Skip to content

How should I spend ability points for a Kensai that will dual-class as a Cleric at some point.

The current allocation of ability points is: Strength 18/88, Dexterity: 18, Constitution: 18, Intelligence: 3, Wisdom 18, Charisma:3 (I have 11 ability points left to spend.) where should I spend those additional points (And are my current allocations excellent for a Kensai who will at some point dual class as a Cleric?
butteredsoul

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If you want to be able to use magic items (like wands), intelligence needs to be at least 9 (if you're not bothered about using items in most of BG1 you could start at 8 and boost with the tome). There's very limited penalties associated with low charisma, so that can certainly be a dump stat and stay at 3 if you want. You might though want to put the remaining points into that for RP purposes.
    GoturalJuliusBorisov
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I would advice you to get at least 11 Int to be able to take 3 hits from ilithids before dying.
    JuliusBorisovLammas
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    10 INT (+1 from tome)
    rest in CHA (for RP, having 3 is like everyone will be disgusted by your presence, mechanics wise I think it has an affect on NPC morale levels, but to be frank I've never really seen the effect of that).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited October 2018
    This character is so heavily munchkin'd that it won't matter much where you put those points, but in the spirit of having the strongest possible character, you should put the remaining 11 points in INT and then use the ring of human influence to bypass your low CHA.

Also, I'm with those who say cleric isn't an ideal option for dualing. A key reason to go fighter single/multi is their HLAs which are much stronger than most other classes. If you're going to give them up, then you need to make sure the second class either has even better HLAs or has such strong synergies with fighter that you gain overall from dualing. Thief has by far the strongest HLAs in the game while mage has by far the best synergies with fighter (due to their melee buffs), so dualing to thief or mage would be reasonable despite the loss of fighter HLAs. The case is a lot weaker for cleric or druid, especially since you'll no longer be able to use items like the Copper Coronet's disruption axe, the Flail of the Ages (if going druid), Belm (if going cleric), etc. Don't get me wrong, kensai dualed to cleric or druid is still a strong character, just not as strong as a kensai/thief or kensai/mage dual.
    Post edited by jsaving on
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    Thumbs up for the munchkin-stats/non-munchkin-class juxtaposition!!
    jsaving