Skip to content

Extra Strong Kobold Near The Nashkel Mines.

I was happily playing my Half Elf Mage/Thief Oswiu Fire-Sky the other night when I encountered two Kobolds on the map with the entrance to the Nashkel mines on.

Thinking this would be a walk in the park my rabbit familiar and I attacked the Kobolds. Easily despatching one, I then decided to move in with my long sword to kill the remaining Kobold, as darts were taking to long. My rabbit got a hit in for 2hp of dmg, the next thing I know I was dead!!!

At first I thought my rabbit had been killed as I was not on full hp only 18 at the time, but surly enough to handle a few pesky Kobolds. However when I read the dialog box the Kobold had hit me for 18 points of dmg? How can this be when they only haves short swords that do 1-6 points of dmg even with a critical it should only be 12 points of dmg? Am I missing something or should I be more carful of Kobolds then I thought?

Comments

• DragonwizardDragonwizard Member Posts: 22
    Do you play on a difficulty setting higher than core? Then enemies do 50% or 100% more damage than usual.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,313
    You mentioned that you were using darts then moved in to attack with your long sword. I've done that sort of thing uncounted times - and it's not that unusual for me to either forget to switch to a melee weapon or to click on the melee weapon, but not check that the transfer had properly been made. If you were still in melee using a missile weapon then the kobold would have got +4 damage ...
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    Do you play on a difficulty setting higher than core? Then enemies do 50% or 100% more damage than usual.

No playing on core rules.
    Grond0 wrote: »
    You mentioned that you were using darts then moved in to attack with your long sword. I've done that sort of thing uncounted times - and it's not that unusual for me to either forget to switch to a melee weapon or to click on the melee weapon, but not check that the transfer had properly been made. If you were still in melee using a missile weapon then the kobold would have got +4 damage ...

What is the +4 dmg for? Is the +4 doubled for a critical hit?
    If an opponent attacks you in melee and you don't have a melee weapon equipped, i.e. you're using fists or a missile weapon, they get +4 both to hit and damage. That is doubled for a critical.
    If an opponent attacks you in melee and you don't have a melee weapon equipped, i.e. you're using fists or a missile weapon, they get +4 both to hit and damage. That is doubled for a critical.

Thank you Grond0. I thought it was only -4 to hit if you attacked up close with a missile weapon. I never knew your opponent get a bones to hit and to damage you. Well your learn something all the time. I will accept the death of my PC, roll a new one a start again.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    For a low level mage, casting Sleep is very valuable vs opponents that are susceptible, it makes a fight a cakewalk!
    10Bazza11 wrote: »

Thank you Grond0. I thought it was only -4 to hit if you attacked up close with a missile weapon. I never knew your opponent get a bones to hit and to damage you. Well your learn something all the time. I will accept the death of my PC, roll a new one a start again.

It's actually -8 for you to hit when using a missile weapon in melee range (no damage penalty though). That just increases the reason why it's worth swapping to a melee weapon (or worth running round between attacks to get enough distance to avoid being in melee range).