Skip to content

Microsoft acquires Obsidian Entertainment and inXile Entertainment

124»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DrHappyAngry There's a good path? The main reason I avoided Tyranny is because I have no interest in playing evil.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Yes, there is a good path, it can be a bit tricky to get the option to come up. A decision you thought having no bearing could lock you out of the path and you wouldn't know it till hours later. Like I said, it's still full of tough decisions and it's impossible to save everyone, but there is a route where you lead a rebellion and can play the good guy.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited November 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@DrHappyAngry There's a good path? The main reason I avoided Tyranny is because I have no interest in playing evil.

@ThacoBell, you might want to have a look at this! How to Join The Rebels in Tyranny? (Beware of spoilers though.)

The first time I played Tyranny, I did a blind run upto the end of Chapter 1. I wanted to side with the Vendrien Guard, but the right options to do so were hard to find, and (making the wrong choices) I had to end up siding with the Disfavoured and fighting the Vendrien Guard. The result and the chapter epilogue that followed was very demoralising to me, and I felt really, really bad. (War, imperialism, oppression and the misery of the victims are depicted so realistically and the symbolisms are so relevant, that it reminded me of a dark phase in the history of my own country, and in fact, that of many countries of this world that have faced the bane of imperialistic subjugation.) I just couldn't continue.

So I looked up the internet, did the right choices, and sided with the Vendrien Guard, and oh my! The story just got turned upside down! The plot just took a complete different turn! Now I was playing as the liberator of the people of the Tiers, crushing those haughty, racist Disfavoureds, and those savage Scarlet Chorus fanatics. It felt superb and so highly satisfying! And the final ending also becomes different when you side with the Vendrien Guard.

Tyranny is definitely one of the best games I've played. Give it a try if you haven't already! :smiley:
    My first time through Tyranny I played the same as my first time through New Vegas, screw all the factions, I'm taking over everything for myself >:)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'll see if I can pick it up when it goes on sale.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited November 2018
    Honestly, i think Tyranny can only be enjoyable for me if a "low health" mod come, not a "easy" mode who make you deal more damage but still require you to be pierced 500 times until die. i mean a mod who makes combat more trilling and less repetitive.

On end of chapter one, took around 9 minutes for just an encounter with around 8 enemies. Watching the same animation over and over again. Other think that i hate are cooldown. I wanna use my skill again, why i need to wait for 1min56sec?

The story is EPIC, but the combat have the problems that i hate the most on most modern rpgs. Same can be said on DO:S2. RPG's was since my childhood about creating an believable immersive world. Cooldown, "sponge" enemies and other mechanics really hurts my immersion and enjoyment.
    To be fair, PoE1 had this problem of high health, but PoE2 fixed it. And there are no cooldowns on PoE.

Compare with a more PnP like cRPG, i an trying to solo IWD2, most enemies that encounter die with just one skull trap but some encounters are really hard like Sherincal, not because he can resist 56415614865418654615 nuclear explosions on her face and i need to wait 564165 seconds before i can cast another nuclear explosion by an arbitrary reason, but because he is a well placed enemy, with a lot of supporting unities, a lot of resistances, good abilities, etc; I lost 2 times to her and only managed to win by a little on my third try. This is how encounters on RPG's should be.
    Once you figure out the mechanics and optimize your builds, the fights go way faster. I don't think I ever had the fight at the end of chapter 1 take half as much time as you had, even when I do the really evil thing and betray my allies and have to fight them after, as well. There are also people who have solo'd the game.

Once you figure out the mechanics and optimize your builds, the fights go way faster. I don't think I ever had the fight at the end of chapter 1 take half as much time as you had, even when I do the really evil thing and betray my allies and have to fight them after, as well. There are also people who have solo'd the game.

There is a problem. I really hated the mechanics.

Look to most classic RPG's.
    BG/IWD/VtMB/Arcanum/M&M VI-VIII/etc, none of then have cooldown or ridiculous inflated monster hp.

Both mechanics really hurts my enjoyment of most "modern" rpgs, ruins my immersion...

Dragon Breath on M&M VIII can deal 1-25 pts of damage per dark magic skill, so if you have lv 20 dark magic, it can deal 20 to 500(20*25) damage, if you have 3 Necromancers/Liches in your party, you can easily take out even dragons in one/two rounds.

And is possible to solo the game too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GewEgfJtHVs

Not mention town slaying spell spells like Armageddon who hurts everyone, even your party
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

BG/IWD/VtMB/Arcanum/M&M VI-VIII/etc, none of then have cooldown or ridiculous inflated monster hp.

Eh, M&Ms have recovery time for every action. Not exactly cooldown, but close enough.
    And I'd say the MM monsters could use a bit of extra health too. I even made a mod for MM8, tripling enemy HP and damage simply because otherwise most fights would be over in a couple rounds.

I actually preferred Tyranny's mechanics to PoEs. None of the stupid "This stat affects everything to do with X, because reasons." Magic affects how much damage your spells do, might is weapons damage. Mages are also awesome, unlike their lame counterparts in PoE. I don't really mind the cool downs, the spells that have huge cool downs are ones you don't need every fight. You also get attribute points on level up, so you can build up NPCs how you see fit. I'm sure somebody will chime in with how awesome their mage was in PoE, but druids and ciphers really blew them away.

I'm kind of surpised you don't dig the spell customization system. Getting to add effects and shapes to your spells was awesome. It does take some hunting and exploration to find runes, though, so you may not have been able to do much if you missed them. You can also make sure everyone in the party has a healing spell and at least one buff spell. Off the bat, you won't have too many runes, but at the end of chapter 1 you'll have some flexibility, and after you'll have plenty of ways to customize your spells.

You can also get to the point where you absolutely wreck Ashe and Nerat in a few rounds. Those guys are practically demi-gods, like you and Kyros.

And as for town wrecking level spells

These are kind of plot events and you have to issue them from your tower, but you do get the ability to issue Edicts and drop fire, storms, darkness and other effects on regions. You'll issue them to areas before you go after Nerat or Ashe, and wreck their armies and provide bonuses to you and penalties to enemies in the area.
    edited November 2018
    Ardanis said:

Eh, M&Ms have recovery time for every action. Not exactly cooldown, but close enough.
    And I'd say the MM monsters could use a bit of extra health too. I even made a mod for MM8, tripling enemy HP and damage simply because otherwise most fights would be over in a couple rounds.

Imagine a fireball.
    Casting time - time to cast the fireball
    Casting delay - Time to the fireball appear
    Cooldown - The mage can't cast another fireball for X amount of seconds but can cast other fire spells
    Recovery time - The time to "recover" the energy after you trowed an spell, he can't do other actions until this time pass, an Grand Master of fire magic will be able to cast more fireballs in less time than someone with less proficiency

Recovery time is a mechanic who makes perfectly sense, is a way to "simulate" how much hits you can do with a specific weapon, or how much time you need to regain your energy after you cast a spell. Is not an arbitrary "i can summon the energy of plane of fire only to cast a fire spell that i din't casted for X amount of seconds"

Sure, i rather have an "aiming time", "reloading time", "casting time", than casting delay but casting delay is not the same as cooldown. Cooldown started with generic mmorpg's in a way to balance skills because is the unique way that developers found to prevent you from spamming the best skills.

Make other skills viable in different situations? Make skill X better against enemy Y and skill A better against B? No, since most mmorpg's end game is a rush to inflate the gear numbers, they had no other choices. And now mmorpg's instead of spamming the same skill is spamming the same "rotation"... This mechanic really don't belong to cRPG's or to aRPG's. Should be restricted to generic mmorpg's.

PS : Yes, i rather have insane long casting delay like on Dragon's Dogma than cooldown.

EDIT : I agree that Tyranny attributes are better than PoE

EDIT 2 : About the Dragon Breath, i shaping dark energy to re-create an "natural weapon" of an ancient creature. Of course it should be deadly. Is like imagine that a 14.5x114mm cal IRL, it should be deadly...
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, I could never get into poe. I think I would have liked it better if it had more npcs you could have meaningful conversations with--not all of those named 'ghosts'--and if it used a better rules system.

Edit: I have never even considered getting poe2

Yeah, I could never get into poe. I think I would have liked it better if it had more npcs you could have meaningful conversations with--not all of those named 'ghosts'--and if it used a better rules system.

I was in the same boat, but PoE2 did improve a lot in those areas, I'm really glad I gave it a shot.

PoE 2 did a lot of improvments.

Subclasses, Multiclasses, the story is better, the gameplay too.

How you can use spells to solve "problems" in "book parts" is amazing, unfortnetly, you can't use spell on ship battles. Imagine how cool druids raising an ice wall to stop cannon shots or controlling the wind/sea... I have little to no interest on re play PoE1(din't completed the game), but PoE 2 i will sure replay once i have more time.

PS : I agree about rule system. Mainly with attributes. The lore stablish that Wizards spells are complex. An low INT wiz should't be possible, unless he access the magic in a more "D&D sorcerer" way...
    Hmm, they might be working on that space cowboy game after all.
    https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/obsidian-new-game-rpg-1203038623/
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    hmmm

https://www.windowscentral.com/inxile-entertainment-working-original-wasteland-remaster

InXile Entertainment
    @Inxile_Ent

We are in fact working on a remaster of the original Wasteland.