Skip to content

What type of character "based" RPGs do you prefer?

SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
Between control only one character or control an party and between being able to create your own character or have an fix character
  1. What type of character "based" RPGs do you prefer?27 votes
    1. Single character - NO character creation(eg : Witcher/Vampyr)
        0.00%
    2. Single character - Character creation(eg : NWN1, VtMB)
      14.81%
    3. Single character - Character creation + can recruit and command companions(eg M&B)
        3.70%
    4. Party based - MAIN character creation + fix companions(eg DA:O, Arcanum)
      33.33%
    5. Party based - Full party creation(eg M&M VI/VII)
        0.00%
    6. Party based - companions with story + be able to create your own(eg P:K)
      33.33%
    7. Party based - NO character creation(eg : FF VII)
        3.70%
    8. Other(please explain on a reply)
      11.11%
JuliusBorisovCvijeta

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Depends on the type of game I'm playing, obviously. I don't need nor expect full character creation or party when playing Diablo. I don't need to create characters for franchises heavily based on novels. I do appreciate creating character and then hiring companions like in Fallouts and Baldur's Gate.

I guess my least favourite is option to create everyone in the party by myself. These aren't characters, really. They are things with statistics.
    ThacoBellProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't see a difference between "Party based - MAIN character creation + fix companions(eg DA:O, Arcanum)" and "Party based - companions with story + be able to create your own(eg P:K)"
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited November 2018
    ThacoBell said:

I don't see a difference between "Party based - MAIN character creation + fix companions(eg DA:O, Arcanum)" and "Party based - companions with story + be able to create your own(eg P:K)"

The difference probably is that one lets you "hire" self-created mercenaries in addition to the companions said game provides. And that the other choice simply doesn't have that feature.
    But the option says the companions are fixed and only offers main character creation. "Main" is even capitalised for emphasis.
    Yes, and the other option states "companions with story + create your own". A clear difference.
    But its not. What RPG has fixed companions that join you and DON'T have a personal story to complete? Because I certainly don't know any.
    Huh...? I can't help but to get the feeling that you're misunderstanding something here.
    Again, there is exactly one difference between both choices you've highlighted: whenever you can create custom NPC's for your party or not. Just that.

Think of NwN2 SoZ if you will. You can create a full custom party in that add-on. Or you can use the voiced companions with a fixed personality the game provides you with. Or a mix of both. That's all there is.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    ThacoBell said:

On Pathfinder Kingmaker you can create custom companions to join you, on Dragon Age Origins you can't. That is the difference.

ThacoBell said:

On Pathfinder Kingmaker you can create custom companions to join you, on Dragon Age Origins you can't. That is the difference.
    But neither option on the poll makes this distinction, unless I AM misunderstanding something.
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

But neither option on the poll makes this distinction, unless I AM misunderstanding something.
    I tried to put examples to make easier to understood the options, sorry about that.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I prefer creating a single character but I love party-based as well as a solo character. I do like making entire parties, but not necessarily to quite the same extent.
    GenderNihilismGirdle

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

I tried to put examples to make easier to understood the options, sorry about that.
    I mean, its not necessarily your fault that I'm confused. Don't need to apologize.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @ThacoBell, think of PoE where you get all those story companions but you can also go to the inn and recruit a "mercenary" which is essentially another player-made character and add them to the team at your leisure. But it's different from ie IWD where you create all characters yourself from the start or from DA:O where the option for player-made 'mercenary' characters doesn't exist next to the predefined characters.

Though I like the option of creating mercenaries myself, I never use them so ultimately if I vote for what I tend to gravitate towards; it's the DA:O option. I prefer fewer, but more fleshed out characters, than many thin ones. I do very little 'headcanon', if any, so I prefer to be spoon-fed well-written characters that help me create the ultimate adventure. The older I get, the more I start to use the standard/default levelups even! I used to prefer having ultimate control of their feats, skills, etc but nowadays I prefer to play them as actual characters and not interfere so much with their class development. Dunno why this has changed, but I've started to like playing characters that are just that - a character, and interact with NPCs as if I only play one person, "myself". I find DA:O and games like ME to be the ultimate NPC games nowadays, though I still like the option to have more than just a henchman or a small party.
    ThacoBell
    Skatan said:

@ThacoBell, think of PoE where you get all those story companions but you can also go to the inn and recruit a "mercenary" which is essentially another player-made character and add them to the team at your leisure. But it's different from ie IWD where you create all characters yourself from the start or from DA:O where the option for player-made 'mercenary' characters doesn't exist next to the predefined characters.

Though I like the option of creating mercenaries myself, I never use them so ultimately if I vote for what I tend to gravitate towards; it's the DA:O option. I prefer fewer, but more fleshed out characters, than many thin ones. I do very little 'headcanon', if any, so I prefer to be spoon-fed well-written characters that help me create the ultimate adventure. The older I get, the more I start to use the standard/default levelups even! I used to prefer having ultimate control of their feats, skills, etc but nowadays I prefer to play them as actual characters and not interfere so much with their class development. Dunno why this has changed, but I've started to like playing characters that are just that - a character, and interact with NPCs as if I only play one person, "myself". I find DA:O and games like ME to be the ultimate NPC games nowadays, though I still like the option to have more than just a henchman or a small party.

I rather have companions with story BUT if the game don't give me an class that i need, i will create custom companions. For example on P:K i created an Druid becaise there are no druid companion ( https://pathfinderkingmaker.gamepedia.com/Companions ) and an Druid was necessary to make an streategy against a part work.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

I prefer creating a single character but I love party-based as well as a solo character. I do like making entire parties, but not necessarily to quite the same extent.

This.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I generally like creating my main, but having well fleshed out companions with stories to interact with. At least the good thing about games that include the option to recruit a merc at the bar in addition to the premade NPCs, is that it's optional. I just love the henchmen banter over silent mercs. Only game I think I recruited mercs over NPCs was PoE1, in part because all the NPCs were so boring and none of them were good at anything.

Wasteland 2 and NWN2: Storm of Zehyr kind of did a hybrid, where you create the core party, but can still recruit some other NPCs. Storm of Zehyr was pretty meh, for me, but I really dug WL2. Scotchmo will forever have a place in my heart.