Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

First rolls for stats and HP

I haven't seen any discussion about players taking their first rolls for a new character and building a character from those attributes. And taking the first roll for hit points when leveling up. Kinda like D&D. But I'm still going thru the discussions.

Zaghoul

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,045
    First roll for stats is pretty uncommon. Older players do it to mix it up occasionally. There are mods you can use to completely randomly generate a character and even this website now.

https://bgautochar.com/

First roll for HP is more common. Though personally I tend to make sure I get a good roll on my warriors' first level up, just because that makes such a difference in the early game.

StummvonBordwehrBlackraven
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 4,632
    as far as i know, any dnd game i have ever played you always had max HP on your first level ( whether is was pnp or pc game ),

second there are actually a lot of players that take their first roll and even LOWER it to make the game more challenging, the "75 stat roll character challenge" sort of speak

Zaghoul
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 603
    The main thing that matters for character power is whether your strength is 18/xx and secondarily whether you have 18s in constitution and dexterity. Any way you avoid that, including playing a first-roll character, is a good idea if you want to be challenged.

• stu-kstu-k Member Posts: 29
    I completely understand the theory behind WANTING the best stats available, what that means for your char and how you can play that char. I also table-game D&D. We roll stats & develop a char with what we roll. Sometimes your high roll is a 16 or 17. Sometimes your level-up HP roll is a 1. Ouch. You play differently when you don't have HP to spare. I know my char in BG is a bit more timid when I'm not maxed. There's also a little more strategy involved. ie - melee has a high probability of dying. On the other side I have brought tidbits of knowledge from BG to the table, even though we've been playing for years. You read a lot about 'no reloads' and 'solo' play, but not much about 'first-rolls'.

• PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 193

First roll for stats is pretty uncommon. Older players do it to mix it up occasionally. There are mods you can use to completely randomly generate a character and even this website now.

https://bgautochar.com/

First roll for HP is more common. Though personally I tend to make sure I get a good roll on my warriors' first level up, just because that makes such a difference in the early game.

Never heard of that site before so I've just had a quick look. It's a bit too random - it just created me a half orc wizard slayer with proficiencies in single weapon style and two handed swords.

• DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 234
    1 hp Mage, let's do this, let's make this work!!!!!!!! *dies instantly to a wolf*

Zaghoul
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 4,632
    Dorcus said:

1 hp Mage, let's do this, let's make this work!!!!!!!! *dies instantly to a wolf*

i had a 8 HP bard die to shank before, good times

Zaghoul
  • stu-kstu-k Member Posts: 29
    its a tough world out there. I played an elvish mage and had to cast invisible constantly and never got into melee.

sarevok57