colour scheme is red (major) gold (minor).

BTW I've not cast Find Familiar yet, so will have more HP (and a cat!) later.

I picked Scimitars and two-weapon fighting at level 1 and the latter again at level 4, and will do the same at level 8. Will likely pick Katanas first in BG2EE (or maybe short swords, to dual wield Belm and Kundane).

I'm wielding the +1 Wakazashi currently, but ultimately I'll wield Drizzt's +3 Icing Death in the main hand (after pick-pocketing, with some help from potions) and the +2 Rashad's Talon in the off-hand (or the +1 Wakazashi against opponents in plate armour etc.).

Regarding ranged weapons, I've been using a long bow (which gives +1 THAC0) at low levels, which doesn't hit often without profiency, but is bettter than nothing, and later in the game the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy (+5 THAC0) will overcome the THAC0 problem for not being proficient in a ranged weapon, and with offensive spin this gets 2 APR, with each hit doing the max 10 damage.

Current party is mixed alignment - CHARNAME, Dorn, Viconia, Imoen, Neera. I am trying to romance Neera (but think I will romance Viconia in BG2EE and try to redeem her). Will pick up Kivan beofre the Bandit Camp, then drop him for Coran when I get to Cloakwood. Imoen is not dualled (two arcane casters is enough and I find dualing tedious), but focused on Find Traps and Set Traps. Coran will focus on Open Locks and the stealth skills, for scouting and backstabs.

I picked the posh British voiceset (Male5) for him, and see him as a stylish dandy, though I had in mind someone whose ancestors were noble émigrés who fled from a peasant revolt or something, so exotic aristocratic heritage, but bankrupt!

I also had fun with this neutral evil Jester, in a duo run with just Safana: