Skip to content

Running Windows 7 on Parallels

Any idea if this will work for BG:EE?

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I don't see why it shouldn't... Parallels has a quite good graphic card emulator...
  • AngusMcFeargusAngusMcFeargus Member Posts: 3
    It works. I just tried it.
  • pl1ghtpl1ght Member Posts: 7
    parallels 7 or 8? Curious about performance. I have parallels8 and a win8 vm and if it starts to look like the OSX version will be delayed quite a bit i may have to give in and pick up the windows version.
  • GreyhawkGreyhawk Member Posts: 15
    Working well for me with Parallels 8
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I'm running it in Parallels 8 with Windows XP Pro, it it works well and smooth. I am seeing the cursor bug that starts when you move stuff in inventory - is anyone seeing that with Win 7?
    Not seeing it yet
  • AngusMcFeargusAngusMcFeargus Member Posts: 3
    Parallels 8 w/ Windows 7. No graphics issues whatsoever, so far.
    With the Nov 30 patch, it looks like the cursor bug is fixed for Windows XP as well. Parallels 8 / Windows XP SP3 now smooth as butter...
  • PhillUpPhillUp Member Posts: 10
    I've got it running in Parallels 8 with Windows 8 on a Macbook Pro 15" 2009 and everything works like it should.
    So I can only recommend it :)
  • aerefrygtaerefrygt Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2012
    Playing it using Parallels 7 with Windows XP - flawless so far.

I couldn't really wait for the Mac version :\\\ Who would be able to anyway.
    Still running fine. Got a bit difficult when streaming to iPad via Splashtop but I think that might be a doable workaround while we wait for iOS.
  • cirillocirillo Member Posts: 13
    hey..but which graphic card do you have on your mac?? i heard about an INTEL integrated video card problems...and ijust want to know if enybody has it( i have 3000 ..)

thx
    I am currently rocking the old school ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB on my Mac Pro tower. But it is delivering the goods for BG EE.
  • aerefrygtaerefrygt Member Posts: 16
    cirillo said:

hey..but which graphic card do you have on your mac?? i heard about an INTEL integrated video card problems...and ijust want to know if enybody has it( i have 3000 ..)

thx

I also have the 3000 and it works fine. :)
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    Just for the record, BG:EE is running fine on my iMac (ATI radeon HD 5670) via VMware Fusion 5 with windows 7
  • PhillUpPhillUp Member Posts: 10
    Have it running on Macbook Pro with the ATI 6750 and a Mac Pro with ATI 5870
  • aeonsimaeonsim Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2012
    Virtual Box with Windows XP runs the game fine as well on my Mac book Pro (2011), if you want a free alternative.
  • pl1ghtpl1ght Member Posts: 7
    running flawless on my MBA 2012 model with Parallels 8 using windows 8 pro. This is the intel HD4000 chipset as well, but its presented as the parallels video adapter.
  • max787max787 Member Posts: 18
    Running fine on my Macbook Pro :) (Windows 8 preview)

The only thing is that movies, cinematics etc. won't play.
  • 4dartist4dartist Member Posts: 6
    Running the windows version on my Mac Pro 2,1 with a ATI Radeon HD 5870 using Parallels 8, does not work well. The screen just never seems to be right. When you run the game sometimes it just swaps resolutions over and over never settling on a size, and then when you get it to work (by going back and forth to windowed parallels) it just looks wrong, like the bottom will be cut off. So basically every time I play I have to spend 15 mins just to get it to stay on my screen to play and even then it'll have cut off parts on the bottom and top or the sides will be black bars so you have to use arrows instead of using mouse to move around map.
    Are you upgraded to the latest Parallels, and installed the latest parallels tools in Windows? What windows version are you running?
  • bivbibivbi Member Posts: 96
    I tested, BGEE works fine (cursor hide when you scroll and no 16:10) with PlayOnMac (= wine), just need to set the display to gdi (and not opengl).
  • Korevas17Korevas17 Member Posts: 57
    @bivbi Is there anything else (i.e. packages) that you need to install? I keep getting crash errors and the game won't even start =/
  • 4dartist4dartist Member Posts: 6
    Windows 8, Parallels 8. Yes, I downloaded fresh copies of each. I did get it to be more consistant by turning off fullscreen inside of balder's gate menu. It's still basically full screen, but in a windowed form. It works much better.
  • bivbibivbi Member Posts: 96
    @Korevas17 you can't run the installer with it, i installed BGEE on my windows XP (VMWare Fusion) then copie it into my mac and use play on mac after that. it works but you can't update BGEE. I use XQuartz for wine. Test and tell me if it doesn't work.