There's currently a lack of a multiplayer-oriented NWN:EE base / starter mod, which would be a help to those who want to create their own campaign, or just make their mod multiplayer-friendly. So by the end of this week, I plan to release a version 1.0 of a base mod package for MP builders.
What the builder package is intended to be and include:
– A way for people to get started building their own MP campaign mod, or other mod where they want multiplayer tools and resources, without having to do all their own research and installation of core systems
– Standard pre-installed DM/Player tools (DMFI 1.09 Wands and Widgets)
– Include no-hak and CEP 2.x versions of the base mod
– Multiple rulesets that are configurable (both in the toolset and in-game by a DM) - resting systems, bleeding/death/respawn systems
– Common toolset resources relevant to building for multiplayer (such as the SEI sitable placeables, Abaddon’s Descriptive Triggers, etc.)
– Full documentation that allows novice builders to use the mod
– Links to recommended additional resources, especially prefab areas that can be easily imported into the base mod, and some of the broadly useful script systems such as encounter/spawner ones.
– A light scripting and custom palette footprint. It should be easy for builders to add their preferred additional script systems and haks, rather than be forced to figure out how to rip out or sift through what they don’t want. They should be able to just ignore “extra” mod content without it causing an issue.
What it is NOT intended to be or include:
– “Complete” systems (even if excellent ones) with a heavy footprint across mod event handlers, and/or that include install requirements that give little flexibility to the builder for their own changes, especially a novice one.
– Everything on the Vault/Workshop that is cool: this is not an exercise in seeing how much awesome content can be packed into one mod.
– Systems that have their own lengthy documentation. This is somewhat subjective, but anything that takes even 5-6+ pages to understand will probably confuse the average person who just wants to get on with building areas. (However, this will be appropriate for the documentation's recommended links section)
– Tailored for advanced builders. If you fall into this category, I’m assuming that you’ve already configured your own personal base mod and tweaked everything lovingly so it works together.
– An extensive prefab “campaign kit” or “soundstage” with lots of areas for DMs to use out-of-the-box. This is an interesting concept that has come up again in recent discussions - here's one mention of the idea as a "campaign manager" mod
- but it deserves its own treatment, and probably could be done better by someone else.
I’d welcome thoughtful suggestions for particular community/Vault resources to include in the package, in terms of scripting/toolset/in-game features, that people have had personal experience with using. I'm particularly interested in people's current NWN:EE experiences with NPC management systems (NESS, BESIE, Ambient City etc.), and recommendations for prefabs that are particularly well-suited for importing into new campaign mods.