Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Extra Strong Kobold Near The Nashkel Mines.

I was happily playing my Half Elf Mage/Thief Oswiu Fire-Sky the other night when I encountered two Kobolds on the map with the entrance to the Nashkel mines on.

Thinking this would be a walk in the park my rabbit familiar and I attacked the Kobolds. Easily despatching one, I then decided to move in with my long sword to kill the remaining Kobold, as darts were taking to long. My rabbit got a hit in for 2hp of dmg, the next thing I know I was dead!!!

At first I thought my rabbit had been killed as I was not on full hp only 18 at the time, but surly enough to handle a few pesky Kobolds. However when I read the dialog box the Kobold had hit me for 18 points of dmg? How can this be when they only haves short swords that do 1-6 points of dmg even with a critical it should only be 12 points of dmg? Am I missing something or should I be more carful of Kobolds then I thought?

Comments

• DragonwizardDragonwizard Member Posts: 18
    Do you play on a difficulty setting higher than core? Then enemies do 50% or 100% more damage than usual.

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 5,354
    You mentioned that you were using darts then moved in to attack with your long sword. I've done that sort of thing uncounted times - and it's not that unusual for me to either forget to switch to a melee weapon or to click on the melee weapon, but not check that the transfer had properly been made. If you were still in melee using a missile weapon then the kobold would have got +4 damage ...

JuliusBorisov
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 158
    Do you play on a difficulty setting higher than core? Then enemies do 50% or 100% more damage than usual.

No playing on core rules.

Grond0 wrote: »
    You mentioned that you were using darts then moved in to attack with your long sword. I've done that sort of thing uncounted times - and it's not that unusual for me to either forget to switch to a melee weapon or to click on the melee weapon, but not check that the transfer had properly been made. If you were still in melee using a missile weapon then the kobold would have got +4 damage ...

What is the +4 dmg for? Is the +4 doubled for a critical hit?

If an opponent attacks you in melee and you don't have a melee weapon equipped, i.e. you're using fists or a missile weapon, they get +4 both to hit and damage. That is doubled for a critical.

10Bazza11typo_tillyStummvonBordwehr
    If an opponent attacks you in melee and you don't have a melee weapon equipped, i.e. you're using fists or a missile weapon, they get +4 both to hit and damage. That is doubled for a critical.

Thank you Grond0. I thought it was only -4 to hit if you attacked up close with a missile weapon. I never knew your opponent get a bones to hit and to damage you. Well your learn something all the time. I will accept the death of my PC, roll a new one a start again.

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,859
    For a low level mage, casting Sleep is very valuable vs opponents that are susceptible, it makes a fight a cakewalk!

10Bazza11 wrote: »

Thank you Grond0. I thought it was only -4 to hit if you attacked up close with a missile weapon. I never knew your opponent get a bones to hit and to damage you. Well your learn something all the time. I will accept the death of my PC, roll a new one a start again.

It's actually -8 for you to hit when using a missile weapon in melee range (no damage penalty though). That just increases the reason why it's worth swapping to a melee weapon (or worth running round between attacks to get enough distance to avoid being in melee range).