Skip to content

First rolls for stats and HP

I haven't seen any discussion about players taking their first rolls for a new character and building a character from those attributes. And taking the first roll for hit points when leveling up. Kinda like D&D. But I'm still going thru the discussions.
Zaghoul

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    First roll for stats is pretty uncommon. Older players do it to mix it up occasionally. There are mods you can use to completely randomly generate a character and even this website now.

https://bgautochar.com/

First roll for HP is more common. Though personally I tend to make sure I get a good roll on my warriors' first level up, just because that makes such a difference in the early game.
    StummvonBordwehrBlackraven
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    as far as i know, any dnd game i have ever played you always had max HP on your first level ( whether is was pnp or pc game ),

second there are actually a lot of players that take their first roll and even LOWER it to make the game more challenging, the "75 stat roll character challenge" sort of speak
    Zaghoul
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    The main thing that matters for character power is whether your strength is 18/xx and secondarily whether you have 18s in constitution and dexterity. Any way you avoid that, including playing a first-roll character, is a good idea if you want to be challenged.
  • stu-kstu-k Member Posts: 30
    I completely understand the theory behind WANTING the best stats available, what that means for your char and how you can play that char. I also table-game D&D. We roll stats & develop a char with what we roll. Sometimes your high roll is a 16 or 17. Sometimes your level-up HP roll is a 1. Ouch. You play differently when you don't have HP to spare. I know my char in BG is a bit more timid when I'm not maxed. There's also a little more strategy involved. ie - melee has a high probability of dying. On the other side I have brought tidbits of knowledge from BG to the table, even though we've been playing for years. You read a lot about 'no reloads' and 'solo' play, but not much about 'first-rolls'.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262

First roll for stats is pretty uncommon. Older players do it to mix it up occasionally. There are mods you can use to completely randomly generate a character and even this website now.

https://bgautochar.com/

First roll for HP is more common. Though personally I tend to make sure I get a good roll on my warriors' first level up, just because that makes such a difference in the early game.

Never heard of that site before so I've just had a quick look. It's a bit too random - it just created me a half orc wizard slayer with proficiencies in single weapon style and two handed swords.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    1 hp Mage, let's do this, let's make this work!!!!!!!! *dies instantly to a wolf*
    Zaghoul
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    true story
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Dorcus said:

1 hp Mage, let's do this, let's make this work!!!!!!!! *dies instantly to a wolf*

i had a 8 HP bard die to shank before, good times
    Zaghoul
  • stu-kstu-k Member Posts: 30
    its a tough world out there. I played an elvish mage and had to cast invisible constantly and never got into melee.
    sarevok57