Skip to content

Quick question about backup

i use a bg2 steam game, that i don't update as i don't like some of the changes introduced in the last updates.
i also want to check those changes, but with the chance to revert to the version i use now.
also i want to play some not modded runs, try the tactics mod that now i am playing with the original not ee game and try other mods, without the hassle to uninstall and install the mods every time.

i know the procedure to do a backup with the original game, but as in modern computers we have a huge storage space and ee changed something in the place where the main program and the saves are can someone tell me which is a quick way to create a backup?
it is enough to locate the baldur's gate II soa folder and copy it in an other place? are the saves included in it?

last question, if i create a backup can i directly start the game from it or i have to copy it to the original place every time i want to run a different setup? if possible it will be great as i can have a modded game but i may be want to test something on an unmodded one or i may want to have different runs on different settings going at the same time.
with my way of playing i often reload each hard battle many times and fight it with completely different tactics, my goal is more to test the full potential of a given party and the research of not usual tactics and of exploits than to just beat the game, so some runs last for months.
and after years of playing only hard modded game when i purchased the ee version i tried it without mods finding it really fun to play. so i want to have both hard modded game for when i am in the mood for real challenge and vanilla one for when i want to play in a more relaxed way.

thank you in advance for the answer.

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @gorgonzola, there is no problems in just copying the folder. You can also edit 'engine.lua' to separate the vanilla from modded games. Just change:
    engine_name = "Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition"
    to something like:
    engine_name = "Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition.2.5M"
    or whatever. This will create a new folder in your documents area for your saved games etc. You can change the baldur.lua, copy you custom portratis etc and leave the other as plain vanilla. This can happen with all the IE EE games.

You will need to start the game from the .exe in the new folder. You can create a shortcut and place it onto your desktop if you wish.

Hopefully that answers you Qs
    Gus
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    yep, very helpful, thank you so much :)