Skip to content

A couple of animation curiosities

GoidaGoida Member Posts: 118
When the Animation Change opcode is cast on someone using the Remove Temporary Change setting, the target's animation permanently switches to that of the caster. The other one is that Raise Dead with the Restore Animation option only creates the right bodies for creatures who have a normal class. Everybody else gets a male or female cleric's body. Anybody know where this is set up?

Comments

• GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    If I remember well the ancient time, that was a feature already hardcoded in the IE old engine.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Goida wrote: »
    When the Animation Change opcode is cast on someone using the Remove Temporary Change setting, the target's animation permanently switches to that of the caster.
    It's intended to be used only on yourself, to re-apply the creatures base animation (ignoring it's current animation) for a specified duration.
    If you use timing mode 1, it will be permanent, just as it is when using the other change settings.
    The other one is that Raise Dead with the Restore Animation option only creates the right bodies for creatures who have a normal class. Everybody else gets a male or female cleric's body.
    The animation is reset as if going through the CHARGEN process - whatever animation that race/gender/class would be granted at character creation is the animation it will receive, the default being HUMAN_GENDER_CLERIC.
  • GoidaGoida Member Posts: 118
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, kjeron. What would it take for all non-standard classes to have a default animation the same as they always have? The point is this: Raise Dead with Restore Animation can reassemble creatures from destroyed bodies, though they have a lovely fleshy coloring all over, probably from having been switched to the chunk color... I just made a spell for that, and limited it to standard classes. But it would be nice to make it something applicable to ogres or carrion crawlers.

Incidentally, this means Raise Dead can be used on the living on switch someone to a cleric animation.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Thanks, kjeron. What would it take for all non-standard classes to have a default animation the same as they always have? The point is this: Raise Dead with Restore Animation can reassemble creatures from destroyed bodies, though they have a lovely fleshy coloring all over, probably from having been switched to the chunk color... I just made a spell for that, and limited it to standard classes. But it would be nice to make it something applicable to ogres or carrion crawlers.

Incidentally, this means Raise Dead can be used on the living on switch someone to a cleric animation.
    Unfortunately chunked deaths change the creatures base animation, so their is no record of their original animation to 'restore'.
    To give them a default animation - ask Beamdog.
    To restore it manually: You would have to apply separate effects through EFF files filtered through opcode 177 by race&class for every animation, and hope that each animation has a unique race/class combination.

All of the creatures color indexes are set to 70, 71, or 72 depending on the death type (chunk, frozen, stoned). For PC-animations, there is no way to restore their previous colors, you could only assign preset/randomized new ones. For non-PC animations, this is only an issue for a handful of them that use the same coloring system as the PC-animations (ogre among them). Others, like the Carrion Crawler, are not affected by their color indexes. The way to determine if an animation uses it's color indexes is this line:
    "false_color=1" in it's respective *.INI file.

Alternatively, for chunked creatures, replace "Raise Dead" with "Reincarnate", and randomly assign a new animation and color scheme regardless of their originals.
  • GoidaGoida Member Posts: 118
    Reincarnation is a possibility, but it's something different from what I'm doing. I couldn't change their major color anyway, for the display of names in the bottom window. Remember, I've asked you about that. But the flesh recoloring of everyone after return from bodily dismemberment is nice. I watched "Evil Dead" the other night, and that gave me ideas. The spell just had to be limited to classy people. Well, thanks for the rundown. :)